Sign in to follow this  

Ready for exhaust need some guidance.

Ok so im loving my 04 650. So far I removed the snorkel shimmed the needle and changed the sprocket to a 14t. I'm ready for some exhaust.

I see everyone saying the gsxr exhaust is great but I kinda want something that bolts rite on. Looking for a quiet good flowing exhaust. I don't really wanna rejet either lol just like my miliage.

Any suggestions? Do you really have to repack after market mufflers all the time? What if you don't?

The GSXR system does bolt right on if you buy the adapter parts from Jesse.

So you want a quiet, good flowing exhaust that does not need jetting, never needs repacking and you can buy it over the counter? I know they make them... I hear they are made out of unobtanium. :eek:

What if you don't repack a fiberglass silencer? You gain a loud bike with less power and the surface temperature of the aluminum can gets hot enough to melt side covers... the only good thing is the muffler gets lighter. :banana:

unobtanium:worthy::banana::eek:

I know, faced with same thing, watching some gsxr 600 pipes dented and scratched on ebay, faced with a 200 dollar jesse kit...fmfq2 or q4?

I hope you don't mind me jumping in but I have some related questions. Doesn't the exhaust mod require re-jetting? and, How much difference in mileage does an exhaust mod make? ( I'm referring mostly to the GSX-R can mod). Stock tank lacks excess capacity so I hate to drop the mileage significantly.

Lol I want 20 horse power also ha ha just kidding. I guess the gsxr is my best bet. Ughhhh just gotta find one. The 600 will work but not as good ?

Lol I want 20 horse power also ha ha just kidding. I guess the gsxr is my best bet. Ughhhh just gotta find one. The 600 will work but not as good ?

Quieter but less flow... according to those who have tried both a noticeable difference between the two.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with wanting it all.... as long as you don't wig out when having to settle for a bit less. :banana:

I hope you don't mind me jumping in but I have some related questions. Doesn't the exhaust mod require re-jetting? and, How much difference in mileage does an exhaust mod make? ( I'm referring mostly to the GSX-R can mod). Stock tank lacks excess capacity so I hate to drop the mileage significantly.

No main jet changes are required since the stock airbox is a choke and limits anything that can go out the tail pipe. You might also get away with no changes to the mid range (needle) but if surging starts or worsens then a needle shim would be the only mod you'd have to make. Gas mileage doesn't have to go out the window... you just may need to increase fueling a bit for the mid range.

Cool beans people thanks. I lifted the needle a little when i removed the snorkel so I guess it should be good. The staitune exhaust looks perfect but I would have to sell the bike to buy it lol.

I guess I'll wait till a gsxr pops up then I'll hit up kientech for the mid.

Im just itching to do something now ha ha. What a fun bike. I haven't driven my car to work in 5 weeks:thumbsup:

I went ahead and put the q4 on my dr650. Also did a jet kit, airbox mod, and header weld grind. Definitely a noticable boost in low and mid; but nothing Earth-shattering. My mileage went from about 50 to just under 40; ouch. A bit louder and 'raspier', but not too much so. Sounds more 'thumper like'.

BTW - my buddy did exactly the same with his DR650, but put on the FMF hi flo header. His sounds much better, in my opinion. His is actually quieter. Same exact jetting, etc. Maybe I'm just not a very good header grinder.

Really not too sure that the benefit was worth the $$, but at least it's a few pounds lighter. Don't get me wrong, I really like this bike, I'm just not sure that I like it $500 more with the exhaust and intake mods. Now the suspension, tires, and controls; those were worth every penny.... but I ramble.. good luck

I have a Pro Circuit pipe, weld removed, airbox cut, DJ jet kit. Still playing with the settings to fine tune it but am happy with the free revving I now get. Total cost was about 10% of the purchase price and I think overall gain was more than 10%. The mid pipe is a nice stainless unit without restriction, after the weld has been removed, so any after market can will be beneficial.

I believe the fibre in the can will have to be done every few years but at a cost here of less than $20.

I have not analysed fuel consumption as I don't really care. We have plenty of petrol stations here and whether the range is 300 + _ 50 kms is irrelevant, especially as the heaviest item on the bike is me.:banana:

I went ahead and put the q4 on my dr650. Also did a jet kit, airbox mod, and header weld grind. Definitely a noticable boost in low and mid; but nothing Earth-shattering. My mileage went from about 50 to just under 40;

You didn't stick that white plastic spacer under the clip did you?

I just installed a GSXR exhaust on my DR and it was 100% bolt on (and simple) with the kit from Kientech. Simple simple.

It's very easy to rejet the bike. You don't have to be that handy to do it. Just get a fellow bike friend to help out. The Dynojet kit makes a tremendous difference in driveability too. It makes the DR A LOT nicer to ride, and is truly worth it.

Surely a TT member must live near you that could swing by and help...

Ok so im loving my 04 650. So far I removed the snorkel shimmed the needle and changed the sprocket to a 14t. I'm ready for some exhaust.

I see everyone saying the gsxr exhaust is great but I kinda want something that bolts rite on. Looking for a quiet good flowing exhaust. I don't really wanna rejet either lol just like my miliage.

Any suggestions? Do you really have to repack after market mufflers all the time? What if you don't?

The thing about power is you notice it more when you don't have it anymore.

Several times I've temporarily gone back to the stock pipe for various reasons and that's when you really notice the difference. Then after a week you get used to it and when you put the open pipe back on you suddenly realize what you were missing :banana:

You didn't stick that white plastic spacer under the clip did you?

Not that I recall, but I'll double check. I just put the clip in the recommended position (I want to say 4th groove) and ran the recommended main jet (170, I think), but you got me wondering now, as it's been a while since I had it apart.