Sign in to follow this  

need help, need options for small budget!

ok here is the problem i have i am broke lol! i have to slow down on the race part of this world do to getting a new house. so i am doing more trail riding and well i can not afford a new bike so i need help, what is the best things i can do to make my 04 crf more trail friendly? i have a fmf Q slip on and a dual stage air filter other then that it's stock. i still will so some mx just not as much. should i start with gearing? if so what should i do? and what is the difference between the x and the r?

heavier fly wheel, hand guards, skid plate.

i wouldn't mess with the gearing unless you find that you don't like it.

If your trails are tight, your best money will be spent on a 50 tooth rear sprocket.

I run 14/53 gearing on my R, barkbusters, skid-plate, softer offroad valving ( I know, not cheap) and at least an 11oz flywheel weight, that will smooth the hit a lot. You can also use one of the Steel Clutch baskets to get the same effect, for about the same $$ out of pocket.

ok i have hand gaurds and i have skid plate. were can i find flywheel weights? and i see you guys are say 50 and 53 tooth rears. these woods i ride are tight! so i would say 53 is best. what about running like a 12 front? that is 2 down from the stock and should be like going 4 or more teeth in the rear right? it cheaper and faster switch time, what do you guys think of that?

Steahly 13oz flywheel weight is the best mod Ive done to my 04 for woods riding. Ride tight and technical woods as well. Im using a 13/53 combo and its works pretty decently. At least first and second are usable. Loose some top end but who cares in the woods. Make sure your jetting is good?? Maybe add a overflow catch tank just incase.

I would avoid going smaller than 13 on the front, as that actually increases the drag on the engine and might make stalling more frequent.

Texasbill, I think the difference b/w the years was only 4oz. Not worth the money if you ask me. I think the lightest trailtech flywheel weights are around +11oz. Stock is 13T front sprocket. If you already have handguards and a skidplate, I wouldn't spend much more on getting it "trail friendly". Seat time will make it trail frendly. I went up 2 teeth in the rear, but wouldn't do it unless changing sprockets anyway. I have heard the 12T front will also wear the chain down. Get a good set of tires and play with the clickers, race sag, and raise or lower the front forks. That should be enough to make it enjoyable on the trails. Spend your hard earned money else where.

I agree. Let other people spend money the CRF R is great bone stock on trails. I would jet the bike so it has no hesitation down low. Lube the clutch cable and learn how to use it for slow trails. For me, its all about set up, sag, clickers, butter smooth controls, and maybe gearing. You dont need to buy performance parts, they are rarely better than stock.

I agree. Let other people spend money the CRF R is great bone stock on trails. I would jet the bike so it has no hesitation down low. Lube the clutch cable and learn how to use it for slow trails. For me, its all about set up, sag, clickers, butter smooth controls, and maybe gearing. You dont need to buy performance parts, they are rarely better than stock.

Just remember you are in California, and the OP is in Ohio. Terrain differs quite a bit, and a stock 450 in CA may not do so well in OH. I'm the only one in our riding group that does not own a crf450r. I think for the single track here a 450 is tough to beat when an auto clutch, FWW, 51 tooth rear, bark busters, and a skid plate is perfect. But, its very doable and still very fun without the FWW or autoclutch....

I've been converted from the orange koolaid back to a Hon-duh

ok so an update. i did get a cheap deal on a 12t front sprocket. i tried it out this weekend and i like how it added more bottom end but it still stalls a lot, no more then before but sadly no less. i fear adding weights to the flywheel because of still doing a mx. i am really getting to the point of not wanting to trail ride anymore, i am tired from kicking the bike over after the first few hours of riding! will the weights kill my mx performance?

You need to learn to feather the clutch. Don't be scared to rev and feather it so it doesn't kill. It comes with time and practice. It took me the first year of riding to begin to learn how to feather it. Now in tough situations I can feather it with the index finger while controlling the bars with the rest of the hand. Comes with time and practice.

how hard is that on the clutch? my race quad would eat clutches up after 2 or 3 my races, that was not cheap lol. does your guys bike run hot in the woods? my seems too no idea on temp levels but the heat off the motor seem really hot! sorry if that sounds dumb but this is first dirt bike and first time on one in woods, i have done mx my complete life.

the FWW shouldn't affect you very much with the MX. i've heard a lot of folks say that it helped them on the track too.

i could be wrong....maybe someone else can chime in.