Sprocket Changes depending on ride area

I have an 07 with original chain and sprockets... Id like to change out to say a 49, but Ive hesitated due to what I keep hearing about chain & sprockets changes being at the same time... thing is Id like to switch between the 49 and maybe a 51 or higher depending on where I ride.

Anyone swaping sprockets depending on where they ride? and if so do you have any suggestions or comments on how its working?

Or is it better to just find the happy middle ground and stick with it....

I have an 07 with original chain and sprockets... Id like to change out to say a 49, but Ive hesitated due to what I keep hearing about chain & sprockets changes being at the same time... thing is Id like to switch between the 49 and maybe a 51 or higher depending on where I ride.

Anyone swaping sprockets depending on where they ride? and if so do you have any suggestions or comments on how its working?

Or is it better to just find the happy middle ground and stick with it....

Changing sprockets and chains at the same time is to prevent premature wear of the new part. If the chain is fine, the sprocket will be fine, no matter how often you change it.

A 14/51 combo will make 5th gear more usable without drastically altering how slow you can go in first. If you ride at a walking speed on a regular basis, 13/51 is fine. Some even go lower, but I believe that is because there carbs are not fine tuned enough to let the bike grunt cleanly at low rpm's, or they are going at that slow speed for long durations.

I have found that my bike actually runs better with higher gearing and letting it pull rather than having to rap the engine more. I had 13/53 on my bike for a little while and I switched back because it had some funny exhaust sounds in the 1/2 to 3/4 throttle range when I let off sometimes. I probably need to do some tuning on the needle but it has a tremendous pull from 1/2 to WOT so I wasn't too worried about it.

I liked the 14/51 seemed good for open Dez and still worked well in more technical stuff. I tried the 14/48 but found I flamed out alot on more techy stuff. I'm actually going to a 13/48 now just because I'm too lazy to change the rear sprocket and this should be close to the 14/51.

Changing sprockets and chains at the same time is to prevent premature wear of the new part. If the chain is fine, the sprocket will be fine, no matter how often you change it.

A 14/51 combo will make 5th gear more usable without drastically altering how slow you can go in first. /QUOTE]

Hey thanks thats really what Im after, most of my rides arent technical enough to demand the 13/51, & Id prefer to have the room on the top over the few spots that might be a challenge.

On the other hand there are a few rides during the year that require 13/51 or possibly lower, for those I want to switch out to better gearing, but dont want to wear everything out in doing so.

Edited by 4rideon

A 14/51 combo will make 5th gear more usable without drastically altering how slow you can go in first. If you ride at a walking speed on a regular basis, 13/51 is fine. Some even go lower, but I believe that is because there carbs are not fine tuned enough to let the bike grunt cleanly at low rpm's, or they are going at that slow speed for long durations.

I agree with the 14/51 gearing, it seems to be the perfect gearing to gain a bit of top end but still have the lower end for the more technical riding. I've been tempted to go 14/50, but just can't quite bring myself to do it. I also like the 14 on the front for when I switch to my supermoto setup, I leave the front sprocket on and have a 45 on the rear, which is a perfect combo for supermoto.

i have found 49 rear sprocket great and i use 13 tight single track and 14 and 15 front on fire roads JEEP roads

on my other 450x i have a 45 rear sprocket and 14 and 15 front fire road and long adventure ride on and off road it has a big tank

front sprocket is an easy change i will used 3 front per one steel rear with a good chain :banana:

i like 2 ride a lot

• 2 months later...
i have found 49 rear sprocket great and i use 13 tight single track and 14 and 15 front on fire roads JEEP roads

on my other 450x i have a 45 rear sprocket and 14 and 15 front fire road and long adventure ride on and off road it has a big tank

front sprocket is an easy change i will used 3 front per one steel rear with a good chain ­čśŤ

i like 2 ride a lot

How much did you have to grind down the case saver to fit that 15 front? Or did you pick up another one that fits?

It has been a few years, but I think I took about 1/16 to 1/8" off the stock case saver to get the 15 tooth sprocket to fit. I haven't seen an aftermarket case saver that will work with the 15 tooth sprocket.

I also had to trim the plastic chain slider.

No problems so far with the shaved case saver or chain slider and they have survived one thrown chain so far.