Sign in to follow this  

ktm starting headack

01 ktm 400 exc

On the why home was dieing at low rpms. As soon as it stopped it died wont restart.

Good compression had good power, blue spark, cleaned carb. wont even fire on ether starting fluid maybe a pop or two.

I cleaned the carb. adjuster the valves, did a leak down test ,new plug, I think timing off. help

It may have jumped timing. That happened to a old 4 wheeler off mine. Set the piston at top dead center (TDC) on the compresstion stroke and the valves should be shut.I think that would be the Quickest way to tell.

I will check that when I get home. thanks

Bike seen very low hours I put most of them on in the last year. still on the oringal factory chain 2ed set of tires in its.

checked for cam chain for jumping teeth, the valves stay closed through the hole compression stroke. also changed the spark plug cap. same nothing changed on ether I could still only get a pop or two

Was it making any funny noise? Sounds like it might not firing at the right time.

If the flywheel cracked or sheared the key off it would throw the timing off and cause it not to start. Its a long shot but i have seen it happen. If it wont even run on starting fluid then you know its not a fuel problem.

Edited by 247bunches
forgot to add info

no funny nosie, I knew i had a problem about a mile away form home. I just the rpms up and stayed above 30 mph. The one time i got out of it, going down a hill of it started to die becauese i was off the gas. other than that i ran and sounded great. If something like shearing a key happened would it die rate then. I was doing about 60 down the road for about 3 miles. Whats to find out pull the side cover and make sure when the flywheel said tds the piston is at tds.

LIke i said its a long shot but it can happen, I saw it on a old DS 100 i had as a kid. You dont need to worry about TDC with the flywheel it only goes on one way. Yes if it does shear a key or break it will just stop running or it will run badly. You would need to pull the side cover off and inspect the flywheel you may need to remove the flywheel to check the key.