well.. im good at replacing the ballancer now!

Had a bit of additional vibration in the ol' 04crf450 after Ian installed the new crank, head valves, piston, etc. a few months back.. and discovered the balancer mark did not line up with a drive gear. While i had it out, the oil pump side of the balancer showed some wear, and grooves from the roller bearing that could be felt (wears on the weight side, and testament to the mega hours that this motor has seen).

SO.. found a good one with my used crf/honda parts guy Matt Reddig out in WA and sat down today to put it in. (OH.. and doing the water pump shaft for the first time since i got the bike in 06. )

Drained oil, case covers off, ballancer nut off, remove the right side bearing, remove the left seal and pound out the left side roller bearing, new bearings in, slide in the newish balancer, new wp shaft, oil seal/wp seal, put on the right side case cover, impeller, wp cover, in goes the coolant and trans oil..

go to put on the left stator cover..

What is that round seal.. CRAP.. it's the balancer seal.

Get to to it all again. :banana:

unlike!
Don't know what it's called, but it's the only bolt that is weirdly shaped. Just wondering how you got it out.

no issue, but wish i knew what bolt your talking about so others knew. I really had no issues other than the nut on the end of the balancer. It should have a special 4 prong socket but i just used channel locks and a punch and hammer. crude.. but got er' done.

no issue, but wish i knew what bolt your talking about so others knew. I really had no issues other than the nut on the end of the balancer. It should have a special 4 prong socket but i just used channel locks and a punch and hammer. crude.. but got er' done.

Yes that's the one I'm talking about. I get nuts and bolts mixed up lol. What about torquing it up though? Surely a punch and hammer won't yield the correct results??

Yes that's the one I'm talking about. I get nuts and bolts mixed up lol. What about torquing it up though? Surely a punch and hammer won't yield the correct results??

while not exact, when you have been working on bikes for 30+ yrs you get it in the ballpark. The newer balancer is more difficult to get right as the weight is aprt of the gear, hiding half of the 4 prong nut. The original 04 one i have has a weight that is seperate and you can get a pair of chanel locks on it. I found what 34+- ft pounds felt like with my torqure wrench, and applied similar force with the channel locks. Not exact, and scary to watch, but does the job..