TT-R or DR-Z - help

OK here goes:

so i am currently 16 and get my motorcycle license in a few months time. i have a 2008 crf450r now, but i dont like motocross tracks anyway and ride trails. i live near this place where there are heaps of trails (it is illegal to ride there but no one cares) so i do want to sell the crf and get a road and trail bike. but i dont want it to have the same maintenance schedule as a crf450r u know what i mean.....?

and, i have learnt over time that power is not everything and this 450 is too much for nothing for me anyways.

so it is either a tt-r250 or a dr-z400e (no i dont want the dr-z250,i dont know why it just doesnt appeal to me)

no i now for sure that the ttr250 or the drz400 are not going to be anything like my crf450r in terms of power.

but....recently, something amazing happend..

i went riding over the weekend at a friends farm with trails and wide open spaces with high speed corners etc and his uncle came with us and his uncle has a ttr250, i think it was like an 06 model. so i thought wow, perfect opportunity to see if i even like it...and turns out i had more fun on that than my bike.

i had soooo much fun on the ttr. it was amazing.

so, i need everybody's help. what bike to buy (i want to buy new, both are about the same price here in OZ) and why?

so yer, just tell me your thoughts.

feel free to ad anything to this question as i am a bit tired and cant remember all the questions i thought of asking while riding the ttr over the weekend lol

i have never ridden a drz400e.

Im not sure if we got the same ttr over here that you do. I dont remember a ttr250 ever being street legal over here. The ttr250 we did get was a decent bike off road. They handle well but there really wasnt much of an aftermarket for them. In that respect the drz would give you more options.

I dont know if i would put the ttr and drz in the same category. Your best bet is to probably find someone with a drz and ride it. I will say going from a MX bike to a drz is going to be a world of difference. Motors aside the chassis/handling are completely different. What about getting a crf450x street legal? ?

Here is what I know , the TT-R has a six speed and is about 10-15 kg lighter than a DRZ-E model which has 5 . You will have to change the gearing , as with the other DRZ models the TT-r has road gearing but the suspension is better than the DRZ -E and supposedly a few enduro guys are swapping there WR forks for TT-r forks . The TT-r is air cooled with around 10-1 compression and the DRZ-E is water cooled with around 12-1 compression . I have read that the TT-r will do 130 kph and the DRZ will do at least 20 to 30 kph more depending on the model . I dont know about services , but if the TT is like a DRZ then both have long intervals and are more long lasting than the CRF`s and WR`s .

You have ridden the TT-R so you know how that compares to your CRF . I would get to a bike shop and get a ride of the DRZ , that would be the best bet . Then you would have a comparison of both . If you go by what other people say , you have to realise that what they think is good might not be good for you . Ultimately it is up to you , so try to get a demo of the DRZ then you can compare and make a better choice . There is nothing worse than buying something you dont want , greg

I've ridden both. My '04 DR-Z400E and a 2006 TT-R250. I switched from an '06 YZ450F to the DRZ to gain e-start and a kick stand. I love riding the DRZ.

You haven't told us how much you weigh. That would influence my opinion. If you're under 200 lbs, the TTR would be just fine for having fun on the trails. If you 're a big bloke or like to have decent power to climb hills, go with the 400.

The DRZ is a very capable trail bike in a wide variety of conditions. It has plenty of power for even a big guy (250lbs) like me, but it's a very controllable, predictable power. Handling the DRZ on the trails is a pleasure.

Maintenance on the DRZ isn't at all demanding, especially compared to your CRF. The air cooled TTR is even more simple (darn near bullet-proof).

I've ridden both. My '04 DR-Z400E and a 2006 TT-R250. I switched from an '06 YZ450F to the DRZ to gain e-start and a kick stand. I love riding the DRZ.

You haven't told us how much you weigh. That would influence my opinion. If you're under 200 lbs, the TTR would be just fine for having fun on the trails. If you 're a big bloke or like to have decent power to climb hills, go with the 400.

The DRZ is a very capable trail bike in a wide variety of conditions. It has plenty of power for even a big guy (250lbs) like me, but it's a very controllable, predictable power. Handling the DRZ on the trails is a pleasure.

Maintenance on the DRZ isn't at all demanding, especially compared to your CRF. The air cooled TTR is even more simple (darn near bullet-proof).

u make some valid points:

i too like the idea of a kick stand and e-start.

i weigh about 100kg last time i checked (220pounds)

and i have ridden my crf on the road sometimes and love the acceleration etc - like a Ferrari lol- and i suppose the closest thing to it between these 2 bikes would be the 400

but as u said towards the end the ttr is bullet proof which is appealing to me as i am 16 and dont have the biggest budget or intend to spend to much $$$ on maintenance.

but i think the seat height on the drz and my crf would be similar. i am not short but i dont like getting on tall bikes so i like the compact-ness of the ttr if u know what i mean.

If you weigh that much ,without riding gear ,I think the 400 would be more suitable.....?

Go for the 400E ...We are lucky here in OZ to still have the Real E....?

+1 , you'll be very happy with the 400,and theirs heaps you can

do with them ! great in the bush and on the street !

especially if you get a set of motard rims ? tonnes of fun :cheers:

If you weigh that much ,without riding gear ,I think the 400 would be more suitable.....?

Go for the 400E ...We are lucky here in OZ to still have the Real E....?

+1 , you'll be very happy with the 400,and theirs heaps you can

do with them ! great in the bush and on the street !

especially if you get a set of motard rims ? tonnes of fun :cheers:

i dont know what it is but something is pulling me towards the tt-r but keep the comments coming i have definately not ruled out the dr-z yet.

i went to my yamaha dealer today and they said $7300 on road for the tt-r and im sure i could get the drz that low if paying cash

The TTR is an excellent trail bike and not bad for a commute either, the TTR is lower and easier to manage than the DRZ if you are shorter in the leg. But the best way to find out is to ride one.

So if you are shorter and don't want to go to the bother of lowering the suspension of a DRZ then the TTR is a good buy.

Dan

i dont know what it is but something is pulling me towards the tt-r but keep the comments coming i have definately not ruled out the dr-z yet.

i went to my yamaha dealer today and they said $7300 on road for the tt-r and im sure i could get the drz that low if paying cash

I paid 7,250 unregistered for my E....They are 7,990 ride away at the moment..?

Better bang for your buck than the 2fitty........?

Going from a CRF450R to a TT-R 250 would probably feel like getting on a moped to you. I know you said power isn't everything, and while that's true, the TT-R in stock form puts down 28HP, or slightly more than half of your 450. The 400E would be around 40, but much more mellow in comparison. With your weight, I think the 400E would be perfect for what you say you want to do. Just my .02

I have a DRZ400E and can say it's a great trail bike. I'm 6'2" 200lbs. so the seat height is not an issue for me. As a side note, I noticed my buddies KTM 200 EXC seat height looked a little higher than the DRZ when parked right next to each other so go figure.

Just be sure to do the to the loctite "fixes" in the DRZ FAQ. These items affect a relatively small percentage of the DRZ's but seeing to them is good insurance. I waited too late on stator fix!

The DRZ400E has great low end torque and the power rolls on very nicely as you twist the throttle. For the trails, it's a great compromise between a low power TTR and a get-into-trouble-fast 450.

Get the DRZ. If you need or want it a little lower, I'll buy you some lowering links and send them to you. I understand that two feet on the ground when learning is comforting.......no worries. If you are going to buy a new bike, and plan to keep it for awhile.......and you are 16 and still growing, get the DRZ it will grow with you and you will be able to keep it longer than the TTR.

I like TTR's, so I'm not bashing, having my #1 son go through what you are going through, I have some knowledge on your decisions...........my offer stands on the lowering links, if you need them. ?

Where abouts in the gong are you mate?

I live in "gods country" too.

Got an SM and I take it everywhere. I've ridden my mates E and I prefer the SM's suspension even off road.

Don't the ttr's have rear drum brakes?

Everytime I've seen one they remind me of a simple farm bike not something I would take bashing through the bush.

Where abouts in the gong are you mate?

I live in "gods country" too.

Got an SM and I take it everywhere. I've ridden my mates E and I prefer the SM's suspension even off road.

Don't the ttr's have rear drum brakes?

Everytime I've seen one they remind me of a simple farm bike not something I would take bashing through the bush.

i live a few k's south of Wollongong like 10 minute drive

no the ttr's have disc breaks too front and rear

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/motorcycle/offroad/trail-bike/09-tt-r250

click on picture to see

and for u Americans on here the ttr can be ridden on the road legally in Australia:ride:

Go the E, You won't regret it.

I moved from a DR-Z250 to a 400E and haven't looked back. The 250 was a good bike, but powerwise it was not even comparable. As far as gearing, my 250 with 15/45 sprockets honestly felt about the same at 100kph in 6th gear as my 400 does at 100kph with 14/47 in 5th gear.

Consider also the massive aftermarket for the 400, the 3rd gear power wheelies and the ability to beat a Suburu WRX at the lights ?

Regarding price, i bought my 2009 E, with 450kms for $6,250.