Grease niplles on rear suspension?

Just picked up a 2007 CRF450X with very low hours, not even boot marks on the frame or cases, sweet bike, took it for a ripp this morning. I was surprised to find no grease nipples on the rear suspension.

Has anyone added grease nipples to the rear suspension?

Any thoughts...

Thanks.

You are talking about modifying one of the most stressed components on the bike.

There is a reason that NO factory team puts zerk nipples on their rear linkage: it's already too brittle.

Now, if it were Billet, that would be different.

Or an XR650R's linkage, which is built like a bridge abutment.

Besides, a Zerk fitting does not guarantee that the grease goes where it's needed. It just follows the path of least resistance.

You are talking about modifying one of the most stressed components on the bike.

There is a reason that NO factory team puts zerk nipples on their rear linkage: it's already too brittle.

Now, if it were Billet, that would be different.

Or an XR650R's linkage, which is built like a bridge abutment.

Besides, a Zerk fitting does not guarantee that the grease goes where it's needed. It just follows the path of least resistance.

Maybe you are right about the linkage being too brittle but a bunch here wont be doing radical triples or anything extreme ...plus that's the factory team with a huge expense account and they change out their parts every race if they want to. I think I would like to investigate this more and your point is well taken. You may be totally right. I don't know anything about the strength of metal there but I do like the thought of getting at least some grease in there. I think a TT search is in order to see what others have done here to add to the mix.

Maybe you are right about the linkage being too brittle but a bunch here wont be doing radical triples or anything extreme ...plus that's the factory team with a huge expense account and they change out their parts every race if they want to. I think I would like to investigate this more and your point is well taken. You may be totally right. I don't know anything about the strength of metal there but I do like the thought of getting at least some grease in there. I think a TT search is in order to see what others have done here to add to the mix.

You have to take it apart. It has roller bearings and fine surfaces that need to be purged of dirt and water. A zerk fitting is better than nothing , but only postpones the inevitable.

You have to take it apart. It has roller bearings and fine surfaces that need to be purged of dirt and water. A zerk fitting is better than nothing , but only postpones the inevitable.
I think you are right but another simple addition to delay more work maintenance wise is attractive .

Let me say this. I disassemble, clean and lube my linkages and steering stem on all my bikes every spring. We ride some pretty wet, sloppy, nasty stuff from time to time, with the occasional water crossing.

My DRZ has greasable linkage, and each zerk gets one pump before every ride. None of my other bikes have zerks.

Now, that said, when I tear down the DRZ, the bearings are always shiny clean, with no rust, pitting, damage or signs of wear. They always look sparkling new.

Wish I could say the same for the rest of my bikes, their bearings never look as clean as that DRZ's.

I guess giving them a pump every ride not only gets fresh grease in there, but also helps drive out any dirt or moisture that may find it's way in there.

And you don't have to get the big monster zerks used on farm equipment or dump trucks, you can get them as small as 1/8".