1992 xr600 no spark

Hi, iv just put the bike back together after a fitting a new kickstart spring and doing the valve gaps etc. it started first time, i took it for a quick spin to check everything was ok and it seemed fine. I came to start it this morning and it wont start. I pulled the plug and no spark. I,v got info on checking the pulse gen and coil etc but nothing on checking the cdi. Does anyone have any info ie resistence checks etc-are they repairable. Any info will be greatly appreciated .

Hi, iv just put the bike back together after a fitting a new kickstart spring and doing the valve gaps etc. it started first time, i took it for a quick spin to check everything was ok and it seemed fine. I came to start it this morning and it wont start. I pulled the plug and no spark. I,v got info on checking the pulse gen and coil etc but nothing on checking the cdi. Does anyone have any info ie resistence checks etc-are they repairable. Any info will be greatly appreciated .

Well.........the XR650L CDI`s fail quite often and i repair those for the guys here for free..........

But the XR600R CDI`s are AC voltage and are not as problematic as the XR650L ones.........The 600R do fail sometimes.......just not nearly as bad.......

There are not real checks for a CDI ........

But try this......take the CDI flip it over and smack the back of it all over with a screwdriver handle.........sharply......don`t beat it to death but wack it good........if it has the same problem as the 650L CDI`s it`ll start sparking for awhile......this jars the bad solder joints and will make it work for a short time....

Let me know if that helps.........if it does i`ll repair it for you free:thumbsup:

Usually no fire on a 600R is the stator though..

B

the high voltage coil in the alternator is a weak spot-you should measure around

300 ohms,the wires come from the left side of motor and under the seat

one of them is black/red if I'm not mistaken.

the crank sensor is around 400 ohms but never had problems with it.

The pulse generator you can check by cranking..you should see the ohm meter flicker(due to the small induced volts) while you crank/kick the motor. (I had a PG that was intermittently O/C..ie it worked OK when I tested it on the bench but it was definitely O/C when in the motor)

The stator can be checked by measuring the AC while cranking..it should kick up to 60V..but if you want to be adventurous get someone to hold the wires for you and they will tell you if it's working.(I waive any responsibility here)

The CDI is not immune to failure as you will notice from the posts.

The high tension coil is also a strong contender and the ohms test would not be conclusive as failure mode for any coil windings is quite often a single shorted turn(which dampens the induced voltage immensely).

Eliminate the plug cap by replacing the internal resistor with a cut-down metal screw.