Sign in to follow this  

Washington KTM Plate Revoke List

P.S. I don't know what you mean "Dealers know better"

I made my assertions that dealers know the law and the rules/regs - they have to in order to stay in business. They know better than most buyers because it is their business to know. If they break the law or regs and get caught then all kinds of hell can fall on them.

As I said, do you think dealers who sell hundreds to thousands of bikes know the relevant laws better than buyers who maybe buy one or two bikes a year at most??

Bottom line is that DOL and WSP got caught with their pants down on this issue for not "administratively" catching the loophole. They both are trying to look good to the DEMs in charge at OLY to minimize the budget reprecussions that could/can be implemented to bad children(agencies/departments).

Truth is the WSP and DOl could of sponsored legislation to create a restricted license plate category with higher fees than an ORV pays that increases general fund revenue -a win-win. Somewhere in the mix of this action is some "slap motorized recreation as much as possible when possible politics" as verbalized by Senator Kline. It will be impossible to prove though.

Don't agree with CodeMonkee's assessment but I work inside government so see how all kinds of "citizens" take advantage of regulatory loopholes to achieve personal agendas......

Everyone that got a letter should be responding in writing requesting an "Administrative Hearing on the Administrative Decision" to view the evidence that the plate revoked/title change was done with due process of the law.

800 Adminstrative Hearings will F**K up DOL's budget and manpower along with causing the Attorney General to get more involved......

Seems probable to me. My opinion about why this was done was just that, an opinion bordering on a guess.

The admin hearings might make sense too - assuming 800 people have the time to take off from work to attend the hearing.

Although I will say I find the whole WSP involvement very iffy - I just don't see LEOs looking at the VIN plates. *Maybe* they *thought* a bike (like a two stroke) should not have a plate, but I don't see most LEOs caring or knowing enough about the intricacies of DOL law/rules to check the VIN to look at whether it is EPA/FMVSS certified.

What about bikes that were dual registered are they getting letters as well? And KTM and other Euro manufacters have long not have FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY on MSOs its not a new thing so thats why this whole thing started. When I had my shop I dual registered the bikes to get ORV credit.

Snip...The admin hearings might make sense too - assuming 800 people have the time to take off from work to attend the hearing. To anyone -If it is not worth your time to show for a hearing -just sell your bike as your part of the problem that is enabling the political discrimination being done to the ORV community as a whole.

Although I will say I find the whole WSP involvement very iffy - I just don't see LEOs looking at the VIN plates. *Maybe* they *thought* a bike (like a two stroke) should not have a plate, but I don't see most LEOs caring or knowing enough about the intricacies of DOL law/rules to check the VIN to look at whether it is EPA/FMVSS certified.

DOL and WSP are tied at the hip in regards to vehicle licensing. They have danced a funny tune about motorcycle use class conversions for years when you can take a 1980 Pete truck with 800 zillion miles on it chop the frame drop an axle -Federal tax is no longer paid and it "became an RV" becaue it has a sink, bed, cooktop......or build a utility trailer out of 2x4's or on and on.....

I made my assertions that dealers know the law and the rules/regs - they have to in order to stay in business. They know better than most buyers because it is their business to know. If they break the law or regs and get caught then all kinds of hell can fall on them.

As I said, do you think dealers who sell hundreds to thousands of bikes know the relevant laws better than buyers who maybe buy one or two bikes a year at most??

Really!!!??? for like the 20th time!!! What LAW!!!

Not everybody has the wherewithal to forfeit a day or more worth of pay or an employer understanding enough to allow it in the first place.

Nor would everybody think it was worth a day's worth of pay to keep a plate. If someone told you it would cost you $500 to attend a meeting to keep your plate would you attend?

Bottom line is that DOL and WSP got caught with their pants down on this issue for not "administratively" catching the loophole. They both are trying to look good to the DEMs in charge at OLY to minimize the budget reprecussions that could/can be implemented to bad children(agencies/departments).

Truth is the WSP and DOl could of sponsored legislation to create a restricted license plate category with higher fees than an ORV pays that increases general fund revenue -a win-win. Somewhere in the mix of this action is some "slap motorized recreation as much as possible when possible politics" as verbalized by Senator Kline. It will be impossible to prove though.

Don't agree with CodeMonkee's assessment but I work inside government so see how all kinds of "citizens" take advantage of regulatory loopholes to achieve personal agendas......

Everyone that got a letter should be responding in writing requesting an "Administrative Hearing on the Administrative Decision" to view the evidence that the plate revoked/title change was done with due process of the law.

800 Adminstrative Hearings will F**K up DOL's budget and manpower along with causing the Attorney General to get more involved......

PS I haven't got a letter on my 2 KTM's yet .....

Thank you.. Well written!:bonk:

Really!!!??? for like the 20th time!!! What LAW!!!

WA state law. I've cited it in numerous times in other threads. You can look it up if you want. I have multiple times. It is online. I am not google, but google is your friend.

Not everybody has the wherewithal to forfeit a day or more worth of pay or an employer understanding enough to allow it in the first place.

Nor would everybody think it was worth a day's worth of pay to keep a plate. If someone told you it would cost you $500 to attend a meeting to keep your plate would you attend?

Been there done it gladly.

But I do understand that many are living on thread just getting by. But if you can find the money for a 2008/2009/2010 KTM/Husaberg or new tires every other ride or a Revloc clutch or a ........ -investing a day or day to the ORV community for political action is in your pay range.....

But I do understand that many are living on thread just getting by. But if you can find the money for a 2008/2009/2010 KTM/Husaberg or new tires every other ride or a Revloc clutch or a ........ -investing a day or day to the ORV community for political action is in your pay range.....

Without a doubt... I spent way more time and money plating two Jap bikes, worth every red cent as I hate Orange:busted:

What - if anything - is the NMA doing about this? Rounding up, cajoling, facilitating people to do this would seem a worthy endeavor.

I bought my Husaberg last year when I was employed. Right now I have a short contract and I need to strike the iron while it is hot - hopefully they will renew it - I am hanging on by a thread.

What - if anything - is the NMA doing about this? Rounding up, cajoling, facilitating people to do this would seem a worthy endeavor.

NMA is only as good as the collective power of the association. Landuse has been a secondary issue to competition events for many years except the hard work of a few great individuals like the late Ron Morganthaler, Rod J and Tod701 here......This is the active memberships' direction. We are paying the price for this lack of political investment over the last 10-15 years.....Currently most politicians and State Agency folk don't worry about us as a group because there is no risk to them politically.....

Sorry my rant is strong but all of these things are not happening to the motorized community because of divine intervention -we are ants in the political landscape being crushed systematically at any point possible.

Time would be better spent trying to keep ORV parks open, than trying to keep ORV's on the road.

Point is Harry -divide and conquer is an age old war strategy. The people that are politically active are stretched so thin that any "new" issue like the licensing thing gets little action.

WE NEED BOTH -places to ride that are not fish bowls and a legal vehicle for the status quo conditions.

I bought my Husaberg last year when I was employed. Right now I have a short contract and I need to strike the iron while it is hot - hopefully they will renew it - I am hanging on by a thread.

You're not employed right now :bonk:

NMA is only as good as the collective power of the association. Landuse has been a secondary issue to competition events for many years except the hard work of a few great individuals like the late Ron Morganthaler, Rod J and Tod701 here......This is the active memberships' direction.

And on that note I just signed up as a lifetime member of the Blue Ribbon Coalition. A bit of a weird thing for an ardent backpacker and backcountry skier to do, but I like their positions (responsible controlled use).

Completely unrelated to this topic of course ... but I just figured maybe I could cajole another person to join too. $40 a month.

You're not employed right now :bonk:

actually I am employed, but only temporarily for now and I need to work while I can make hay

You can add my bike to the list: '07 KTM 560SMR. I bought the frame new with an MSO and has been plated since day one. No letter yet.

Interestingly, the sticker on the steerer tube on my bike does say, "For closed course, competition use only. Not legal for use on public roads. Does not comply with EPA emissions regulations or... (this part of the sticker is rubbed off). In other words, my bike should have NEVER had a plate but I KNOWINGLY plated it. To have my plate revoked is well within the rights of the state government, period. I think that this situation does suck and that there is no reason for folks with bikes like ours to not have plates for all of the points mentioned in this thread, but again, since day number one, barring certain EXC 4 strokes, these bikes were never meant to have plates.

We should consider ourselves the illegal aliens of motorcycling: Knowingly working here illegally, and doing so because for the most part, no one says anything about it. Until now, that is. :bonk: