Sign in to follow this  

Engine Hour Meter

I just bought a '06 CRF250X the other day with only 6 miles on the clock!

It is absolute showroom. The owner was afraid of it.

I love it so far. Last month I bought a CRF230F and it's a pig!

Nice little bike, but not exciting at all.

Anyhows, I guess I'm on the maintenance treadmill now and am considering getting a Engine Hour Meter. Moose Racing makes one.

http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle/Engine%20Hour%20Meter

Anybody have one? Any ideas?

TomJV

The installation is super easy. You figure out where you want the meter mounted, then use the supplied wire to wrap around the plug wire. Double stick foam tape, screws (if used), and zip ties are all included in the Hardline package.

I have a similar one and it works well. I ended up mounting mine on the frame (shift lever side) just under the radiator shroud plastic. it fits nicely there and never gets bumped.

When mounting the pickup wire there really isn't a spark plug wire in the conventional sense. The coil pack is in the spark plug cap and the leads to it may not give you any readings. I would wrap it like this one in the picture http://forums.dirtrider.com/70/7771777/general-discussion/how-to-install-tach-hour-meter/index.html

+1 That's the way mine is wrapped.

There are plenty of meters on Ebay, I got mine for 6 bucks, 16.00 shipped:ride:

There are plenty of meters on Ebay, I got mine for 6 bucks, 16.00 shipped:ride:

I did not even think of that:bonk:. I have gotten a few from Sears but they are discontinued. I'll give Ebay a loook.

The lawn mower hr meters are cheap and work fine and can be found at Lowe's, home depot etc...

I used that really heavy duty, industrial style velcro you can buy from a fabric supply store and mounted it directly to the frontside of the OEM mechanical ODO. The meter is on the side that faces the rider, but you have to duck down and sort of cock the ODO backwards to see the number on the meter but it's something you're only checking every now and then. It is nice and out of the way.

If you get the heavy duty velco with the adhesive backing it will stay in place.

I just replaced my hour meter today. Since I replaced the piston, the cylinder, and the head - i figured i'd start off with 0.0 hours. I don't see how folk ride without an hour meter. I know exactly how much time my new endgine has. It started at 0.0 and I put it back in the garage with 0.3hrs. Tomorrow it's gonne get a couple of heat cycles, an oil change, and some laps on the track. I can't wait to see what my new 270 with an R head pulls like.

Here is a short video we made showing the installation process for our tach / hour meters. Hopefully if a picture is worth a thousand words...how many words is a video worth? :smirk:

...Eric