G2 quick turn throttle

Has any body tried a g2 quick turn throttle on a CRF450. I realized that I don't don't always turn the throttle all the way when I should be turning it wide open and I think this may be the key. Plus I heard that the bushing inside the throttle tube makes the throttle very smooth. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking of trying one as well. Some of the jumps at my local track have a turn right before them and I have a difficult time getting over them. I'm sure I'm not getting to wide open. I think this would help and it would definitely help in keeping proper form (elbows up).

If you get one, let us know your thoughts. ?

• 2 weeks later...

I just rode with my new g2 quick throttle today. I will try to give an accurate review. I was not riding at the track I normally ride. I was a little worried that it would make the bike hard to ride or give it too much power before I bought it. The only time I noticed that was when I was tired. On a couple of the technical sections I noticed that I would over shoot the landing ramps if I wasn't careful because I was accelerating faster in between some of the jumps. Overall I feel like it accelerated harder and allowed to gain some speed exiting thru the corners. I noticed that low to mid throttle was slightly faster and quicker responding. mid to full made it feel like the bike would rev faster a lot faster almost like a two stroke or you could shift to a higher gear and have that gear just pull and pull. I didn't really notice any traction issues the only thing I noticed was that if your in a low gear first or second half to full throttle is little more touchy. No big deal just shift up and lug the motor a little going thur that tricky section. Also it makes easy to over jump stuff because you accelerate faster and carry more speed thru some sections.

Eric you realize you could have done exactly the same thing by twisting the OEM throttle with a little more "Gusto" right?

Way back the in the day MXA did a "how to be faster" article. They said when you open the throttle, open it all the way up. Every time. If youre not on the throttle, you should be on the brakes".

Seems pretty basic and logical, but its the truth when you think about it. Ever watch a pro wack at the throttle? Watch that elbow...It goes from up, to 9 o'clock almost every time.

Way back the in the day MXA did a "how to be faster" article. They said when you open the throttle, open it all the way up. Every time. If youre not on the throttle, you should be on the brakes".

My first reaction when reading this was that I'd like to see someone do that on a CR/KX500. I then realized I've seen it done.

Alan Andreau, a former pro, owns a track in Hilliard, Florida (North Florida MX). I was practicing at the old track there years ago thinking I'm getting around there pretty good when he passes me like I'm nailed to the track. Full throttle, no throttle then back to full throttle on a KX500! :cheers:? Never anything in between.

It's one thing to watch a pro from the sidelines, quite another thing to be on the track with them. It was humbling to say the least. ?

Eric you realize you could have done exactly the same thing by twisting the OEM throttle with a little more "Gusto" right?

Seems pretty basic and logical, but its the truth when you think about it. Ever watch a pro wack at the throttle? Watch that elbow...It goes from up, to 9 o'clock almost every time.

Well said!!!!!!! I've been working on that alot lately, along with cornering. Laps times are coming down quick. It's amazing how fast a stock bike is when you turn the throttle till it stops. A lot of free power to be had.?

• 3 years later...

bringing back an old thread, and considering a quick turn throttle. I notice I don't have enough wrist movement to open the throttle when standing, and if I try to overgrip, I get a little whiskey throttle or its hard to shut it down again. cant seem to find a happy medium.

I always use a quick throttle. One of the benefits to a quick throttle is that just as its easier to reach full throttle it is also easier to close the throttle again. So there will be less wrist lock situations. Its safer for me to run a quick throttle. It allows me to keep my form more in check and gives me better and faster control over throttle changes, both opening and closing.

The stock throttle tube is more of a joke. You dont see pros having to drop a right elbow to get wide open much do you? I know we are not pros and all that but we can learn from them.

Edited by UpAllNight
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...

For $60 I would rather have an aluminum tube with impregnated nylon (Delrin) insert, it'll last longer and won't break if the bike falls off the stand and the bars happen to smack a rock.

Edited by Eddie8v

I can appreciate a warranty or guaranty, but if it breaks you need another one asap. I will break it, I am dopey. At least that's what the wife calls me.

It'll survive a simple tipover off the stand. If it breaks in a crash, you might have bigger problems than a cracked throttle tube. That said I have one for my cr250 and love it. Works as advertised. Plus the crf one is even cheaper than the cr ones.

When I do desert racing, I am normally up front at the start. After about 5-10 miles, the adrenaline wears off a bit and I start to get passed, then I space out until someone passes me again then I keep up until I pass or that person pulls away. Will this help me go faster? I would be worried about technical sections where you don't want to add too much gas. I have had some calls where I hold on tight and wouldn't want to be adding more gas....

When I do desert racing, I am normally up front at the start. After about 5-10 miles, the adrenaline wears off a bit and I start to get passed, then I space out until someone passes me again then I keep up until I pass or that person pulls away. Will this help me go faster? I would be worried about technical sections where you don't want to add too much gas. I have had some calls where I hold on tight and wouldn't want to be adding more gas....

I dont think a short throw throttle will help focus. After a day of use you adjust so quick to the quicker throttle that is starts feeling almost OEM normal, yet your form and throttle response will be better. So you will basically go back to using the same less throttle habit as soon as autopilot kicks in. I once had the same autopilot problem, what helped me was putting in a couple of hours a week on a good race car game (F1 is best for this) to help exercise my mind to stay focused on putting on a charge. It helped huge!

You wont have any problems with the quick throttle once you get use to it. Remember its actually easier to back out of the throttle with a quick throttle than stock. so you will faster to correct errors overall.

Edited by UpAllNight
  • Like 1

A quick turn throttle will not make you faster if you dont twist it.  A quick turn throttle will merely allow you to get the throttle wide open without doing the "overgrip" exiting a corner and maintain proper elbows up position.  I am notoriously bad at that and now have no problem with the G2 or Rollon. I have tried them both and like both equally. I will put them on all bikes in the future and don't understand why they don't come stock, at least on MX bikes.