Sign in to follow this  

Help! Need a replacement tank for my xr400

Went out into the garage yesterday and the garage smelled of heavy gas fumes. Looked and found a puddle of gas under my XR. Checked around and sure enough, my tank cracked horizonally on the right side. I live in Arizona and its been pretty hot lately, I have heard of this happening, I just wish it wasn't my turn. New tank is $375 (ouch!). Anyone out there have a tank (red,stock) ) they would sell for a 2002-2004 XR400? thanks

I have the same issue on my xr250 and I am looking into a fix as oppose to a replacement tank due to its cost - I also live in AZ.

Mine is a very small leak so I am going to try some epoxy, jb weld or some type of putty - I'll let you know what worked.

When the tanks on our XRs go, we replace them with a Clark tank. $175 or an IMS $215. Never would I pony up the money for a new stock tank. Make sure you get a new oring when you take the petcock valve out.

I have my old tank that is a back up sitting in the garage, that I may be talked into selling. I was planning on switiching back and forth between the IMS and the Stock tank when the range was not needed but I have yet to do that in the year that I have had the IMS on.:smirk:

Stock tanks are on ebay all the time cheap. But I like the clarke 3.8. After five minutes you will never know its there.

Stock tanks in e-bay? hmmm I may be looking in all the wrong places. Can you send me a link?

Thx

Is your tank for an xr400 or xr250 - or are they the same?

color?

Mine is a red one from an xr 400. They are the same 250/400.

The aftermarket tanks are made to fit both models but the OE tanks are different. There has been some debate about them being interchangable. As I recall the 400 tank supposedly fits the 250 but they do not work the other way around? Search the archives to confirm this. The red 400 tank is part #17520-KCY-A20ZA and the red 250 tank is part #17520-KCE-A20ZA. The earlier white tanks are 17520-KCY-660ZA and 17520-KCE-660ZA. KCY is 400, KCE is 250.

This happened to my 250 after two weeks of being stored outside, in the sun but under a tarp. I think the tank expands with the fuel and just cracks it. I took off my 400 tank (which is always stored indoors) and put it on the 250. the 3.8 Clarke is on the way - under $200 on Ebay. Look fwd to trying it, glad to hear you forget it's there after 5 mins.