Sign in to follow this  

XR400 on the trails?

I don't know where everyone gets the idea that the XR 400 is "Heavy" granted it is heavier than the modern 450's but do you know how much heavier

Here's some figures for you

wr450 = 112kg

crf450 = 113kg

klx450 = 115kg

KTM450 = 113kg

And the xr400 = 116kg thats 3kg heavier than most.

That's bugger all most of us cant ride good enough to notice the difference in weight.

A friend of mine just bought a ktm450 and for the first time managed to ride up some rock steps which he never could on his xr has it made him a better rider no it hasnt because i can ride the rock steps on his xr and mine no problem

better brakes suspension and performance dont make the rider better just make it easier.

To answer your question if your a rider of average skills you cant go wrong with the xr for any kind of trail riding

If your a crap rider buy a modern bike it will make trail riding easier for you

If you want to race along the trails the xr will do it but you will have an easier time on a modern bike but i dont think you will feel as comfy after 8 hours in the saddle as aboard the xr

this is my personal opinion so dont shoot me :smirk:

also with advancements in technology when it comes to suspension and engine performance, weight starts to become a bit more negligible. while the xr4 doesn't weigh a whole lot more, it makes quite a bit less horsepower than the newer bikes. The higher power to weight ratio of the newer bikes comes into play as well. the xr is a true thumper with an 85mm bore and a 70mm stroke. a new crf 450 has a 96mm bore and 62mm stroke. the crf 450 is designed for fast, high revving horsepower, while the xr is designed to have a smooth, high torque power band which makes it stellar for trail riding and enduro riding. now with engine technology, the short stroke bikes have gotten a lot better; better carbs (EFI !!!!!), cams, head design, etc. I like the simplicity of the xr lineup. easy to work on, not a ton of maintenance are just plain old good bikes.

Modern bikes don't "feel" as heavy to throw around on the trail when they're up on two wheels. When I rode my buddys CRF450X it felt as if I were balancing on a knife blade as far as leaning and turning compared to my XR400.

I've had this experience many times. Not sure why/how either, because 10-15lbs should be hard to notice. IMHO, the heavier feel of the XR also comes with a greater feeling of stability. That I do like.

R

Man, I like all responses here!! all hit the nail right in the head.

COMBINE all that torque, stability and a bulletproof design, you get the XR400.

Sure the weight issue is IMO more of a feeling than the real deal, meaning the gas tank is higher up and closer to your body compared to say a KTM (feels a little more balanced)... HOWEVER, there's no thing like the XR400...

Jimmy Lewis (Dirt Rider Sr. Editor) said it once: The XR400 is the kind of bike that you ride for the ride, not to show it off to your buddies or to see who has the hottest bike in the group, it's intended for the rider that want's to make the tires bald, it does NOTHING spectacular but EVERYTHING OK... This was said after evaluating the new Husky TE400

I don't know where everyone gets the idea that the XR 400 is "Heavy" granted it is heavier than the modern 450's but do you know how much heavier

Here's some figures for you

wr450 = 112kg

crf450 = 113kg

klx450 = 115kg

KTM450 = 113kg

And the xr400 = 116kg thats 3kg heavier than most.

That's bugger all most of us cant ride good enough to notice the difference in weight.

A friend of mine just bought a ktm450 and for the first time managed to ride up some rock steps which he never could on his xr has it made him a better rider no it hasnt because i can ride the rock steps on his xr and mine no problem

better brakes suspension and performance dont make the rider better just make it easier.

To answer your question if your a rider of average skills you cant go wrong with the xr for any kind of trail riding

If your a crap rider buy a modern bike it will make trail riding easier for you

If you want to race along the trails the xr will do it but you will have an easier time on a modern bike but i dont think you will feel as comfy after 8 hours in the saddle as aboard the xr

this is my personal opinion so dont shoot me :smirk:

Some good points above...

Let me add;

I personally think it's a power, to weight ratio that I "feel".

I do feel the weight, and lack of power in comparison to my 'performance' bike. However, I choose to ride the 400 over my 450X due to the terrain and the tiring factor. Sometimes I want my arms pulled off, sometimes I don't and want to tractor through. I think the 400 is a killer bike, and today I did 110 miles of fun on it just to prove it can put a smile on my face. :p

Some good points above...

Let me add;

I personally think it's a power, to weight ratio that I "feel".

I do feel the weight, and lack of power in comparison to my 'performance' bike. However, I choose to ride the 400 over my 450X due to the terrain and the tiring factor. Sometimes I want my arms pulled off, sometimes I don't and want to tractor through. I think the 400 is a killer bike, and today I did 110 miles of fun on it just to prove it can put a smile on my face. :p

HECK YEAH!:smirk:

I like the xr because of it's simplicity as well as the ride it gives.

some of the places i ride are in the middle of nowhere and i drop the bike regular i think a rad would have been replaced at least once if i had a crf or something similar

Don't get me wrong i've riden allot of the new stuff and and love them hell of a buzz when riding them. I think lower center of gravity definatly makes them "feel" alot lighter but i am a trail rider not an enduro rider so the xr is the bike for the job if it had electric start it would be perfection for me

I own one, and a few other bikes, the xr is slow steering and feels heavy/lazy

I do like the suspension, I prefer standard forks like the XR has

the stock carb is a POS and the only place they deserve to be is in the trash, a pumper carb transforms the bike

mine has a 440 kit and pumper carb, and an exhaust tip, back to back riding my wifes crf250x the XR is on par with everything, the XR makes a LOT more power off idle to mid, and the crf makes more on top

for handling they are very similar, both feel big and overweight compared to my ktm's

Oh, it's HEAVY! I had to give up my XR400 because of the weight - it's a tall bike, and I'd tweak my back routinely from simple leg-down-bobbles and such. Each tweak meant a month of suffering, so I gave up on it and I swapped to a 125 2-stroke (50 pounds lighter) - HUGE difference with the back injury factor, but a little harder to ride and obnoxious sounding - fun though. I still have my XR4, but I'm afraid to ride it now - I'm keeping it as a loaner. My XR4 is still the best suspended bike I've ever ridden.

XR4s are the best rock bikes made, provided the forks are re-sprung and have the crappy stock valves replaced. Its all rocks around here - I run Gold Valves with light valving and usually run my clickers wide open on both ends. All that extra weight makes the bike extremely stable and straight-tracking, and the motor, provided it is set up correctly (uncorked and re-jetted) has more off-the-bottom grunt than any modern bike, and way more usable power then anything in the 250f class.

JayC

Oh, it's HEAVY! I had to give up my XR400 because of the weight - it's a tall bike, and I'd tweak my back routinely from simple leg-down-bobbles and such. Each tweak meant a month of suffering, so I gave up on it and I swapped to a 125 2-stroke (50 pounds lighter) - HUGE difference with the back injury factor, but a little harder to ride and obnoxious sounding - fun though. I still have my XR4, but I'm afraid to ride it now - I'm keeping it as a loaner. My XR4 is still the best suspended bike I've ever ridden.

XR4s are the best rock bikes made, provided the forks are re-sprung and have the crappy stock valves replaced. Its all rocks around here - I run Gold Valves with light valving and usually run my clickers wide open on both ends. All that extra weight makes the bike extremely stable and straight-tracking, and the motor, provided it is set up correctly (uncorked and re-jetted) has more off-the-bottom grunt than any modern bike, and way more usable power then anything in the 250f class.

JayC

Yep your right compaired to a two stroke it is bloody Heavy but you cant compare the two. I remember a mate struggling to pull the back end of his ktm 300 out of a muddy rutt i went over and grabbed hold pulled it out as if it was as light as a feather. I said to him jokingly riding this two stroke has turned you into a pu55y:lol: The xr certainly gives you a work out on times

As for the carb i like mine pretty much standard done the uncorking mods and thats it, no problems with starting it other than after a long day of riding where the combination of the tall seat height (as you said) and kick starting can be a pain in the arse.

Although I also have a KTM450 I like to ride my XR400 when riding with newbies as it's less aggressive. The best mod that I did to my XR was to fit an Ohlins shock. It meant I could go about 25-30mph faster on the rough stuff. The carb has been modified & runs perfectly. The other worthwhile mod is to raise the handlebars by using some spacers or top clamps underneath, with longer bolts.

Nowadays I also have some 17" wheels for that extra bit of fun.

Although I also have a KTM450 I like to ride my XR400 when riding with newbies as it's less aggressive. The best mod that I did to my XR was to fit an Ohlins shock. It meant I could go about 25-30mph faster on the rough stuff. The carb has been modified & runs perfectly. The other worthwhile mod is to raise the handlebars by using some spacers or top clamps underneath, with longer bolts.

Nowadays I also have some 17" wheels for that extra bit of fun.

I did the handlebar risers on mine and I now can stand in a comfortable position for a while!! it's amazing what an inch can do there...:smirk:

Although mine is currently for sale, I will tell you that the 400 is a bullet proof tractor. I had mine in some of the nastiest single tracks in the Hatfield McCoys, and it was great. The bike will never let you down at a bad moment. I was able to stroll through areas that were so tight that you seemed to be idling through forever. I never had to worry about radiators either.:smirk:

.................. I never had to worry about radiators either.:excuseme:

ONE major reason I bought my XR4....

And here it was on a day last week, when I thought I'd never have done this on my radiatored 450X ... punctures would have been immenent as I made my own trail;

PA136729.jpg

Yes the XR4 is a great trail bike. Just rode two days, 135 miles at Hatfield and McCoy. The XR4 did every trail...red/black, black, blue, green with ease. I was just along for the ride.

"that's what your mother said last night, Trebeck! HAHAHAHAHA"

Sorry. ....

Yep, being a Mexican I should've known better... :excuseme:

Yep, being a Mexican I should've known better... :smirk:

"Baxter...You know i don't speak spanish" :lol::excuseme:

After not riding for nearly 10 years some freinds talked me into going with them. One was on a crf450x the other an xr600. They gave me a loner xr400. Both had been riding continuously for 25 years. They took me to some snake belly winding rocky mountainbike trail in the bottom of a canyon where they both had some problems. I had none and credit it to how user freindly the xr400 is. It's a slightly heavy, soft suspension bike but the power is perfect for trail use. Almost like an updated 85 xr350.