Slow DRZ

Hi all,

Not sure but my old account dissapeared so re-enrolled. Anyhow..

Got my S up and running but its so slow!! Gets up to 45-50mph ok but its a very long time to get to 60mph. Top speed is 63 so far!. Pretty rubbish. I use it for green lanes but do a lot of road miles to get to them. Top gear is next to useless.

Any recommendations to get some more oomph would be great.

Thanks

UWI

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something is seriously wrong. Has it been modded in any way? What exhaust does it have, has it been rejetted? Has the 3 X 3 hole been cut in the airbox, has the airfilter been cleaned? are the brakes binding etc ect!

dan

I think the previous owner had changed some sprockets. No mods or changes. No 3x3 airbox.

It was slower and only got 55mph. I changed oil and air filters, stripped carb (filthy) and got it up to 63mph. What is the standard sprocket set up?

Im a newb to mechanics so learning as i go.

Thanks

UWI

15/44

If the gearing on a stock DRZ is changed to the point where it tops out at 63mph, the bottom end would be a bit nutters. You'd be able to tell. In the UK, does the DRZ come with any kind of a throttle stop or governement regulated modifications to make it "learner legal"? If it doesn't, than there is something wrong with the motor and I would start pulling the top end apart. If the carb was very dirty that shows that it wasn't maintained properly and there might be other more serious problems with the engine itself.

If it takes a while to get to 60 it is not a gearing problem unless you are revving it to the limit? I run 13/48 and have no problem with my bottom end! 14/48 is a popular compromise used over here, it depends on where you ride it and at what speed.

Does it start ok? Does it miss fire? Does it tick over? or does it just stuggle for power?

Does the carb open up fully on full throttle? are the cables ok? are all the vacuum tubes connected properly? Do the brakes bind?

And most importantly what's the history, why wasn't it running before? I wouldn't advise a strip down just yet, there's plenty of other things to check first.

Dan

Look on the left hand side of the carb.

You should see a small brass coloured unit at the bottom.

Its the carb solenoid.

You should see a pipe with a spring wrapped around it that runs from the back of the solenoid (on the right hand side of the carb) that runs to the plastic cap at the top.

Ensure that the pipe is either connected or blocked properly at the black cap.

There should also be a pipe that runs from the solenoid to the rubber boot between the airbox and the carb.

It connects to the brass coloured spigot next to the solenoid, nearest the airbox...

If its still connected, I would recommend blocking the pipe from the black plastic carb top with a bolt or something.

Then do the same with the pipe that runs from the airbox boot to the carb.

I think you need to get a 135 Pilot Air Jet as well.

Part Number - N100606-135

It is designed to stop you getting full power in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd, but when the tube came off mine, my bike ran out of power completely even in top gear...

Mine would only get to around 60mph, but when I reconnected it, I got the power back.

I then removed the solenoid and blocked the pipes and it makes a big difference....

Good luck...

As for gearing, if it was only capable of doing 63mph flat out, it would be running something like 12/56 gearing...

Which would be fun if you like travelling without any steering :banana:

Did you happen to note what jets were fitted to the bike, when you cleaned the carb?

Hi Guys, I had a quick look at the bike today in my break. Im running it as I bought it so have 13 front 43 rear. The bike also came with spare 43 and 47 rear with 14 and 15 front.

As far as I know there are no mods done, definitely no 3x3. Im not sure what jets are there at the moment as I dont know how to tell. The bike accelerates up to the top speed stated earlier, when put in top gear it all goes flat as a pancake and maxes at 60-63.

The bike used to be a pig to start until i changed the filters and spark, now starts ok and runs ok. I think the choke needs attention as it is not working properly.

The guy i bought it from said he put new pads on, but the breaks are still useless. should be well bedded in by now.

I ride greenlanes but also a fair bit of tarmac to get to them.

Cheers

Where are you in the uk? If the choke is not working then I suggest a carb prob, you should be able to rev out in top, not struggle to get to 60. When you say changed the filters what do you mean, oil and air filter? have you cleaned and oiled the air filter?

I assume there are no funny engine noises like knocking or rattling and no misfires just poor performance? Also do as previous poster says and make sure that there are no hoses left un attached.

Dan

No retriction on the bike. I know of the two previous owners from a shooting forum i have been on for many years.

Devondan, Im based in Lancing, West Sussex. No funny noises, rattles, misfires etc. The more i hear the more it sounds like carb problems.

Cheers

UWI

Hi Guys, I had a quick look at the bike today in my break. Im running it as I bought it so have 13 front 43 rear. The bike also came with spare 43 and 47 rear with 14 and 15 front.

As far as I know there are no mods done, definitely no 3x3. Im not sure what jets are there at the moment as I dont know how to tell. The bike accelerates up to the top speed stated earlier, when put in top gear it all goes flat as a pancake and maxes at 60-63.

The bike used to be a pig to start until i changed the filters and spark, now starts ok and runs ok. I think the choke needs attention as it is not working properly.

The guy i bought it from said he put new pads on, but the breaks are still useless. should be well bedded in by now.

I ride greenlanes but also a fair bit of tarmac to get to them.

Cheers

<

what was the color of your spark plug (the part that is inside the engine) whiteish or blackish?

Running 13/43 is roughly the same as running 14/47, which I believe is the stock for the e model, and should easily get you going faster than 60mph.

Best bet is to pull the carb and post up the jets and needle (and which clip) are in it now to verify the jetting is correct.

If you haven't learned to pull the carb, now's a great time to learn. The bikes are pretty easy to work on and a good bit cheaper to do the work yourself than to pay a shop.

On a cold / damp day I use the choke. Sometimes it increases the revs and sometimes not. Little difference between the first and full stop. On occasion the engine cut out on choke. When this happens I turn off the choke and use a little throttle for a minute. Engine runs fine after that :0)