2006-2008 Front Number Plate on 2000-2005 YZ250 How-to Post with Pics

Ok, so there have been several posts asking if a 2006-2008 front number plate will fit on a 2000-2005 YZ250. It will with minor mods, so I decided to put together a photo how-to for all the visual learners like myself. I like things to come out like factory so I usually take a few extra steps. This mod was done to a 2002 YZ250 with a 2006 Plate.

First I started off with a OEM Yamaha front number plate part number 1C3-23485-51 that I got off Ebay for $22 shipped. I thought that was a great price for OEM over aftermarket so i went with it.

Here are the two next to each other

Front

IMG_2558.jpg

Back

IMG_2559.jpg

The obvious difference is the distance between the mounting points and how it mounts.

This picture is with the top mounts even with each other.

IMG_2560.jpg

The first thing I did was cut off the tab that goes around the bar pad, I don't know what this is for anymore and it hindered the way it mounted with the Cycra Triple tree mounts. You don't need to do this especially if you don't have the Cycra mounts.

IMG_25771.jpg

Then I found two bolts that fit in the old holes that the bottom of the old plate mounted into. These holes are threaded so just find the right size bolt and screw it in from underneath.

IMG_2566.jpg

These holes are 4 3/8" apart which is wider then the 06 plate holes so just dremel the plate holes wider to fit, they will also need to be a little bit larger in diameter, I used a 5/16 drill bit to open and widen the holes.

IMG_2568.jpg

Now the top mount will sit 15mm above the old mount hole so I made a spacer out of aluminum tube I had laying around from Home Depot. I used a pipe cutter to be sure it was cut straight, and a longer bolt.

Here is a pic of the top mount.

IMG_2573.jpg

Here is a picture of the Lower mounts

IMG_2572.jpg

Some people say that it doesn't sit in the same position. I disagree so here are some shots of old VS new.

Side old

IMG_2564.jpg

Side new

IMG_2571.jpg

The 06 has approximately 1/4 space off the fender, which I made sure was the same.

IMG_2575.jpg

So here is the finished product from the front.

Old VS New

IMG_2563.jpgIMG_2570.jpg

This took me about an hour taking pics and measurements, so its an easy mod, and fits like factory.

I think it looks great, and fits solid, good luck!!

• Like 2

The first thing I did was cut off the tab that goes around the bar pad, I don't know what this is for anymore and it hindered the way it mounted with the Cycra Triple tree mounts.

The tab is to keep your front brake line fron getting caught behind the front numberplate after you land off a jump..... If it gets caught behind there on the upper bolt mount the line will get pulled tight and might rupture...
  • Like 2

The tab is to keep your front brake line fron getting caught behind the front numberplate after you land off a jump..... If it gets caught behind there on the upper bolt mount the line will get pulled tight and might rupture...

Ah yes good thinking Bro.

We'll I will say I saw this set up on a Motard and with the Cycra Triple tree mounts the plate presses against the mount and the top of the mount actually curves over the top of the plate, so there is no danger of this happening. But if you have any other mounts or no bark busters, I wouldn't cut the strap off the top. As a mater of fact this set up will fit with the strap, but you will have to flex the top of the plate to mount it and it wont look as clean.

...I decided to put together a photo how-to for all the visual learners like myself.
:lol: :lol: :banana:
I like things to come out like factory so I usually take a few extra steps.
:eek::p:eek:
First I started off with a OEM Yamaha front number plate part number 1C3-23485-51...
Note that the 125/250f number plates come with a 9mm spacer for the top attachment. This is to accommodate the 9mm shorter steering stem that these bikes have. This may also help with the 15mm gap mentioned later in the post.

1C3-23485-61 (2006-2009 YZ125 & 250f)

1C3-23485-51 (2006-2009 YZ250 & 2006 450f)

1C3-23485-70 (2007 450f)

1C3-23485-90 (2008 450f)

1C3-23485-A0 (2009 450f)

I think it looks great, and fits solid, good luck!!
Excellent job! :lol::rant:;)

nice I just used a socket to space the top mount, and zip ties on the bottom:)

Note that the 125/250f number plates come with a 9mm spacer for the top attachment. This is to accommodate the 9mm shorter steering stem that these bikes have. This may also help with the 15mm gap mentioned later in the post.

1C3-23485-61 (2006-2009 YZ125 & 250f)

1C3-23485-51 (2006-2009 YZ250 & 2006 450f)

1C3-23485-70 (2007 450f)

1C3-23485-90 (2008 450f)

1C3-23485-A0 (2009 450f)

Good info to add, I wasn't aware of this.

Didn't know that there was a difference in the number plates, but now I can see that the 06+ plate looks quite a bit sharper than the others!

That is the same way I did mine. Cool thing if you have an aftermarket triple clamp. Just unbolt the mount and flip it over. No spacer needed. Nice write up for sure!

think that 06 number plate will fit on my 94 yz 250??
It will fit, just expect to make some mods or adjustments as listed in this thread. You will also need to make a little "L" bracket for the upper mount; the '94 attaches from the front, the later '99(?) & up attach from the top.

:applause:Thanks a lot for taking all of the time you took to put this info and pictures on here! This helps me out a ton as I have been wanting to find a way to convert my front end to the new style! Excellent job!:smashpc:

:applause:Thanks a lot for taking all of the time you took to put this info and pictures on here! This helps me out a ton as I have been wanting to find a way to convert my front end to the new style! Excellent job!:thumbsup:

No prob, glad some people are getting use out of this thread. Wish it was a sticky or a FAQ because I get asked about it so much! :smashpc:

I can sticky this, no problem.

You know what else might be cool, i and that woudl be using the 2010 yzf front numberplate. Comparing it to the 2006 plate you used, it changed enough that it might be easier to fit.

^ No problem Roland...:smashpc:

It was extremely easy to mount the 2010 yzf num plate on my 96, same as the above mentioned # plate but I didnt see the need to use the spacer. Its nice and tight with the stock mount and bolts through the bottom triple holding the plate

Old #plate and fender,

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

New 2010 YZF plate and fender

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

Had to trim the graphics from the 96 to fit the new plate and fender a significant amount for my race this weekend but it would be worth ordering seperate graphics for those two items as it took me about an hour longer to trim the graphics then it did to mount the plate and fender but I think it turned out pretty good.

I went to put the new style number plate on my 2000 YZ 125 last night and the holes that you put the bolts in were not threaded on mine. Did you have to tap yours or were they already threaded?

• Like 1

Which holes? the ones at the bottom of the plate where the "locating pins" for lack of better words, were located on the original plates? They are not threaded, bolt and nut work just fine... theyre hidden behind the plate anyways!:smashpc:

Just thread them up through the bottom and slide the number plate down on the bolts... then simply twist the nuts on them

I went to put the new style number plate on my 2000 YZ 125 last night and the holes that you put the bolts in were not threaded on mine. Did you have to tap yours or were they already threaded?

On the 2002 250 they are threaded, I'm not sure about the 125. I would tap them so they can be used as i described. I like things more like factory so using a nut and bolt wouldn't be an option for me. Tapping is easy if you have the taps or just run by a machine shop with the bike and they should be able to knock it out in minutes for next to nothing.

On the 2002 250 they are threaded, I'm not sure about the 125. I would tap them so they can be used as i described. I like things more like factory so using a nut and bolt wouldn't be an option for me. Tapping is easy if you have the taps or just run by a machine shop with the bike and they should be able to knock it out in minutes for next to nothing.

They must have changed that when they changed a few things in 02. Mine is a 2000 so that must be a difference. We have some taps so I was just going to go run one of those through to do it. Another thing, did you put any threadlock on the bolts before you ran them up through? I was thinking about putting some on mine just so that its guaranteed not to reverse itself out from vibration. I figured either some threadlock or a lock washer. Thanks for all the help on this once again!

• Like 1

I didn't put any thread locker on them. They snugged up pretty good and with no stress on them I wasn't worried about them vibrating out, but it couldn't hurt.