Hour meter virgin, install question

Feel stupid asking but I have never installed an hour meter, and I'm an electrical retard :bonk:. I got this one from ebay which I'm sure some of you must run

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250678132241&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_842wt_1165

So I hooked up the ground wire underneath one of the bolts that holds the airbox to the frame. and wrapped the black wire around the spark plug cap a few times. Is that correct to just wrap the black wire around the cap?

then I tried kicking the bike over and the meter didnt respond

You say you wraped the wire around the "CAP"? . . . It should be wraped around the plug WIRE itself. The meter counts the electrical pulses traving thru the wire and may not pick them up thru the cap.

ok thanks I was curious about this as well, I will wrap it around the wire then and try tonight when I get home.

I've had a few other bikes that I have bought and came with hour meters, and I think they were all wrapped around the cap, but I'll take your work for it.

so I wrapped it aroudn the plug wire this time, and ran teh bike for 7 mins, nada.... either I'm a complete idiot who can rebuild a motor but can't install an hour meter or the unit is faulty. Gunna email the ebay seller right now

• 1 month later...