Changing the oil on KTM 350 SX-F

I am not sure if anyone else is slightly confused by the contradicting oil changing instructions for ktm 350 sx-f.

When changing the oil with the oil filter it goes on about laying the bike on the side then 1/3rd filling the oil filter housing up with oil, then filling the oil filter with oil and inserting into place.

It then goes on to say add 1.1 Litres of oil to the main area, Now the above info about the oil filter is that included in the 1.1L??? or do you have to add 1.1 L on top of what you have put in the oil filter and housing??

god talk about a complicated oil change lol, if anyone can confirm this that would be super, im doing my own head in.

Don't worry about the amount you pre-fill. Just one one full liter between the filter and the main area. From there go by eye with the little window next to the brake pedal. I usually use from 1.0 to 1.2 liters depending on how much my patience and time allows to fully drain. The manual says the oil should fill up to half of the window when the bike is cold.

I do it the old fashioned way .... drain the old .... clean the screen, put in a new filter and fill her up with 1.1 L ... start it up for a minute. Let it stand for about 5 min and see where the level is on the sight glass. Half way = done.

Yup. At start-up. Some poor saps have had their filter implode.

I've heard that too but have never experienced it myself. I think the key is not to rev the engine immediately after changing the oil to give it ample time to circulate and fill the filter cavity...a couple of minutes ought to work.

So do you just fill the entire 1.1 Litres into the main engine area and not worry about filling the oil filter and oil filter housing up?

Whether the filter cavity includes the 1.1L or not, its just a ballpark to get you close. oil capacities offered by mfg's, (ie: oil only, oil & filter, full engine tear down) are only good guesstimates to get you close. imho you need to go with the 1/2 way in the sight glass since its available in this application.

So to err on the side of caution, I'd think to start with 1.1L and use it to prefill, then when upright dump the rest in and see how close you get to 1/2 full sight glass. That will give you an idea for your own process.

(too many other factors can contribute to the 1.1L not being exact anyways. namely ambient temp, bike/oil temp, oil weight, amount of time drained, tip the bike around to try to drain every ounce out possible, etc)

• 7 months later...

So is everyone still doing this procedure? Seems a little wonky.

You can fill the filter if you use the KTM paper filter but if you use a stainless steel cleanable filter you cannot.

All you can do is fill the filter housing.

After I install the filter I take a syringe with a piece of spaghetti tubing on the end and fill the housing. This will flow oil thru the fliter as well.

Kind of ridiculous actually... you can fill the whole engine this way if you have the time.