Sign in to follow this  

250 vs 400 for a blend of MX'ing & Trails

So I own both an XR250 and a XR400 (both early 2000 year models). Both bikes have the Gordon mods done, but otherwise stock. I don't do that much riding, but I've owned enough bikes to know that I love the XR motors. I've had a new CRF and while it was nice, I still like how the XR's rev out and are obviously easier to maintain. Here's my challenge: I'd say that I'm riding MX tracks at least 50% of the time and the 250 is pretty easy to flick around, but it lacks a little power for my 200 pound frame and the suspension just can't cut it on the jumps (and my jumps are tiny compared to a lot of riders). The 400 puts a grin on my face from rolling on the throttle, but many is there a weight difference....does not feel flickable like the 250...but the 400 absorbs all the jumping just fine.

I can't keep both bikes, so do I sell the 250 and just learn to ride the 400 as is, or do I sell the 400 and build out the 250....better fork springs, maybe a 280 big bore kit, and a new rear shock????? Or another way to look at this is which bike would be the better all around 50% mx/50% trails bike and/or how do I make the XR a bit more MX friendly?? The reason I sold the CRF is both $$ and maint, so going back to a CRFx is probably not the answer for me.

Well my friend, I myself want to own 2 bikes precisely for the same dilemma you have... Having a 250 to me is for an ocasional tight trails ride and also meant for a buddy bike, meaning some off-roader friends come to visit and doesn't bring a bike, well, he can have the 250. Meaning, keep both or keep the 400 only. I learned to manage the 400 just fine like on the 4th single-tight river crossing ride I did, so it's doable. For MX'ing maybe not, I don't know a lot of people that use the XR's for MX but the 400 probably is too heavy for the track...

Just my 2 cents...

It's definitely a dilema for me....and I have used the spare bike for several buddies so that's worked out nice, but I hate to keep the $$ tied up as well as space in the garage. I'm leaning toward keeping the 400 and keeping an eye open for a 250 that's been modded out a bit and give that a try. I don't have the time/patience to mod my 250 at the moment. Overall the 400 suits my style for power a bit better...and it's definitely a bigger smile factor when you turn the throttle! Another buddy said I should give the KTM 200 or 300 2 strokes a whirl....about the same power as the XR400, much lighter, beefy suspension. I've had several 2 strokes and while I like em', I've become content with the smoother roll-on power of the XR engine...but maybe the 200/300 KTM's are smoother???

I rode a ktm 300 once and while it was smooth and comparable off the very bottom (just off idle) with the 400, it has probably twice the mid-top power of a XR. Its on an entirely different level to say the least. I imagine a 200 would still spank an XR fairly easily in outright acceleration. Probably wont have as much low end tourqe but I bet it isn't too far off. The ktm200 would be the a great bike if you can only have 1 and want it to do it all, moto, woods, whatever. If you ride a lot of open terrain get the 300. They can tractor along or be scary fast. Just depends on how far you twist the throttle.

The XR's are not a motocross bikes, ever. XR's are pretty much a bullet proof bike that need minimal maintenance.

That said, if you spend money on the suspension, get other minor things to your particular liking, they will last forever.

Love em', forget about em', they will always be ready to be run when you are.

I rode a 98 xr400 out in the AZ trails for years. The bike was very dependable, easy to start and plenty of power (nothing new to you all) BUT heavy.

I later switched to a yz250f for the the same type of riding plus the track. Nice bike!!

10 years older, ACL repair and 12 lbs heavier than before - I now ride a stock xr250 and I like it better than the other 2 bikes. It's easier to start, to ride and does great out at the trails. Sure we all can use more power but for me - the xr250 is a keeper.

The XR's are not a motocross bikes, ever. XR's are pretty much a bullet proof bike that need minimal maintenance.

That said, if you spend money on the suspension, get other minor things to your particular liking, they will last forever.

Love em', forget about em', they will always be ready to be run when you are.

+1. They are like lawn mowers without blades. Change the oil once a year and put gas in them.

I rode a ktm 300 once and while it was smooth and comparable off the very bottom (just off idle) with the 400, it has probably twice the mid-top power of a XR. Its on an entirely different level to say the least. I imagine a 200 would still spank an XR fairly easily in outright acceleration. Probably wont have as much low end tourqe but I bet it isn't too far off. The ktm200 would be the a great bike if you can only have 1 and want it to do it all, moto, woods, whatever. If you ride a lot of open terrain get the 300. They can tractor along or be scary fast. Just depends on how far you twist the throttle.

A few of my friends switched from the XR400 to the KTM 300 and never looked back. I've ridden my friends KTM 300 EXC and it will lug like an XR400 and get up and scream beyond what an XR400 can do.

I have a KTM 200SX and an XR400 now. If I'm casually riding or riding tricky areas, I like the XR400. If I want to push the limits, the 200SX is fun. About the same top HP, the 200 is about 50 lbs lighter, the XR is unbreakable. The 200SX has a lot more bottom end that I thought, but not many bikes have the bottom end of the XR400.

I'll keep the XR400 forever since it's plated and a new street legal dual-sport is over $8k.

i'm a 2stroke nut. absolutely love my kdx and my husky. with that said i'll never sell my xr 400. it's always there ready to ride when the others are broken. she'll get some miles this sunday. woohoo.

mx on her..........mmmmmmm, nope

Quick update....found a KX250f (07' model) for sale 5 minutes from the house, so decided to go take it for a spin.....WOW! very nice. Light, light, light! Nimble. Tight suspension. Just as snappy as the 400 (seat of the pants anyway). May have to give this serious consideration.

Yea, but most folks that say that kind of thing have never owned one. They're Just as good as they're Japanese. Counterparts

I have a KTM and I"m keeping my XR400 too.

Quick update....found a KX250f (07' model) for sale 5 minutes from the house, so decided to go take it for a spin.....WOW! very nice. Light, light, light! Nimble. Tight suspension. Just as snappy as the 400 (seat of the pants anyway). May have to give this serious consideration.

Do some research. I don't know which year, but a friend had one and couldn't wait to sell it. It was constantly breaking down.

OK - I think I have solved my dilema. I'm going to sell both the XR250 and the XR400. I found a CRF250x (with magic button!) for an unbelievable price....bought it. Feels like a mountain bike compared to the XR400, just as fast (for my riding style anyway), easy start, looks almost new. Seat is not quite as comfy, but I can deal with that. I'm sure I'll miss something about the XR's, but for my needs, I could not pass up the 250x. I can jump it, ride mx, take it through the trails, stop/start as much as I want to talk to the kids and just push a button to get going again!

A few of my friends switched from the XR400 to the KTM 300 and never looked back. I've ridden my friends KTM 300 EXC and it will lug like an XR400 and get up and scream beyond what an XR400 can do.

I have a KTM 200SX and an XR400 now. If I'm casually riding or riding tricky areas, I like the XR400. If I want to push the limits, the 200SX is fun. About the same top HP, the 200 is about 50 lbs lighter, the XR is unbreakable. The 200SX has a lot more bottom end that I thought, but not many bikes have the bottom end of the XR400.

I'll keep the XR400 forever since it's plated and a new street legal dual-sport is over $8k.

I've followed a similar cycle, and after a decade am back on a plated xr400.

Started with an xr400, then went to a KTM 400exc, picked up an xr250, then tried out a KTM 200exc and then rode a Husky TE450 for a few years.

For my riding needs/wants today, low-end torque, reliability and ease of maintenance are critical. Fortunately, I was able to trade the Husky for a friends almost literally brand new plated xr400.

I'm looking forward to getting it ready for some long DS rides.

R

OK - I think I have solved my dilema. I'm going to sell both the XR250 and the XR400. I found a CRF250x (with magic button!) for an unbelievable price....bought it. Feels like a mountain bike compared to the XR400, just as fast (for my riding style anyway), easy start, looks almost new. Seat is not quite as comfy, but I can deal with that. I'm sure I'll miss something about the XR's, but for my needs, I could not pass up the 250x. I can jump it, ride mx, take it through the trails, stop/start as much as I want to talk to the kids and just push a button to get going again!

PlanoXR,

I am so closeby, you can probably see me hiding in your shrubs. :smirk:

Curious about the XR400...condition, hours, etc. If a PM or email is better, let me know.