Sign in to follow this  

MSR Volant rims

was wondering if anyone else had the same problem i did with the front rim shredding into pieces on me after landing a 50 foot table and sent me to the hospital.. because if the rims are un safe want to make sure no one else gets hurt

i was out in front of my race 3 laps in landed normal on the down slope of the table and was looking into the next corner when i slamed my head into the ground and was nocked out for about 3 to 5 minutes from what i was told dont remember anything until i was in the ct scan at the hosp..good thing my leatt neck brace worked perfect..

So you didn't catch the tranny? Did you go long or land on the deck?

it should not matter at all with only 50ft, you should be able to totally flat land probably 75-90 without that happening

Yeah, sounds gnarly. If the spokes in one part of the wheel were loose that could allow it to collapse or the rim could have had a defect and cracked. Hard to say after the fact but I'll stick to Excel rims.

Do you torque your spokes regularly?

By hand or a spoke torque wrench?

Have you ruled out another failure on the bike that may have contributed? (like a bearing or axle failure)

Was the failure in the rim weld or the spokes? Pics?

How long have you had them?

Justin does raise some fair questions. Sorry to hear this happened. Did you do a complete wheel or rim/spoke set on an OE hub ?