350 at Des Nations

Is the 350 going to be able to run with the big boys at altitude?

I don't know enough about the elevations for the GP races to get an idea how they run. I know Alessi ran OK at Thunder Valley but ended up with a (12-5).

With the talent in the field, starts will be huge and some 350 riders could find themselves buried in the field.

Just an assumption.

Have you seen the start straight yet? It's as short as the hallway in my house!....and the track has been Europeanized (if that's a word)....not big obstacles, no big air time and looks like any kind of major hills the track had have been reduced.... Like I said in another thread though... IT WON"T HELP YOU!

Had a chance to walk the track today, the layout is basically the same as the AMA nationals with some minor changes around the start/finish. They still climb as high in elevation change but I cant tell if the jumps have the same face angle, perhaps not. Anyways, the weather is going to cooperate so it should be a great event. We'll see how the 350's stack up...

its all relative.....whatever the 350 loses the 450 will lose the same, so its the same as running a normal race

did you guys think the 350 would lose hp and the 450 would stay the same?

I agree.

If anything, the performance lost due to altitude could affect the 450 more than the 350. Say the loss is 2% (total guess for illustration only), the higher the output the higher the loss. If a 50hp bike lost 2% it would then be 49hp a loss of 1hp and if a 45 hp bike lost 2% it would be 44.1hp a loss of .9hp. So really dunn2500 is right.

I have been seeing all the talk about the 350 like it could not finish races or make the top 20. There was only one in the 40 bike gate in the outdoors and it finished the year in 5 over all. Isn't that 35 450s behind it. That sounds good for the first year on this playing field. Look out SX.

I don't think anybody is arguing that it's not competitive. It just makes no sense to race against guys that are pulling way more horsepower than you. At the pro level, those guys can handle all that horsepower and put it to good use. Can you imagine how mentally psyched Alessi was sitting on the line figuring he wasn't going to holeshot when in the past it wasn't if but rather how big of a holeshot he was going to get. It would be different at the pro level if they could actually run twenty pounds lighter than a 450 but they aren't. So there is absolutely no advantage at the pro level. Any pro can take a 250 or a 350 and have an occasional moto where they go out and win anyway. Villipoto in the past mx des nations on the 250. Alessi won a moto this summer on the 350. But to have a pro hitting the podium every weekend on a 350 isn't going to happen. Now is the 350 a good useable bike at the non-pro level? Absolutely. Especially if they could come in at the weight of a 250f.

I don't think anybody is arguing that it's not competitive. It just makes no sense to race against guys that are pulling way more horsepower than you. At the pro level, those guys can handle all that horsepower and put it to good use. Can you imagine how mentally psyched Alessi was sitting on the line figuring he wasn't going to holeshot when in the past it wasn't if but rather how big of a holeshot he was going to get. It would be different at the pro level if they could actually run twenty pounds lighter than a 450 but they aren't. So there is absolutely no advantage at the pro level. Any pro can take a 250 or a 350 and have an occasional moto where they go out and win anyway. Villipoto in the past mx des nations on the 250. Alessi won a moto this summer on the 350. But to have a pro hitting the podium every weekend on a 350 isn't going to happen. Now is the 350 a good useable bike at the non-pro level? Absolutely. Especially if they could come in at the weight of a 250f.

I love the idea of the 350. I hope/wish other manufacturers would make them too.

That said, KTM needs to shave more weight off that bike (and add a 6th gear :ride:) - at least another 5-8 pounds.

no excuses:smirk:. it's a simple observation backed by some pretty solid evidence

What evidence? There are exactly two of these bikes in existence that have been ridden at pro level, and in two different series. If you discount Cairoli's championship on the basis that maybe the bike isn't 350cc, you now have one data point on which to draw conclusions.

And that one bike is being ridden by a guy who is yet to win a championship, and who has a dubious one dimensional racing strategy that relies heavily on winning the start.

I'm of the opinion that the 350 is good enough with the right rider, in the same way that there are guys who do really well on the 250 but struggle when they move to the 450, and vice versa.