New to street riding.

Been on dirt bikes before, and want to get a learner street bike. Was thinking about a Honda Rebel, a 250, because I'm a small frame, and don't need much power. Been reading on here too, and I'm just confused. All my buddys have Harleys, and say I'd look just fine on one. Just not all that into them.

Yeah well, I weight in at 140 lbs, and would probably just use it to cruise the backroads on rides. If I grew out of it, fine, but I'm not about to buy a 500 or something just yet. I heard a lot of people telling me to find something that I am comfortable with because the last thing you need is to be scared of your machine. I guess what I'm asking is-(for my size, and being new to street riding but not riding in general) would that be a wise choice? Are they good bikes? What is the maintenance like?

I think that a 250 street bike would just not have enough power to stay comfortable out on the road and would be horrible on the highway.
u crack me up lol.

but honestly a 250 will be just fine, i ride a 250 ninja and its super fun, quick, and just fine on the highway.

a 250 is a great choice to start riding super low insurance for one. cant get into too much trouble with speeding ( if ur smart). and easy bike to learn on in terms of riding. oh and cheap-ish to buy.

I'm a heavyweight and ride an RZ350. Granted it's not your average small bike but it's no 'Busa either. Americans disdain for smaller bikes means we miss out on some very cool bikes. And then there's the accident figures from buying too much bike because that's what was easy to find. Having said that the Rebel is a bit of a turd in the power dept. even for a 250. Take a look at the GS500f Suzuki. Excellent beginner bike with plenty of room to grow and they're present in decent numbers on the used market for $2-3K. Insurance will be reasonable as well.

Oh and take a class. Most states if you pass the course you get your license and insurance will be discounted as well. Worth the money and effort.

Unless you absolutely have to have a cruiser, I'd think about a Suzuki TU250 or any of the small motards i.e. CRF230, or the one from Kaw.

Yamaha made a Virago 535 that is surprisingly good power-wise. You oughta be able to find one for decent money if you gotta have a cruiser. The V-Star 650s feel kinda slow and heavy for what they are..........at least slower and heavier than the 535 Virago I resurrected for a customer.

i sat on a few rebels when i was looking for a street bike, but found that i just felt cramped. also if your going on the expressway you will be pretty much maxed out just to maintain speed. i would look at something in the standard bike form, in like 500cc's they will not be over powering, but have enough to grow with

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, those little tiny 250 cruisers are maybe alright for urban/in town commuting, but are lacking in several ways out on a real road. They make around the power of a TTR-230, giving you maybe (and I stress "maybe") 65mph top speed with a tail wind. Will get blown all over the place around car traffic, and are really low and small, making them very easy to hide in a car blind spot.

If you must have a 250, I'd suggest a Ninja 250, preferrably the newer version. Up a little higher, slightly more power, muuuuch better handling, brakes, etc.. As light as you are, it would work quite well for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to riding as well. I did a lot of research before I bought my bike and ended up with the Suzuki SV650S. I have owned it for 2 months now and don't have a single regret. I am 5'5" so I had to get it lowered 2" but that is all the modification I had to do on it. I weigh 115 lbs and although the bike is heavy for me, it's definately doable. Has enough power (already got a speeding ticket!) to get me where I want to go and handles awesome when I want to really get into the corners.

Good luck!

I am new to riding as well. I did a lot of research before I bought my bike and ended up with the Suzuki SV650S. I have owned it for 2 months now and don't have a single regret. I am 5'5" so I had to get it lowered 2" but that is all the modification I had to do on it. I weigh 115 lbs and although the bike is heavy for me, it's definately doable. Has enough power (already got a speeding ticket!) to get me where I want to go and handles awesome when I want to really get into the corners.

Good luck!

Another awesome bike! My prefference for my next track bike. Good friend of mine has rode one (though somewhat modded) in the Race group at our local roadrace track with great results.

sv650s lover.. have you been here.. http://forum.svrider.com/ .. yet?

Edit: here's a video of a well riden SV650 handing a poorly riden R1 it's azz at the track..

95% rider.. 5% bike.:ride:

• TT Store Sales/Support

A Rebel 250 is an awesome beginner bike. Theres nothing wrong with learning on a cruiser if thats the type of bike you like anyways. They arnt going to power wheelie in 3rd gear, or do 70mph in first gear like my bike, but thats exactly why you should buy one as a beginner. Many insurance companies judge your price by the TYPE of bike as well as displacement. In this case a 250 Cruiser will be cheaper than a 250 sport bike. If you take a Motorcycle Safety Course here in Las Vegas, they dont even offer a sport bike for the class, only enduros and cruisers...

From what you describe the type of riding you intend to do will be perfect for a cruiser and your back will love you too, the older you get, TRUST ME! :ride:

I've been looking myself, trail riding in my youth, street bikes here or there (of friends) so I should consider myself a newbie. I am leaning more towards vintage 500cc Royal Enfield/Norton/Triumph or Dual Sport or Moto (KTM Duke - too much bike? or Suzuki DRZ 400 - too little?) Of course the dealer pushed me towards Gladius (too much). The characteristics of handling are vastly different right? turning, suspension, feel, center of gravity? SUGGESTIONS?

I just started street 2 months ago with years of dirt bike experiance. Picked up a Gladius at a good price and couldn't be happier. Taking the MSF beginner course was a good move as I learned alot more than expected. 1500 miles and counting .. :ride:

Edited by ITSDOABLE

Thanks for reply. I've looked at Suzuki DRZ "super motostyle" only 400cc's. Looked at KTM, too much bike maybe and pricey.

I sat on a Gladius and actually liked it quite a bit.

Got my Safety course SAT & SUN, so the process has started. Would like to know some handling characteristics of the Gladius if you can put that down in writing.

Thanks - JZeek

The SV line (Gladius, SV650, even the SV650s) make perfect beginner bikes, that can be modded and rode all the way to the race track.

They make very little power in stock form, so you really have to TRY to get into trouble. But, once again, can be modded to make enough power to work (along with some suspension mods) on any 2 mile or less race track.

Handling, and power characteristics, are designed, in stock form, to be very predictable (to the point of being boring in a few weeks). Perfect for a new rider.

I learned to ride in the late '70s on a 'Zuk X-6 Hustler, Kawi triples, RD350 Yamahas, all 2 strokes, foul natured, extremely unpredictable (especially the Kawi triples) power curves, no suspension, s**t tires.. and I lived.

Get the Gladius, ride it, and enjoy it. 2 wheel life on the road is great these days, believe me.😏

The SV line (Gladius, SV650, even the SV650s) make perfect beginner bikes, that can be modded and rode all the way to the race track.

They make very little power in stock form, so you really have to TRY to get into trouble. But, once again, can be modded to make enough power to work (along with some suspension mods) on any 2 mile or less race track.

Handling, and power characteristics, are designed, in stock form, to be very predictable (to the point of being boring in a few weeks). Perfect for a new rider.

I learned to ride in the late '70s on a 'Zuk X-6 Hustler, Kawi triples, RD350 Yamahas, all 2 strokes, foul natured, extremely unpredictable (especially the Kawi triples) power curves, no suspension, s**t tires.. and I lived.

Get the Gladius, ride it, and enjoy it. 2 wheel life on the road is great these days, believe me.😏

What he said on SFV650 Gladius. Been canyon riding the tight twisties in awesome fall weather here in Colorado. Nice bike for beginner (with dirtbike experiance) doing twisties or urban assault. Just enough power to make it fun, but not too much to scare the h*ll out of you. Very predictable in the corners, which they tell me comes from the stiff trellis frame and mild power curve (if 65mph in second gear is mild). Suspension can be upgraded as I've just picked up a new GSXR600 rear shock off Ebay for $90, a direct bolt in. Though I've never been on one, I'd think a 250 would be way underpowered for anyone with previous motorcycle experiance.

Check out http://forum.svrider.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Edited by ITSDOABLE

I'm a heavyweight and ride an RZ350.

Nice! I'm about 210-215 and sold my old RD350 a few years back. White Bros swingarm, Spec II pipes, big carbs and pods, all the fun stuff. The main and thrust bearings where starting to go (keep going thru stators, ran out of used to find).😏😛

38 year old bike, still running (barely) and got $1000 for it.

I was always a believer in small, but fast bikes too. That 350 used to stomp modern 750 sportbikes, at least until they figured what was going on!:cheers:

Im 135 soaking wet and I ride a 09 R6 and GOD I LOVE THIS BIKE. My first bike was a 98 cbr 600 when I was 16 and it was a great bike to learn on. Id suggest getting the bike you want ( if you can afford to do so) and just take it easy untill your comfortable with it. The sv650 is an amazing bike for any skill level. Im thinking of picking one up just as a track bike. Good luck with whatever you do.