Sign in to follow this  

Fork Seal Woes

My left fork seal is leaking, i had this same thing happen to me on my cr250 when i bought it, i purchased a seal mate from my local cycle gear. it didnt seem to help much any other tips on cleaning one out? or do they really just blow out? and also, how do i add fork oil? its dripping 1-5 drops a night thanks in advance everyone:thumbsup:

Fork seals wear out, sooner if you ride in mud or sand. It's normal. If you have a damaged male slider replacing the seal won't fix the problem. Make sure that the inner fork tube is smooth. A seal saver might take some dirt lodged in the seal out and may clear up the problem. This should always be your first course of action. If it doesn't work you'll have to replace the seal. Your best bet is to follow the directions in the manual. If you don't have a manual get one. If you don't have the proper tools get them too. Don't try and fake it as you'll end up costing yourself way more to replace the damaged parts. If this is more than your up for take the forks to a shop and have them do the work. A twin chamber fork is complicated with lots of parts so keep this in mind. You have several options but don't wait as a left seal will leak fork oil on your front brake and that leads to more issues.

pop the dust seal down and use the thinest feeler gauge and run it around the inside of the seal a few times if it stops leaking then change the oil and ride

Better yet, increase the tension on the fork and dust seals by about 20% by cutting the springs that apply the pressure. I've been doing this since the upside down forks came out and my fork seals last a year or more. Also, have you ever had your fork bushings replaced ? If not, they are shot and allowing the fork to wiggle too much !

pop the dust seal down and use the thinest feeler gauge and run it around the inside of the seal a few times if it stops leaking then change the oil and ride

I agree with this guy

Better yet, increase the tension on the fork and dust seals by about 20% by cutting the springs that apply the pressure.

What?

What?

The seal spring can be removed and shortened to put more clamping pressure on the seal. This is a good idea if you ride in mud.

the spring only keeps it on the fork tube the seal seals itself when under pressure the springs are not doing much when under pressure.....just my .2c