Sign in to follow this  

2003 or 2006?

I'm looking at a 2003, 2004, and 2006 KTM 450 EXC. All low miles and in good condition, but whats different in those years? Did they change anything mechanically, and what about cosmetically?

Thanks!

The 06 is the way to go. It has the newest generation frame. There were lots of other little updates and parts that were added to just make this the best choice, even if it costs a little more.

The 04 would be good also. The frame is a little more flexi, but not a bad ride overall. Most all parts from 04-07 are interchangeable.

ok, so I ended up going with the '03, price was too good to handle, and it was a one owner from an old retired guy that just used it around his house in the woods. Couldn't pass it up.

Anyways my riding partner bought an '06 the same day. They definitely did change a few things (seems like minor things so far) and I've now ridden both bikes and I can't tell a difference in performance. The '06 definitely looks a little better though, whats the best advice of dressing up an '03 to get it looking a little "newer"?

Thanks guys!

you can buy the newer subframe, fender, air box, etc and make it look the same. Get the parts used and then sell your used parts to get back half the money.

Like Mike said you can do, subframe, rear plastic etc of 04-05 stuff.

I much prefer the 03 exhaust, changing to late stuff there would be a lot of money to poose a little torque, bad move.

Avoid swing arm & rear brake swaps or we may find you in a rubber room pounding your head on the wall

welcome to the KTM side! I myself have an 03 450 exc and love the thing. I had my suspension revalved, tuned to my style and skill and it is awesome! Spend your money on that first, then work on getting the thing looking good. Being an 03, I would check the valves first too. Just to make sure they are ok. All depends on how many miles are on it and how well it was taken care of. As far as shopping for parts, ktmtalk.com has a great classified section. For full retail, I use ktmcyclehutt.com for oem parts. I also use travis at http://www.thumper-racing.net/. he is a great guy and always takes care of me. Ktmtalk.com is a MUST website for a ktm owner. Amazing info there.