Sign in to follow this  

Michelin Bib Mousse

Currently running the Michelin Bib Mousse (Bib) (over 200 miles) in both the front and rear tires:

Font-Michelin S-12 XC Soft Terrain Tire

Rear- Michelin X-11 Competition Trials Tire (Tube Type)

At this point the Bib is still way too stiff. Any advise on how to get the Bib to soften up would be appreciated.

Things I have tried so far:

Driving on the road for an hour and a half

Driving up curbs for over an hour

Drive into every log, rut, rock, or root

used a binding strap to compress the tire and Bib overnight

I like a tire pressure of about 9 to 10 lbs in the front and 5 to 7 lbs in the rear.

Please limit the response to breaking in the Bib. I have have a history of rim flats that have slice open tires and cut 4 gashes (double snake bites) in an inner-tube.

Thanks taking the time to help me out.

Todd

• Like 1

well not that it helps you currently but... since you like running extremely low pressure look into the Tubebilss set up.

I run the bib mousse, and I find that it usually gets softer not harder !

After a couple of months of use we wrap a normal tube around the mousse to 'hold' it up a little and stop it from collapsing, and lube it with the mousse gel every couple of weeks or so

I really have no idea why its getting harder, maybe someone can chime in....

I run the bib mousse, and I find that it usually gets softer not harder !

Just to be clear. The Bib is not getting harder. The Bib is staying just as stiff as when installed.

Sorry for any confusion,

well not that it helps you currently but... since you like running extremely low pressure look into the Tubebilss set up.

I considered the tube-less. Since I have a history of slicing tires open with rims and rocks, tube-less would still leave me in woods with a flat.

As a side note, I have a gash in the front tire almost an inch long that is leaking Bib lubricant. During the first 100 miles of the NY Hancock Dual Sport one of the many rocks cut clear through the tire. If I had tube-less I would need to repair the tire hole. I am thinking I need to stay with a Bib type system or learn to love fixing flats.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Edited by XG5766

Ok i misunderstood:bonk: it should start to soften after a few rides, mine was just right after 3 rides (about 5 hrs riding time), did you lube them when you put them in?

I want to try the tublis system, also worried about slashing the tire open, but apparently you can still ride it at a decent pace with the tire flat as the inner tube holds the tire up enough

I use Bib Mousse for MX and SX. It only gets softer when its just about to die. Its a diferent feeling from air. You need to ride with your weight more on the rear and applying all the tecniques correctly, if not it will tire you faster and will give you that stiff feeling. They use to be a pain in the neck until you get used to it, but trust me, you will "learn" to ride with them. Landing hard is tougher than with air so that you need to use the throttle more aggressively. I use tubliss too but only for practicing and still dont get good results, I destroy them doing SX (I'm a very heavy rider) and air leaks can ruine a race.

Bib Mousse is the only 100% safe way available. You can try other brands like Goldentyre or Pirelli and see if they fit you better. It took me several hours to get used to it and now it makes no difference to me. The down side is that I get very few hours from the rear Bib mousse, less than 10, sometimes not even 5 which makes it expensive

did you lube them when you put them in?

I want to try the tublis system, also worried about slashing the tire open, but apparently you can still ride it at a decent pace with the tire flat as the inner tube holds the tire up enough

One full tube of lube as directed during installation.

I have ridden home many times on dead flats with out trouble. The rims did not care for the ride though.

Thanks for input,

Bib Mousse is the only 100% safe way available. You can try other brands like Goldentyre or Pirelli and see if they fit you better.

It took me several hours to get used to it and now it makes no difference to me. The down side is that I get very few hours from the rear Bib mousse, less than 10, sometimes not even 5 which makes it expensive

I am 100% with you on not getting a flat

Breaking down a Bib in 5 to 10 hours, you must be an animal. I have ridden beating my Bibs agent curbs, rocks, roots... and they still feel like rocks to me. I must be a sensitive rider. Any chance you are near Maryland, I would gladly pay for one of your abused Bibs. Heck, I would have ride my new Bibs just to beat the crap out of them.

Thanks for you response,

ah! just another reason why I will not a buy a bib mousse.

200$ each.

cant adjust PSI

weird feeling IMO

hard on the rims

only last 2 years or so

heavy

why would you want a bib mousse?

I run the tubliss system and absolutely love it. at 99$ each their worth their weigh tin gold, especially considering UHD tubes are 30$ each and I pop one every 3 rides!! :bonk:

I am 100% with you on not getting a flat

Breaking down a Bib in 5 to 10 hours, you must be an animal. I have ridden beating my Bibs agent curbs, rocks, roots... and they still feel like rocks to me. I must be a sensitive rider. Any chance you are near Maryland, I would gladly pay for one of your abused Bibs. Heck, I would have ride my new Bibs just to beat the crap out of them.

Thanks for you response,

Bib Mousses dont like jumps at all, neither hardpack terrain. They last much more when used for enduros, harescrambles or in the sand because jumps are not as tough as in MX and SX and the riding is not that aggressive in terms of braking or accellerating. On the other side I can get more than 20h from the front Mousse. And when I ride only sand they both last for ever.

I am not in Maryland, I am from Spain but my Bib Mousses come out in pieces.

If you are getting a decent number of hours out of them they are a great option and 100% flat safe. Trust me on the stiff feeling, EVERYONE gets used to it in a few rides. Just remember to apply all the tecniques correctly; If you are not riding well or tired they will give you that tough feeling. All riders at MX GP's use them for practicing and racing. Some people like myself only can afford to use them in races and use tubes or Tubliss for practicing and once you get used you feel no difference.

ah! just another reason why I will not a buy a bib mousse.

200$ each.

cant adjust PSI

weird feeling IMO

hard on the rims

only last 2 years or so

heavy

why would you want a bib mousse?

you can get them for around $125 each, they are no harder on a rim than anything else, they dont last 2 years- maybe 6 months if you take out after every race, you would want a bib mousse if you spend 5 hrs driving to race and dont want to worry about a flat!

bibs are awesome, but take just a little more effort to put in and take out. if you are wanting a softer feel order the smaller size bib. we run a 19 bib in a 18 wheel for mud races.

How long they last seems to vary. I have some that are still going strong after 2 years of racing enduros. Other guys I ride with (who are much faster than I) also get at least 2 years. It does depend on the size of the tyre though. I've found that fronts shrink faster than rears and that once shrunk they are only good for my Michelin front tyres that are a smaller volume than my Kenda, Metzeler and Dunlop tyres, despite all being marked as the same size. For example at the beginning of the year I had to get a new front mousse because the bead would not seat with my new Metzeler tyre; but that same mousse got thrown into a Michelin tyre on another bike and fits perfectly.

My mousse tubes live in my bike and only get re-lubed if I change tyres - once a year for the front, and up to four times a year for the rear.

XG5766 what size rear wheel are you using? 18 or 19 ?

443thumper,

I am running an 18 inch rim in the rear. The the two tires I run are:

4.00x18 Michelin X-11 Competition Trials Tire (Tube Type)

140/80x18 IRC M5B Soft Terrain

Well I picked up a set of tubliss today, going to give it a go, wish me luck....

Well I picked up a set of tubliss today, going to give it a go, wish me luck....

you wont regret it.

the ONLY downside to tubliss is if you puncture your whole tire, which is rare, even for me and I ride hard on jagged, razor sharp mountain rocks. and even then ive heard that slime helps tons.

Thanks, i am so over the bib mousse, I will run slime in it, I have only heard good things about them, cant wait to try em out

How long they last seems to vary. I have some that are still going strong after 2 years of racing enduros. Other guys I ride with (who are much faster than I) also get at least 2 years. It does depend on the size of the tyre though. I've found that fronts shrink faster than rears and that once shrunk they are only good for my Michelin front tyres that are a smaller volume than my Kenda, Metzeler and Dunlop tyres, despite all being marked as the same size. For example at the beginning of the year I had to get a new front mousse because the bead would not seat with my new Metzeler tyre; but that same mousse got thrown into a Michelin tyre on another bike and fits perfectly.

My mousse tubes live in my bike and only get re-lubed if I change tyres - once a year for the front, and up to four times a year for the rear.

This is a good point, depending on what brand of tyre, even if they say there the same size the mousse can fit tighter or looser.

443thumper,

I am running an 18 inch rim in the rear. The the two tires I run are:

4.00x18 Michelin X-11 Competition Trials Tire (Tube Type)

140/80x18 IRC M5B Soft Terrain

What size mousse are you running in these tyres?

Is it the front or the rear that is too hard for you or both?

You could try running the next size down in rear mousse, this will give a softer feel, then use a rim lock. I know they say not to use a rim lock but it has worked fine for me for the last couple of years. This is not a good idea if your doing high speed stuff though as the back end will wobble a bit and feel a bit to loose. Fine for enduro though.

• Like 1