Project Panther

Washington States that allow plates on dirt bikes

Just because someone on the web said it doesn't make it so. I'm suspicious of several on the list.

Bruce

Which ones? Most were verified by multipule posts from those from those states. Hawaii's was refered to my from posts by a bunch of super moto guys. Even if it gets whittled down to 15, heck 10, that still pretty much shows the DOL and WSP are lying about the reason.

Iowa will not let me plate a dirt bike.. tried. They force me to ride a bike to tall and heavy for me. Sucks to have to buy a smaller dirt bike I can only trailer to a location. And I suppose trying to plate a dirt bike in a different state for my use is illegal.

Street legal bikes, a miracle of modern science. 97 miles yesterday. Lot's of sand (ash) roads around mt st helens, pavement, dirt roads converted to single track, pristine rarely ridden trails and secret single track. My guide was "in the know" :busted:

burleymountainride023.jpg

burleymountainride013.jpg

• Like 1

A few of those (back east in particular) caught my eye. <_< I grew up in PA, and I can speak from experience that it was easier to buy an XL650 and strip it down than it was to try to put plates on a dirt bike. I think I still have the paperwork from when I tried to plate my XR400. It was a packet of papers that required endless questions answered, 4 photos before "legalizing" alterations, 4 photos after alterations (including chain guards and reflectors), a state inspection, paperwork signed by a MC inspection mechanic, and many $$ to process. Then you submit that to Harrisburg where it goes in front of a panel to vote where it will more than likely fail due to the plastic gas tank. I know Maine and New Hampshire were similar. On the other hand, Vermont is super-simple. A lot of people from the northeast would get Vermont tags because it was easier than going through their own state.

Possible, yes. Practical? Not really.

Edited by ITLKSEZ

On 9/16/2010 at 10:14 PM, JRM said:

This is why I wish honda would make a 450cc dual sport bike baised off the CRF450X

Wish granted... you were ahead of your time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2010 at 1:52 PM, Project Panther said:

Now I'm up to

Arizona

Utah

Idaho

Colorado

Missouri

Michigan

PA

Texas

Louisiana

New Mexico

Oklahoma?

Montana

Any more, sure looks like our state is using BS lies to screw us again!

Wait till the state is broke . The legislature will pass anything revenue positive like more vehicle renewals.

1 hour ago, rustyrodknocker said:

Wish granted... you were ahead of your time.

Rumor is, Honda brass read alot of my posts regarding our wish list for the 450L on this very page! There was a very long thread back in 2008 about what we really wanted- the crash of the economy delayed the bike until 2019

Edited by JRM
  • Like 1

Take Maine off the list if the bike in question is over 300cc. I tried three times unsuccessfully with my 2018 WR450F because "it was manufactured with an offroad certificate of origin". I went over to Vermont and got it inspected, submitted three forms, s ingle page each, and a title is supposedly now in the mail back to me.

• Haha 1

Plated a xcw with the process. Still don't trust that the converted title doesn't get recinded some day.  Rode a plated XR for years and they took that away ..?  Rather have real title.

New xcw, dealer sent me a plate in the mail. You have to know which dealer to use. 

:usa:

54 minutes ago, 8675309 said:

New xcw, dealer sent me a plate in the mail. You have to know which dealer to use. 

:usa:

Pursuant to 49USC30112(1), it is a federal crime for the dealer to sell you a motorcycle that does not comply with federal motor vehicle  safety standard 49CFR571 as street legal.

Pretty ballsy move since shops have been put out of business over this.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/30112

When I bought my WR in Virginia, the title (MSO) was 'Off Road Only' The dealer would not get me a plate (illegal) but he suggested I visit a DMV in farm country. Apparently they are easy going. Walked in, stood in line with all the guys in coveralls getting 'Farm Use' plates for the Caddy. Clerk did not bat an eye. Gave me a title for 'On Road' and a plate and out I went.

Northern VA is Nazi like with draconian DMV behavior, central, southern and western VA is rational. For now.

As DMV's become more database oriented, one day they will go by VIN and if it is not a 'On Road' or 'Constructor' vehicle, they will pull the plate. Then you have state like West Virginia that realize the OHV crowd spends money and they do not require plates at all. Cowboy style!

Get it titled and plated in your state. If you have to waste the money and time to do it out of state first then come home and 'bring in the out of state bike' so be it. Then enjoy it until daddy takes the T-Bird keys away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tod701 said:

Pursuant to 49USC30112(1), it is a federal crime for the dealer to sell you a motorcycle that does not comply with federal motor vehicle  safety standard 49CFR571 as street legal.

Pretty ballsy move since shops have been put out of business over this.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/30112

When I spoke to the head guy in Salem DMV who oversees the motorcycle applications,  he was fully aware of the dealerships in Oregon doing this and was pursuing action.  

Many have already been warned.  

19 minutes ago, firffighter said:

When I spoke to the head guy in Salem DMV who oversees the motorcycle applications,  he was fully aware of the dealerships in Oregon doing this and was pursuing action.  

Many have already been warned.  

Important quote to consider in this situation.

“ one business man leans over and says to the other business man at the table, ‘these new regulations and taxes will fundamentally change the way we avoid and subvert these taxes and regulations’”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigfatredpig said:

Important quote to consider in this situation.

“ one business man leans over and says to the other business man at the table, ‘these new regulations and taxes will fundamentally change the way we avoid and subvert these taxes and regulations’”

Unfortunately,  these are not new regulations.  You have never been able to legally plate a dirt bike in Oregon.  

Historically,  dealers and individuals were able to get some through the DMV system as it was loosely monitored.  

About 5 or so years ago,  the state DMV began to more closely inspect all motorcycle applications and they have a database of 50 state legal bikes. The guy in charge understands the situation and agrees that Oregon should have a system like Washington's,  but he also has a job to do and he's fully aware of us dirt bikers trying to plate out bikes. 

He began sending out the letters several years ago asking for plates and contacting dealerships who were getting plates for customers.