XR600R Brake ISSUE

I just changed the wheels on my Honda 1997 XR600R. After taking the wheels off the bike I ran them over to a mechanic who put my street tires and new tubes on. Then ran back to my house and put on the wheels. Everything seemed to fit on just right and snug. Although I did not use a torque wrench because i can't afford one yet (just socket wrench). The wheels seem to be just fine with no wobbling, the break pads look great still, and the break fluids are at the right level. While we had the wheels off we tied the front brake line up with a medal string to not let it dangle. After all was back together and pumping the breaks a little I got on and rode it around.

Now I'm getting "LESS THAN HALF" brake tension when I hit the front and rear brakes. Before changing the tires I used to notice the wheels would practically lock up if I slammed the brakes. Now they cant lock up at all when slamming brakes, and they seem really weak.

My only guess is that we now have air in the brake fluid lines and now they may have to be bled? What else can I check to fix this issue, or is it okay if the brakes don't stop hard when you squeeze them hard????

Also possible that the other tires being off road tires were not grabbing the road like your new tires...and the lock up before was due to poor traction...now the new tires are more street oriented and grab better and won`t lock up due to increased traction on pave...i`d still bleed the buggers real well..i do this about twice a year...and clean the pads and rotors with brake alcohol...and lube the slides too..

B

i am betting that you are finding out the difference between dual sport tires and real street tires on pavement. i noticed a big change when i went from a knobby rear to just a trials tire rear when it came to braking on my '99 xrr. and yes i would do the brake bleeding thing and an acetone or brake cleaner washdown, but i am betting it won't change your brake performance much. tires stick much better on asphalt...

best of luck

neil

Thanks for all the information guys. For a newb like me its extremely hard to tell if anything has even changed at all. The day after the problem I went down my driveway and pushing down on the foot break I was able to skid. Maybe I'm wrong and it still works fine? Anyways I took the bike to a good local mechanic to let them install my street legal lighting kit because I'm sick of all the problems I'm creating. I also told them to check the breaks. I'll post an update and let anyone know what the real break problem is, if there even is one. What I can say is the break pull feels softer than before and the wheels don't seem to have as good traction. Which I guess make since because they're Enduro tires and not Knubbys...