Sign in to follow this  

Hour meter virgin, install question

Feel stupid asking but I have never installed an hour meter, and I'm an electrical retard :bonk:. I got this one from ebay which I'm sure some of you must run

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250678132241&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_842wt_1165

So I hooked up the ground wire underneath one of the bolts that holds the airbox to the frame. and wrapped the black wire around the spark plug cap a few times. Is that correct to just wrap the black wire around the cap?

then I tried kicking the bike over and the meter didnt respond

That sounds like it's correct. Maybe just wrap around the plug a few more times.

I doubt the plug goign off a time or three will show any time on the meter. Mine brakes things down to the 1/10" hour so you would need to kick it for 6 minutes to do anything the meter would show.

Gotcha, thanks guys, ill go for a little ride around the neighborhood when I get home and see if the display pops up

You say you wraped the wire around the "CAP"? . . . It should be wraped around the plug WIRE itself. The meter counts the electrical pulses traving thru the wire and may not pick them up thru the cap.

You say you wraped the wire around the "CAP"? . . . It should be wraped around the plug WIRE itself. The meter counts the electrical pulses traving thru the wire and may not pick them up thru the cap.

ok thanks I was curious about this as well, I will wrap it around the wire then and try tonight when I get home.

I've had a few other bikes that I have bought and came with hour meters, and I think they were all wrapped around the cap, but I'll take your work for it.

so I wrapped it aroudn the plug wire this time, and ran teh bike for 7 mins, nada.... either I'm a complete idiot who can rebuild a motor but can't install an hour meter or the unit is faulty. Gunna email the ebay seller right now

most are just 1 wire not sure why there are 2? if used as a ground maybe your location is bad? will aluminum work as a ground as you said you said you mounted to the sub frame??

We receive a lot of inquires about how to install our hour / tach meters, so we made a video going over all the details. Here it is:

Hopefully this helps.

thanks.

...Eric

thanks for the post eric, turns out the unit I orignially got was defective, I have since installed the new one they sent and it works great