Sign in to follow this  

Philippines Riding

I'm an american ( age 52) retiring in the providence \ island of Cebu... I chose this place to finish my life for the bike riding and a few other things... I imported my 08 TXC250 Husqvarna to see the sights here, both street and trail ... After 8 months, I gotta say it is a new adventure every day and the trails are plentiful and out of sight ...

I'm thinking of starting a trail riding tour business ... This would include ~8 hrs riding during daylight hrs, both street and trail, your choice, in the country side and towns of Cebu ... You can ride my Husky or another bike I have here for you .. 200 XR or something along this line ... It ain't no Husky but it does good here ... Trails will be chosen for each riders skills or preference ...

We can hit all the local tourist and sights of interest also ... The north tip of the island the small island of Malapascua that is great for diving ... Great boat ride over .... No cars there ... I took my bike over once but it was too small a place for the Husky ...

There are local MX races here often ... You can enter and compete for about $4 ... depending on your racing skills, you might can win up $10 - $100 ... Yep you can turn PRO over here on race 1...No licence required on this level... The locals really like seeing foreigners here at races ...

I'm thinking of include 1 meal during the day, all gas and oil, do all maintenance on the bike, help you out as needed on the trails, and take as many pics each day as needed ... Head cam action is possible also as a additional option ...... I'll book the hotel room for you ( $23 - $35 per day) at a nice resort here ...

I play with my bike every day ... As much as I want ... My gf is at work ~10 hrs a day, 7 days a week ... That's the locals way of life here ... Not alot of night life here in my area but we can talk about this later ...

This will be a down and dirty, no frills tour if it happens ... You will get to see the real Philippines ... not the colorful brochure ...

Again, this is just an idea currently and I'm just floating this idea to you guys to get some feed back ... I'm thinking total cost for my bike and services would be about $85 per day ... All options are open at this point and this can be a great way to see and get a real life experience of country if you were thinking of retiring here in the future ... Ask any questions you wish and I'll be here and riding about another 10 yrs ...

This is a very small example of the riding here:

100_0613.jpg

100_0768.jpg

DSCN0582.jpg

102_0129.jpg

102_0133.jpg

DSCN0491.jpg

DSCN0479.jpg

DSCN0502.jpg

DSCN0492.jpg

Edited by ray_ray

I have been to the 'PPines twice and would love to do some riding there. We have friends in the Cebu area, Pastor Eric Barbasso and his church in Cebu City.

I think your prices are very reasonable but you might want to up things a bit to cover some excellent insurance or affiliate with the AMA's worldwide insurance. The PPines has good hospitals but its not the USA. That might scare people off.

1 Meal would be fine if they had their b'fast at the hotel and you had a halfway spot for a siesta and a snack it would be a nice break. If there were facilities there it would make things more "comfortable" you know how Americans are.

I'm sure you have connections but if you needed any schoolboy help to clear trails etc, labor could be had from PR Eric's Church or one of his affiliates.

your pics certainly are beautiful and touring " The Real Philippines" would be cool.

Good luck in your endeavor, it sounds alike a great way to "retire".

Cool and thanks for the feedback … Lots of small churches and chapels sprinkled all over the country side … I’m sure your friend has a large following in his church. Religion is a integrated part of life here …

This is a third world country but medical care is available … I got new contacts, paid $25 for examination and 3 pairs of lenses … My eyes were getting bad and I had to have better vision for riding … They got it right in about 30 minutes, first time, no appointment needed … One of my friends here crashed hard and broke his shoulder \ collar bone … Not sure of the extent, but he was in the hospital 3-4 days … If you crash, you will be taken care of well I’ think … You might have a big scar but you have care … Risk assignment will even more important here. We’ll tailor the ride to ur level …

Liabilities issues are here and I’ll have insurance on the bikes …But forget the states and a lawsuit waiting to happen at every turn attitude … You will be responsibly for your own actions same as the locals… Out of the 10 or so races I have done here, maybe two had a clause at the bottom about liability … Its just not a 'lawyer' issue here … Lots of time after the racing or even at breaks in the racing, guys go out on the track on their small street bikes, without helmets, in sandals riding the track … The crowd loves it.… People like to see the racers on the track and trails come thru their small villages … We are the circus and we might spend a few pesos …

The trails are already here. There are small roads running in the mountains all over the place in various conditions going up and down in and across the valleys... Walking paths are all over the place also for riding ... We are in front and backyards on rides on rides … The people must move around and they have created a spider web of routes all over the country side … The small bikes are ridden up there so the locals sell gas out of their homes and most likely a vulcanizing shop is close for flats … As remote and isolated as it might seem, someone is close...

The main road around the island is just a small road in pretty good shape … on the east side of the island; it went from good to dirt in a lot of places …

I’d say just bring UR bike over and we can ride but it is very expensive to bring a bike in here … I’m gonna suggest to the GOV here to allow bikes to be imported for tourism at no cost to promote tourism … Island hopping here is very possible with your bike and all at a reasonable price and a smile from the locals …

This will be a 100% Filipino operation other than my self I hope … I’ll have to have the help of many of my riding buddies here for sure… I'm sure they will wanna go for a ride with us when possible... Many many here luv dirt biking and struggle to get bikes for riding ... In fact, to go off the trails in the gnarliest places, we'll have to have some of the locals with us ... This will just be a bike ride as back home ... just with different riding buddies...

Here a few more pics of my bike, the trails, a race crowd ..

DSCN0456.jpg

DSCN0279.jpg

DSCN0616.jpg

DSCN0620.jpg

100_0644.jpg

100_0930.jpg

100_1044.jpg

100_1064.jpg

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz15/txcrlb/Philippines/BikeRiding2010/Malapascua/100_1047.jpg

Edited by ray_ray

Now you're really making me want to ride there. I'm no so in love with my DRZ that I wouldn't try out a TE450 or the like. It's replacement might well be one of the610s.

Please post more and look up my email to correspond. I left a piece of myself last time I was there and will always yearn to go back.

Good day Ray.

In case you plan to drop by Manila and i'm there on my vacation (always our of the country due to my job), i'd be more than happy to take you to the trails in San Mateo in Rizal, Bulacan, Pampanga and Tarlac areas near Mt. Pinatubo ---- the latter two areas, nearby the former US Clark Air Base 😏

Just send me a PM sir.

Kind regards.

I'm an american ( age 52) retiring in the providence \ island of Cebu... I chose this place to finish my life for the bike riding and a few other things... I imported my 08 TXC250 Husqvarna to see the sights here, both street and trail ... After 8 months, I gotta say it is a new adventure every day and the trails are plentiful and out of sight ...

I'm thinking of starting a trail riding tour business ... This would include ~8 hrs riding during daylight hrs, both street and trail, your choice, in the country side and towns of Cebu ... You can ride my Husky or another bike I have here for you .. 200 XR or something along this line ... It ain't no Husky but it does good here ... Trails will be chosen for each riders skills or preference ...

We can hit all the local tourist and sights of interest also ... The north tip of the island the small island of Malapascua that is great for diving ... Great boat ride over .... No cars there ... I took my bike over once but it was too small a place for the Husky ...

There are local MX races here often ... You can enter and compete for about $4 ... depending on your racing skills, you might can win up $10 - $100 ... Yep you can turn PRO over here on race 1...No licence required on this level... The locals really like seeing foreigners here at races ...

I'm thinking of include 1 meal during the day, all gas and oil, do all maintenance on the bike, help you out as needed on the trails, and take as many pics each day as needed ... Head cam action is possible also as a additional option ...... I'll book the hotel room for you ( $23 - $35 per day) at a nice resort here ...

I play with my bike every day ... As much as I want ... My gf is at work ~10 hrs a day, 7 days a week ... That's the locals way of life here ... Not alot of night life here in my area but we can talk about this later ...

This will be a down and dirty, no frills tour if it happens ... You will get to see the real Philippines ... not the colorful brochure ...

Again, this is just an idea currently and I'm just floating this idea to you guys to get some feed back ... I'm thinking total cost for my bike and services would be about $85 per day ... All options are open at this point and this can be a great way to see and get a real life experience of country if you were thinking of retiring here in the future ... Ask any questions you wish and I'll be here and riding about another 10 yrs ...

This is a very small example of the riding here:

100_0613.jpg

100_0768.jpg

DSCN0582.jpg

102_0129.jpg

102_0133.jpg

DSCN0491.jpg

DSCN0479.jpg

DSCN0502.jpg

DSCN0492.jpg

Now you're really making me want to ride there. I'm no so in love with my DRZ that I wouldn't try out a TE450 or the like. It's replacement might well be one of the610s.

Please post more and look up my email to correspond. I left a piece of myself last time I was there and will always yearn to go back.

The bike riding is really cool ... I roll my Husky off the porch in the mornings, ride it out of the small housing area and to the one road that circumvents the entire island, go north or south, go by a buddies home, and then just pick an area we wanna ride at and go for it ...

Whats really cool here, even though you are out in the sticks, help \ people are not very far...In fact kids or the locals are almost always around watching ... We are riders, the circus passing through town ... No reason to have a 3 gallon gas tank as someone will have a liter bottle to sell and flat fixing (vulcanizing) is always close ...

This is a third world country as you well know and poverty is embedded here ... after seeing this place, you realize how great everyone has it in the states and it just might change your attitude on life ...

100_0764.jpg

Lots of the riders don't even both with tags / lights and such ... I have my bike registered with tags and liability... We just meet and roll out thru town like the hells angels on dirt bikes 😏

100_0757.jpg

Dry season ride....

100_0408.jpg

100_0419.jpg

100_0429.jpg

100_0424.jpg

100_0431.jpg

100_0434.jpg

Lots of times the locals will climb a coconut tree and get us fresh coconut milk ... I couldn't believe this 10 yr guy climbed this tree..

100_1332.jpg

The reason for this nice road in the background is some mining will start in this area in the future and a road is needed up there for the trucks and the equipment..

100_1328.jpg

Edited by ray_ray

This is my trip over to Malapascua Island off the north tip of Cebu ... This place had beautiful white sand beaches, crystal clear water that was so warm it was almost hot, small cottages for ~8$ a day, no roads really, no cars, and only trails for riding bikes on ...But so small I would probably not take my bike over there again ... But for diving this is the place and a bike ride up there is very cool as in the pics here ..

Ride over and a few welcome signs 😏

100_0914.jpg

100_0923.jpg

100_0930.jpg

100_0941.jpg

100_0948.jpg

100_0985.jpg

100_0988.jpg

100_1019.jpg

We left at low tide and the bike had to be floated out to the pump boat in a dingy and I had to hire that crew to load \ unload the bike... This was a little spooky but there guys were very professional and took their job seriously ...

100_1025.jpg

100_1027.jpg

100_1033.jpg

100_1038.jpg

Few more signs on the way home ...

100_1044.jpg

100_1057.jpg

100_1063.jpg

100_1082.jpg

Haha. Love the riding. I live in Thailand and ride offroad over here and the surrounding countries. its great fun ridsing in third world countries. here's hoping you enjoy yourself and your new home.

Thanks and I'm having a great time ... The city of Danao finally got the grant to fix its local MX track and I was over there riding as they were fixing the track ... As soon as a section was fixed, I'd test it for them ... 😏 ... How cool is that? We'll race there on the 17th of Oct ... I'll have a new camera by then for pics ...

I'm think of purchasing a Honda XR 200, yamaha 220 Serow , or some other small 2T for customers to ride also ....

awesome pictures. please keep them coming and i would love to just go to this country (its a little cheaper to fly there for me i live in Australia)

one day....one day!!!!!!

awesome pictures. please keep them coming and i would love to just go to this country (its a little cheaper to fly there for me i live in Australia)

one day....one day!!!!!!

You can always PM me mate (in advance).... i will fetch you from Manila International Airport, i.e. if you wanna try the trails out here in the capital region and Central Luzon. You may also take a plane down south to Cebu City where ray-ray is living (1-hour flight).

....Flights to-and-from Manila-Cebu are available are available 5-7 times daily per each airline company (Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific, Air Philippines etc).

Thanks and I'm having a great time ... The city of Danao finally got the grant to fix its local MX track and I was over there riding as they were fixing the track ... As soon as a section was fixed, I'd test it for them ... 😛 ... How cool is that? We'll race there on the 17th of Oct ... I'll have a new camera by then for pics ...

I'm think of purchasing a Honda XR 200, yamaha 220 Serow , or some other small 2T for customers to ride also ....

The Yami Serow XT225, Honda XR200 and Yami DT125 are trusty air-cooled steeds.... Any one of them may come in handly as a second bike 😏

Holy Moly! The Philippines are along way from Philadelphia.

Fricking awesome terrain! 😏

That looks awesome.

I spent six years in the Philippines from 84 to 91. went all over the islands maintaining communications and television antenna systems while in the Air Force.

That was well before my Dirtbike riding days. From your Pics, looks like I missed a great time.

Thanks for sharing

That looks awesome.

I spent six years in the Philippines from 84 to 91. went all over the islands maintaining communications and television antenna systems while in the Air Force.

That was well before my Dirtbike riding days. From your Pics, looks like I missed a great time.

Thanks for sharing

Probably sir you haven't heard of the US Airmen from the then Clark Air Base (i grew up in Angeles City near the largest US military airbase outside of the US mainland) that originated trailriding and MX'ing in the Philippines ---- the Trail Goats from the late 60's to 70's.

It all started when some of these airmen got curios of the many goat tracks (made by the native Balugas) they see along the Zambales mountain range during conduct of "recon" flights (they said 😛) along the provinces of Zambales, Tarlac and Pampanga areas.... That was then the dirtbikes came in to explore in a "boyish" manner what the Phantom jet pilots were seeing from above 😏

The king of the mountains back then were the Yami DT250's, followed by AT125's, Honda SL100's, SL350's etc....

I'm a member of the Pampanga Dirt Riders (originally called the Trail Goats); see some of our American and Filipino founding members' memorabilia from the past.

Art Tayag in his Yami AT125, circa 1971

arttayag.png

US Airmen Bob Thomas and Steve "Kabayo" on their SL350 and DT250, circa 1973, during a 3-hour endurance enduro race sponsored by the former strongman President Ferdinand Marcos

bob1d.png

bob2w.png

Remy Pamintuan about to ride Bob Thomas's SL350, circa 1972, during a challenge between Clark and Subic personnel cum dirt enthusiasts

bob9b.jpg

Remy getting suited up prior to a race against Subic-based riders. Steve helping out, circa 1971

bob4k.jpg

and more various photos....

bob3.png

bob5.png

bob6.jpg

....and their journey ain't complete until they pass it on to their sons....

bob7.jpg

Edited by la_trevi

Another American here with friends and family in Cebu. I sent my WR450

there a couple years ago and put a couple thousand miles on it in no time

at all. There are so many places to ride there it is mind boggling!

I have a pretty good network of locals and expats there to ride with, and

we have already started doing informal tours for visitors. We want to

take it up a couple notches and do it a bit more formally as well as expand

to some longer rides than 1 or 2 days around Cebu. Need to get some more

bikes though. We are looking at getting some XR250s or XR400s but it is

difficult to find them in decent condition there so I may need get them in

the US and send there. Decent dirt bikes of any kind is difficult.

It is possible to temporarily import a bike as a tourist, but it can be more

red tape than most people are willing to put up with. And also since it is

an island nation and far from everywhere, getting your bike there isn't going

to be cheap via most "normal" shipping methods so that will deter many

would-be tourist riders.

But it is a great place to ride... love every minute of it!

IMG_1390_resize.JPG

IMG_0121_resize.JPG

IMG_0128_resize.JPG

IMG_0140_resize.JPG

IMG_0147_resize.JPG

Probably sir you haven't heard of the US Airmen from the then Clark Air Base (i grew up in Angeles City near the largest US military airbase outside of the US mainland) that originated trailriding and MX'ing in the Philippines ---- the Trail Goats from the late 60's to 70's.

I'm a member of the Pampanga Dirt Riders (originally called the Trail Goats); see some of our American and Filipino founding members' memorabilia from the past.

Very cool pictures and info... my dad was at Clark during that era. He may

remember some of this...

That was cool.. I was stationed at Clark AB, but traveled all over the islands. Wish I was into dirtbikes back then, cause I bet it was awesome.

It all started when some of these airmen got curios of the many goat tracks (made by the native Balugas) they see along the Zambales mountain range during conduct of "recon" flights (they said 😛) along the provinces of Zambales, Tarlac and Pampanga areas.... That was then the dirtbikes came in to explore in a "boyish" manner what the Phantom jet pilots were seeing from above 😏

The king of the mountains back then were the Yami DT250's, followed by AT125's, Honda SL100's, SL350's etc....

Art Tayag in his Yami AT125, circa 1971

arttayag.png

US Airmen Bob Thomas and Steve "Kabayo" on their SL350 and DT250, circa 1973, during a 3-hour endurance enduro race sponsored by the former strongman President Ferdinand Marcos

bob1d.png

bob2w.png

Remy Pamintuan about to ride Bob Thomas's SL350, circa 1972, during a challenge between Clark and Subic personnel cum dirt enthusiasts

bob9b.jpg

Remy getting suited up prior to a race against Subic-based riders. Steve helping out, circa 1971

bob4k.jpg

and more various photos....

bob3.png

bob5.png

bob6.jpg

....and their journey ain't complete until they pass it on to their sons....

bob7.jpg

That was cool.. I was stationed at Clark AB, but traveled all over the islands. Wish I was into dirtbikes back then, cause I bet it was awesome.

Sarge,

You would have loved it here i bet....

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3111/spa53170.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2690/dsc03932ok.jpg

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1963/dsc03957ok.jpg

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/4116/dsc02841fg.jpg

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/59/dsc02876.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6653/dsc02829q.jpg

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6299/dsc02496.jpg

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5479/p8070995.jpg

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8564/stuck.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9474/img0622c.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4741/img0638o.jpg

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7237/img0627h.jpg

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/6481/img0647fs.jpg

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/4209/img0644d.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4706/img0650me.jpg

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/346/img0646w.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/558/p8060975.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6507/dsc04109x.jpg

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/8026/dsc04060m.jpg

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/6313/dsc03953mk.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3589/dsc03913ok.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6490/3173676820f22a21643bono2.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9059/cimg6442ly4.jpg

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7662/cimg6452rj2.jpg

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4922/dsc03945ok.jpg

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/4451/cimg6234uv9.jpg

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/5402/dscf0428it4.jpg

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7489/dsc02784h.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7894/dsc04205q.jpg

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/5798/dsc04221i.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8413/dsc03991ok.jpg

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010/04/06/bikepics-1944757-full.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4036/bikepics1542517fulldk1.jpg

The trails in Tarlac and Zambales going to Mt. Pinatubo….

cimg2865tk1.jpg

cimg2874.jpg

cimg2872lt1.jpg

cimg2870oy3.jpg

cimg2876bf8.jpg

This is the mouth of the volcano (erupted in 1991, now a "caldera") that was responsible in deactivating the largest US Air Force base outside of US mainland, Clark Air Base, and one of the US naval bases located along the South China Sea, Subic Naval Base

cimg2945f.jpg

cimg2955a.jpg