How does somebody prove their dirtbike is not stolen without title

Call the local police to run the VIN. That will tell you whether or not it was REPORTED stolen. However I personally would never buy a bike without proper paper work - even from a friend. I passed on an 07 YZ250 for $2G from a friend because he did not have the paperwork. I knew the bike was not stolen and it was a good deal, I just did not want to mess with DMV and paperwork headaches.

Yup. No title is an instant pass for me, no matter how good the deal.

But yes, get the VIN and have your DMV or your state police (stolen motor vehicles go in a federal database) run it through the system. If it's been reported stolen, it'll show up real quick. Bear in mind though, if it comes up stolen, they're going to want to know where you got that VIN# at. Can get ugly then.

Here in Montana, it's super easy get a title. Get an application for lost title, and a VIN verification form (both forms are free of course) Call the police dispatch, and in about 10 to 15 minutes a local officer shows up. He looks at the VIN, and writes it on the VIN verification form. He calls in the VIN to dispatch to make sure it has not been reported stolen. If it hasn't he goes on his way leaving you the completed VIN verification form. You fill out the application for lost title, and bring it, and the VIN form back to the Title desk at the court house, pay $77 and you get a permanent (for as long as you own it) registration sticker (that's right, no renewels ever!)

Here in Montana, it's super easy get a title. Get an application for lost title, and a VIN verification form (both forms are free of course) Call the police dispatch, and in about 10 to 15 minutes a local officer shows up. He looks at the VIN, and writes it on the VIN verification form. He calls in the VIN to dispatch to make sure it has not been reported stolen. If it hasn't he goes on his way leaving you the completed VIN verification form. You fill out the application for lost title, and bring it, and the VIN form back to the Title desk at the court house, pay $77 and you get a permanent (for as long as you own it) registration sticker (that's right, no renewels ever!)

Well, Montana may do it differently than in the New England area. The law enforcement has to call into dispatch for VIN? What hapened to NCIC in their squad's lap top? :banana:

Well, Montana may do it differently than in the New England area. The law enforcement has to call into dispatch for VIN? What hapened to NCIC in their squad's lap top? :banana:

You're absolutely right, it could be different for sure. The LEO was standing in my garage, but I assume he could have used his laptop as well.