Is it ok to run different fork springs?

I'm wondering if it's ok to run different fork springs on the left vs right side.

Asking this as a general rule, but specifically for a late gen KDX fork. I got some stiffer springs from an xr400, but I would like to try it with just one before I do both.

I've been told by some people that it's a terrible idea and will lead to fork binding, premature brake and bearing wear, headshake, etc...

I tend think this is all bull and it will be fine. The sff fork comes to mind, but that is obviously a super stiff usd setup, whereas the kdx standards are much more flexible. I am no susp guru though, so please let me know what you guys think.

Anyone have experience here?

YES you can. I have a 0.45 and a 0.40 in my forks for a total of .425 overall. The axle is rigid enough to withstand the small difference. I had both sets of springs so I did this instead of buying new ones. Of course I would prefer to have to equal springs but I probably couldn't notice (as I don't notice it now).

Kawasaki has already proven this with their SFF suspension. They have a .9+ spring in ONE side.

Make sure the springs are the same diameter and length. If they are you can swap them if one is taller or shorter I wouldn't try it. Stiffer springs usually have less coils so don't worry about more or less coils just that the dimensions are the same.

Edited by D1PP1N

yep, not that uncommon, modern forks are so stiff, I'm not sure if it's ok on standard forks, what year is your kdx?

my bike has one fork that does the compression valving, and one that does the rebound valving, I love it, all adjustments from the top now

The KDX is an 02, but it's still fairly old tech.

What would be the problem with the springs being different lengths? The stiffer set I have is for an xr400, diff length but same diameter. It's a real common swap apparently all one has to do it make new preload spacers.

Anyone see an issue with this? I didn't get D1PP1N's point about them needing to be the same length.

Megadeth, one of yours does comp, and the other rebound? Is that stock ktm stuff? What bike and year?