HELP! 05 DRZ-400s BSR36 not running right

i've got an 05 DRZ-400s that has about less than 30 miles on it. It's been sitting for years...Everything has been completely dissembled and cleaned. I can't seem to get it to run right at idle. I replaced the Main fuel jet and the Pilot jet along with the 3x3 mod.

Mikuni BSR36

Main jet: 150

Pilot jet: 27.5

What i tried

Put a new plug in

I have tried the fuel screw from 0-3.5 and nothing seems to work right.

I have tried with the choke in/out and middle...

PROBLEM:

The bike will not start right away, or idle right.. it will drive fine but dies at low RPMs.

i want the bike to be able to idle so that i can adjust the fuel screw...

(green arrows show plastic piece that i do NOT have.)

100326mikunibrs36bottom.jpg

Edited by left_coast

Eddie is right. I also have a 05 DRZ 400. This has happened to me repeatedly until I installed a paper element inline fuel filter. Micro rust particles were clogging the pilot jet. I got to be a pro at cleaning it. Once the pilot jet was unclogged, the bike would idle normal.

The symptom will be that it will only run with the choke on, or the revs have to be maintained with the choke off. You'll also hear a spit and sputter in the exhaust note and in general it will run terrible.

On the other hand, if you forget to hook up the vacuum line to the petcock, it will run but the problem will be less pronounced. I can tell you this from experience. I forgot to hook it up once. I thought I had failed to clean the pilot jet properly, but when I started to take it back apart, I found the line disconnected. The effect wasn't nearly as bad as having a clogged pilot jet though. I'd say you've got a clogged pilot jet.

By the way, it's hard to find a paper element filter that small. DO NOT use a nylon mesh one as a substitute. It won't do the job.

Good luck.

Eddie is right. I also have a 05 DRZ 400. This has happened to me repeatedly until I installed a paper element inline fuel filter. Micro rust particles were clogging the pilot jet. I got to be a pro at cleaning it. Once the pilot jet was unclogged, the bike would idle normal.

The symptom will be that it will only run with the choke on, or the revs have to be maintained with the choke off. You'll also hear a spit and sputter in the exhaust note and in general it will run terrible.

On the other hand, if you forget to hook up the vacuum line to the petcock, it will run but the problem will be less pronounced. I can tell you this from experience. I forgot to hook it up once. I thought I had failed to clean the pilot jet properly, but when I started to take it back apart, I found the line disconnected. The effect wasn't nearly as bad as having a clogged pilot jet though. I'd say you've got a clogged pilot jet.

By the way, it's hard to find a paper element filter that small. DO NOT use a nylon mesh one as a substitute. It won't do the job.

Good luck.

I don't see how that could be possible...

I took the carb down for the last time yesterday, i blew out every jet (replaced the main jet and pilot jet). Also pulled the needle jet, added some small washers so it's on what would be equal to the 3rd clip.

The bike is now starting, no idle when chokes in...no low end power, hi-end power is fine... idle adjuster does nothing, tried fuel screw from 0-4.... I have the fuel screw at 2 turns now. What could it be now?? :banana: