YZ250f or keep my old Cr250r

A guy asked me about trading my 2000 CR250r for a 2004 YZ250f with a brand new rebuilt motor high compression piston, trick valves and stage 2 hot cams. I am thinking about it and thought I would see what you guys thought.

I used to ride tracks but now only sometimes. Mostly these days I ride trails with my buddy.

I am mostly concerned about weight. I am 6'1 235lbs. Would this be enough bike for me? I like nimble bikes on trails. Would the 4 stroke be heavier? Or better in trails?

Never rode a 250f. I hear Yamahas have the most worry free motors around though.

Wha do you guys think. Keep the CR or trade? Let me know why.

Thanks!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the stage two cams will let you rev it to the moon and will react closer to a smoker than a stock YZF. were you using the CR to its full potential? if not then a 250 with the mods listed should be perfect.

as far is weight the honda is 213.8lbs and the yamaha is 208lbs. so the yz will be a bit lighter but not by much.

the YZF is known for being damn near bullet proof, just change the oil and your good to go.

the stage two cams will let you rev it to the moon and will react closer to a smoker than a stock YZF. were you using the CR to its full potential? if not then a 250 with the mods listed should be perfect.

as far is weight the honda is 213.8lbs and the yamaha is 208lbs. so the yz will be a bit lighter but not by much.

the YZF is known for being damn near bullet proof, just change the oil and your good to go.

hit the nail on the head

rideandshoot, thanks for the info.

I am 100% sure I have never used the cr to its full potential. That would be sweet if I could say I did though.

I am guessing the 250 2t will have the peak blast of power but the 250 4t should have more usable power throughout the rpm range.

If I took the 250 4t to an mx track it should still be able to perform as good as the 250 2t...with me riding it?

the yzf will make more usable power down low in the rpms and pull harder, you dont have to keep it wound up in the rpms like a 2t so its easier to just twist the throttle and go. With the new cams itll make even more power. itll pull you around the track just as fast if not faster with less effort.

I must disagree with the above opinions. Any 250 two stroke is going to make more power at any rpm than a 250 4 stroke, and the 00-01 hondas are known for their solid low end and trail-friendly power. I used to have an 01, and with a 12 oz FWW, it was super chuggable, but still plenty entertaining at the track.

You may like the 250f, but you had better ride a few first. They are going to feel very tame and slow compared to your present bike.

I must disagree with the above opinions. Any 250 two stroke is going to make more power at any rpm than a 250 4 stroke, .

not tryin to start some e-fight just tryin to understand, but how do you figure this? I never rode a honda 2t but i had a yz 250 then moved to a yz250f, and the yz250 has no power down low all the power it made was in the high rpms. Like if your movin slow thru a trail and hit the gas it would pull slow until the power band would kick in and then it would take off were as the 250f will just pull hard thru out the rpm range.

not tryin to start some e-fight just tryin to understand, but how do you figure this? I never rode a honda 2t but i had a yz 250 then moved to a yz250f, and the yz250 has no power down low all the power it made was in the high rpms. Like if your movin slow thru a trail and hit the gas it would pull slow until the power band would kick in and then it would take off were as the 250f will just pull hard thru out the rpm range.

a yz250 of some unknown year is not a 2000 cr250r you realize that right?

I rode a 2003 CR250 and a 2002 YZ250F (with a 300cc top end kit) back to back this spring, about 30 min on the YZF. I think that the 4t made better power down low, but really lacked the ripping pull of the CR when in the correct rpm range. I had alot more fun riding the CR. I only ride trails, fwiw. If you are good at using your clutch, I think you will prefer the CR. And you WILL miss the simplicity.

I rode a 2003 CR250 and a 2002 YZ250F (with a 300cc top end kit) back to back this spring, about 30 min on the YZF. I think that the 4t made better power down low, but really lacked the ripping pull of the CR when in the correct rpm range. I had alot more fun riding the CR. I only ride trails, fwiw. If you are good at using your clutch, I think you will prefer the CR. And you WILL miss the simplicity.

I bet the yz300f makes more bottom end than a 03, the 2003 cr250r have very poor bottom end, and are well known for that, 02+ has the case reed electric power valve and too much case volume, they are known for less bottom end

Keep your cr250r. The yz250f is a nice bike, but it will feel downright slow compared to your 250 2 stroke. The 250 2 stroke is in my opinion the absolute best mix of power and weight that you can get in a trail bike. Plus, they the 250 2stroke is brainless in terms of maintenance, and is easier to start if and when you stall or crash. My old crf was more than capable or ruining my day if I ever flipped it over or flooded it.

I noticed the same thing when comparing my 2002 KX250 to my 2004 CRF250X (air box cut, 250R cam, 250R exhaust and jetted for mods) The CRF is way more snappy right off of idle than the KX but the KX pulls like crazy once it is on the pipe....I have never ridden a 2000 CR250 though.

i know that the 2t has more power overall than a 4t of same size, but i didnt know the cr had such power down low in the rpms. like i said my yz 250 was hard on trails cause i had to keep the rpms high or it had no go to it. so you think the cr250r is a better trail bike than the 04 250f? Maybe its just me but the torque of the 4t really helps me on trails...

This is a cool debate.

About the cr having low end grunt, it really really does. On tight trails I never even see mid power and it works great.

I think the 4t might work me less in the tight trails with the engine braking as opposed to the 2t. In longer tight trails my clutch hand feels overworked big time. 4t might help with that..?

I also have a 2007 KTM 450sxf and in the trails it is borderline torture. On a mid to large sized mx track it makes the CR feel like a kx100.

Maybe I just want it because I have never had a 250 4t. :banana:

In longer tight trails my clutch hand feels overworked big time. 4t might help with that..?

that wat i ment when i said the 4t torque helps me, i dont have to work the clutch as much, and when you let the engine breaking take over its less work on you