Sign in to follow this  

Why doesn't Suzuki put inverted forks on S model?

So I am no professional but every dealership and review that I've read says inverted forks are much better for off road riding than the traditional forks that come on the S model. So my question is if this is true why would suzuki put the inverted fork on the SM and not the S?

For trail riding conventional forks are plenty capable, especially on a bike like the DRZ. The conventional fork is flexy and compliant and great for that slow speed bumpy stuff. There's nothing wrong with conventional forks on a trail bike and the set on the DRZ are really good.

When the speeds start getting up there the inherently stiff nature of the inverted fork becomes an advantage.

The ones on the SM have less travel. Probably since they were messing with the forks anyway those were easy and available.

The one bike I had with inverted forks whent eh seal went, it dumped ALL the oil out...

where as the bikes with conventional forks do retain some :banana:

not that it really makes much difference...just takes longer to empty the fork riding, when the seal has failed...

I have read that there is really no big advantage to USD forks. Conventional fork bikes carry a bit more unsprung weight. Just what I've read, I have an S.

Mike -

Hi Guys

I think USD forks are a fashion thing like Radial Brakes

At least at our level of riding:thumbsup:

You can't adjust the spring Preload on the SM forks which is a Royal PITA:foul:

Regards

Rick

I have read that there is really no big advantage to USD forks. Conventional fork bikes carry a bit more unsprung weight. Just what I've read, I have an S.

Mike -

The initial advantages of USD forks were an increase in surface area on the fork uppers where they clamp into the triple tree and less flex.

Unless you're racing motocross (which isnt the greatest idea on any DRZ), then there wont be much of a difference.

thanks guys, this explains quite a bit I could never really see the difference they would make, I'm happy with the forks on my S I guess thats all that really matters too me.

why would suzuki put the inverted fork on the SM and not the S?

...so they can charge more money for the SM, as those forks likely has a higher unit cost.

Unless you're racing motocross (which isnt the greatest idea on any DRZ), then there wont be much of a difference.

yeah but with the amount of mods some people do on their Z, youd swear they were racing!!! spending an extra $1500 to gain 13mph and lose 11 pounds is rediculous. people need to cruise at a nice speed and enjoy their DRZ

yeah but with the amount of mods some people do on their Z, youd swear they were racing!!! spending an extra $1500 to gain 13mph and lose 11 pounds is rediculous. people need to cruise at a nice speed and enjoy their DRZ

It may be ridiculous (rediculous) to you but the DRZ is the best "template" bike available today! You can make it anything you want. It's about enjoyment whether your racing or riding, I'd bet 99%+ of racers are doing it for fun (fun might be going for a points title in the "B" class), but still going for fun just like rec. riders. The stock S might give you plenty of enjoyment, I might stop riding if I had to ride a stock S, and I ride 2-5 days a week (not including commuting). How can you put a $ value on the added smile factor of a ride, whether you won the local B class or went a bit faster on your fav. ride? A smile on our collective faces is what it's all about!

i think that people should stop worrying about what other people do with their bike.

+1

I didn't get to this after I read the previous post. :banana:

Modding is so fun though, cant put a price on that.

The DRZ seems to be as popular of a platform to customize as a Harley. I have one of each, and love modding both of 'em.

I've had two DRZ's, a SM, and now I have an S. For aesthetic reasons I like the SM better. The USD fork looks cool, and so does the swingarm. But for the riding I do, and me wrenching on it, I like the snail adjusters on the chain and the conventional fork. It is very plush and compliant...

I am thinking of buying the SM and buying dirt wheels for it,basically so I can get the upside down forks. May I have the travel numbers on both setups please? I came from an MX background and I am used to the servicing of the upside down units and the looks as well. However if travel is reduced too much I may pass on the SM version for the Dual sport model.

The conventional forks definitely have a plush nature whick works well for trailing, I will be jumping this bike so I will have to setup whatever I get for my weight. The only downside I have noticed was when I blast the bottom of a hill climb and the ruts are deep at the bottom the conventionals are more prone to catching a rut.

If I remember right the conventional have 11.3" and the inverted have 10.5". The S and E model rear suspension also has about 1" more travel than the SM.

Inverted forks cost more. I think its a money issue, to keep the price of the new bike reasonable.