Used Bike Buying Tips

Im not one to say to use the search feature when its alread been covered thousands of times. Checking the bearing freeplay never hurt if i didnt do it when i bought my bike i wouldnt have noticed my rear wheel would need to be respoked. You will have to drain the oil to see the oil filter. you can always check it to see what color it is. bring some tools like 8,10,12 mm sockets ask the seller if you can pull the seat and check the air filter. See if he has any recipts of anything. Ask why he is selling it. An important one to do the first thing you get there though is to see if the engine is hot if it is you cant check the radiator and there won't be the hidden surprise of starting it with 3 kicks. If it is hot get back in your car and drive away tell the seller you will be back when the motor is dead cold. And important thing to check is leaky fork seals and radiator is the radiator full what color is it? One thing i like to do i check when the tires were manufactured in an oval circle there are 4 numbers for example 2309 the 23 is the 23rd week of 2009 so it has fairly new tires if its an 04 and has the last 2 digits of 04 and there is a lot of tread left its safe to say the bike has low hours. Another important thing is to ask how many hours they think it has and what they do for maintance this is a place to start and the list will go on and on. Riding the bike: observe how many kicks it takes is there any smoke apon start up being its a 4 stroke smoke is bad. When the clutch is held in and the bike is in gear does it lunde? make sure your brakes work and your kill switch work shift through all the gears at different rpm's thats all i can think of but do a search if you need more info

• Like 1

My advice is to not buy a used 250f. Only the owner will know what you are buying, and he ain't gonna tell you that he is selling it because he doesn't want to pay the money on the maintenance that the bike needs. 250f motor- tick..tick..boom...$$$

An important one to do the first thing you get there though is to see if the engine is hot if it is you cant check the radiator and there won't be the hidden surprise of starting it with 3 kicks. motor is dead cold.

One thing i like to do i check when the tires were manufactured in an oval circle there are 4 numbers for example 2309 the 23 is the 23rd week of 2009 so it has fairly new tires if its an 04 and has the last 2 digits of 04 and there is a lot of tread left its safe to say the bike has low hours.

Great tip on the tires!!:banana: I never thought of that one.

One thing I do have a question on is the hot/cold issue. I am a 2st guy so I know what you mean about looking at a bike that has been started and warmed up before you get there. I may way off basis here but I thought that 4st had a harder time starting when they are hot?? So it would in his benefit to have a hot motor to reassure the valves are not bad RIGHT?

Great tip on the tires!!:banana: I never thought of that one.

One thing I do have a question on is the hot/cold issue. I am a 2st guy so I know what you mean about looking at a bike that has been started and warmed up before you get there. I may way off basis here but I thought that 4st had a harder time starting when they are hot?? So it would in his benefit to have a hot motor to reassure the valves are not bad RIGHT?

Yeah im so used to 2 strokes and having the cold engine apon arriving but ive never been to look at a 4 stroke but i guess it would be good for the seller to have it warm so you know the valves are not bad. Good point.

Also for 2600 for a 2007 250f is a fairly good price but again i would ask him for recipts for the top end and valves if it were me i would offer him maybe 2500 looks like a good find though:thumbsup:

No you want it cold, it could be a real bear to start if something is wrong with it, and if thats the case you want it there cold for you... It only takes a few minutes to warm up anyways so let it warm up then take it out for a drive to see how it feel's.

overall hours is much less important than the general condition of the bike, Ive seen bikes that are clapped out within 15 hours and 200 hour bikes that are pristine. for a 250F I would look for a bike with a recently rebuilt motor. suspension bushings, bearings, etc never factor in much to me because they are so easy and cheap to replace, same with tires.