Sign in to follow this  

2009 400 XC-W New Bike Disappointment

I found a good deal recently on a new 2009 closeout 400 XC-W. I had read rave reviews on this bike and thought I would give one a try. I am new to KTM. I find the power not as potent as my baja-ized 1998 Honda XR400 and not as much fun as my woodsed-out 2005 Yamaha YZ 250.

I have not done anything to the bike but add some armor for the woods and cross country riding. Am I missing something like a magic set of "uncorking mods" like the Honda XR's and CRF's benefit from, you know, stuff the factory won't put in the owners manuals!

The build quality is superb and it does handle sweetly and feels much lighter than it is but the power seems anemic. I took out the end cap spark arrestor/grill out and it was a few decibels louder but ran like crap and popped and backfired on decel then eventually bogged down and stalled.I put it back in and was back to normal but still bogged down and stalled and was a pain to get started.

I am new to the "orange army" and want to believe!! Someone help me to become a believer!!

• Like 1

You need to richen up jetting.They are real lean from the factory and even leaner after doing pipe mod.The best bet is to get a jd jetting kit.If you dont want to buy one try going up one richer piolit (45 if the same stock jetting as 450) and richen needle up 2 pos.That will help a little but best bet is to get kit.After you get jetting right it will wake it up.It should run circules around your xr.

Also i think on that bike you should be able to change the mapping curve.Do a search or look in owners man.

FYI;sign up to ktmtalk.com alot better info on that site.

You need to richen up jetting.They are real lean from the factory and even leaner after doing pipe mod.The best bet is to get a jd jetting kit.If you dont want to buy one try going up one richer piolit (45 if the same stock jetting as 450) and richen needle up 2 pos.That will help a little but best bet is to get kit.After you get jetting right it will wake it up.It should run circules around your xr.

+1.

These bikes are very lean.

Properly jet it.

Just moving the needle 2 positions will make it feel like a new bike.

I just got one of these recently and...it is not mx 450 that is for sure but the power is awesome in the woods. Fast enough to haul @ss but slow enough to keep you out of major trouble.

My bike is running a JD kit with the exhaust unrestricted. Measured 91db in a test a week ago.

You should go ride a 250f. That will make it feel faster!

Ok guys! I got it richened up and it is like a whole new bike! It seems very tame and docile cruising around but if you crack the throttle you better be holding on!! I'm gonna like this bike! It will indeed go in circles around the old XR!

Thanks for everyone's input! And no, I don't think i'll sell it!!

I had an 09 400 XCW and it ripped after the JD JET KIT and screen removed. A buddie who has a 450 XCW was very impressed with the 400. Stock they are lean hence the backfire on decel jet it and you will love that bike.

Ok guys! I got it richened up and it is like a whole new bike! It seems very tame and docile cruising around but if you crack the throttle you better be holding on!! I'm gonna like this bike! It will indeed go in circles around the old XR!

Do a search i think that bike you can put a honda diaphram in that will slow down the ap squirt to take the bog off the bottom.Or go with a bigger leak jet.

I knew that there had to be some kind of issue. I have ridden both a KTM 400 and a XR400. There is NO way that the Honda would run circles around the KTM (IMO). My buddy has a 400 that he felt didnt scare him enough, so he made it a 450. Loves it!!:smirk:

try the JD jet kit with a FMF hard parts slip on with the 1.5 arrested outlet. yeeha!! got to un plug the map wire in the tight. I love the new 400 it does the magic in the tight and rips on open ground @70mph with ease. Oh and get the dirt tricks time chain tensioner to get rid of that ticking.