Sign in to follow this  

O-ring chain or non

I'm getting ready to replace my DRZ 400e chain. It has the stock o-ring chain on it but the guys at the shop are trying to sell me a Renthal non o ring chain. I'm going to be riding Barstow to Vegas in November. Any recommendations would be helpful. I'm thinking another o ring is the call.

Edited by flyjunky
Correction

I'm getting ready to replace my DRZ 400e chain. It has the stock o-ring chain on it but the guys at the shop are trying to sell me a Renthal non o ring chain. I'm going to be riding Barstow to Vegas in November. Any recommendations would be helpful. I'm thinking another o ring is the call.

at least you won't wear out a non o-ring chain if you do that trip -once- ;-)

go o-ring and no worries

at least you won't wear out a non o-ring chain if you do that trip -once- ;-)

+1.......... IMO, A 100 mile day is wicked hard on a non O-ring

The pitch and inner width is the same but the pin length is slightly longer so the overall chain is a little wider. As long as you take care of the chains and and adjust them/lube them either one should be fine. The oring chains are lubed from the factory and things like pressure washing or using WD will swell the orings or push water in/lube out. I personally prefer non-oring chains but the lube used on a non-oring chain makes a lot more mess.

The pitch and inner width is the same but the pin length is slightly longer so the overall chain is a little wider. As long as you take care of the chains and and adjust them/lube them either one should be fine. The oring chains are lubed from the factory and things like pressure washing or using WD will swell the orings or push water in/lube out. I personally prefer non-oring chains but the lube used on a non-oring chain makes a lot more mess.

no shit ? (not sarcasm)

all those standards, but they really aren't. hmm, thanks for the info !

im going to go with non o-ring for the first time _ going with this light weight one ___ EK 520 MRD (MRD6)Motorcycle Chain - Motocross

MX Motocross Racing Chain.

EK quality and performance. Riders can get the same quality chain the pros use. With solid bushings and rollers, high-strength heat treating, providing outstanding performance and remarkable value. Includes clip type master link. 520x120 also available in the lightest weight specifically for racing, 10% lighter - EK520MRDL6 - L for lightweight! In Gold, Red, Yellow, Purple, Green.

dont expect it to last too long with the stroker motor

i use the top quality did 520 vm ~ x ring , durable and long lasting when correctly maintained

did is all i have ever used on all my bikes , time for a change

unless its a race bike use a ring chain.

Ok Eddie I trust your knowledge. So not to put you on the spot. What chain would you put on your bike ? If you don't mind.