broken left clavical recovery time

I broke my left clavical on Thursday. It was a clean break and the bone is still pretty much straight, it's not really angled at all. What are the odds I will be able to race again in five weeks without surgery?

Damn sorry to hear that Johnny, I broke mine June 27, still don't know what happened, blacked out and can't find anybody that saw it.🤣 S**t happens and life goes on.

The biggest things I learned is that it depends on the break, surgery/no-surgery, physical therapy, and more. (When my doc saw mine he TOLD me that I'm having surgery.🤣) With research I've done it looks like typical non-surgery recovery time is 6-8 weeks. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's "motocross" ready by then. What has your doctor told you so far? If you haven't already I'd find yourself a local musculoskeletal center/doctor and NOT your local PCP doctor. I don't know where you live but here in Northern Indiana these guys OSMC are the best (🤣 after all the times I've been there they know me by name. :eek:), I'd try to find someplace similar in your area. Places like that are generally expensive (hope you have good insurance), but do awesome work.

I've had mine out of the sling since 2 weeks post-op, but I'm not supposed to lift any weight yet and wear the sling when I'm around people. So they don't accidentally hit me in the shoulder. :eek: And don't walk into doors, :banana: did that once and thought I was going to die.

Back to your question, my recovery times are; 12 weeks until normal duties and 16-18 weeks until I can :rant: again. The reason it's so long is because of the nature of the break (I needed a plate, 8 screws, and a bone graph), so yours could be shorter. So my season is over, but I'm just glad that I can probably still make the DBA 1.0 ride on T-Day.😉

Here's one of my x-rays, a write up and a lot more pictures are here.

http://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/forum/ride-reports/558-log-road-mx-crash-report-graphic-images.html

Xray_1.jpg

• Like 1

You guys will be riding before you know it. Almost exactly one year ago I busted mine into 4 pieces and did some nerve damage. Got the plate and a big scar. I didn't rush getting back on the bike. Now I'm much faster than I ever was. Though, if I sleep on my side my shoulder is a little stiff in the morning, but it's very minor.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that KawiRider, what's up with everyone breaking their left? :eek:

You guys will be riding before you know it. Almost exactly one year ago I busted mine into 4 pieces and did some nerve damage. Got the plate and a big scar. I didn't rush getting back on the bike. Now I'm much faster than I ever was. Though, if I sleep on my side my shoulder is a little stiff in the morning, but it's very minor.

:banana: Yup, to bad this winter will probably go slower then crap.🤣 On the bright side though, chicks dig scars and this one is bigger then I expected. 😉

I did get nerve damage from the surgery, but 30 days post-op and most of the feeling is back, well there's still about a 6" circle. The nurse said nerves grow back at about a 1/4" a month so who knows how long at will take.

Like I told you in the PHTW thread. My first break wasnt all the way through and returned to football in 2 weeks. It was a bad decision since I rebroke it that same day and that time I was a clean break but all the bones were still lined up. I waited 3 weeks that time and put a little extra padding under my shoulder pads and I havent had a problem since. What I didnt tell you is that I had numerous laser therapy sessions to help it heal faster. Sorry about that.:banana: