Sign in to follow this  

Anybody ever put a Hydraulic Clutch on a CR250?

My clutch pulls hard and wears me out. I was wondering if you can put a hydraulic clutch on a 04 CR250? Does it involve just buying the lever and line or do you have to do something to your basket? Any experiance on this would be appreciated.

I believe they run around 200, you get a lever w/a resevoir (sp?) a hydraulic line and an actuator/ram that attaches to the clutch arm, they self adjust as the clutch wears so there is no adjusting

Never had 1 but i've ridden a couple KTM's

My experience with a hydro clutch on CRF450's has been that the clutch doesn't pull any easier than a properly lubed cable operated clutch. On my CR250 with a cable clutch, it pulls easier than the hydro on the 450. Are you sure that you just don't need to do some cable and lever pivot maintainance?

Magura makes kits, I haven't heard great things about them.

Try swapping out your inferior aftermarket cable for a high quality OEM cable from Honda. The $14 price tag is well worth it. OEM cables fit the best and are the smoothest.

Maybe my cable is getting old. I do keep it well lubed, I even have one o those nefty cable luber tools that makes sure u get it in there. I jumped on a Ktm that pulled so easily with the hydraulic. But as stated above I have felt ones that pull just as hard as cables do. I was hopeing to hear of one that pulled easily all of the time. I think for now I'll just try to get a new oem cable and see if that helps. My friends CR definately pulls 2x as easy as mine does. Thanks for the input guys.

I ride with a number of KTM's. Clutch hydraulic failure does happen and many times more often than cable failure.

If you are considering changing, think on this.

My CR cable pull is light so I suspect you have a cable problem, hopefully this will be sorted with the new cable.

Yes I hope it is just a cable problem, I ordered a Honda one today I hope it fixes it!

Magura hydraulic clutch's are great..in fact i groan whenever i have to ride a bike without one now after owning a KTM. I have compared the clutch pull on both the 02 and 07 CR250's..they both felt same..heaps heavier then a hydra clutch and my friends who own the CR's both complain about arm pump..never had that issue with a hydra clutch they are so light its awesome.

i recommend putting on a new quality cable as well.

i put the magura one on my 02 cr250 and didn't really notice much of a differance.

i ride an 09 ktm 250 now and it is a lot easier to pull.... but, it is a different hydrolic system. i may have a smaller piston on the master side or a different fulcrum point on the lever, but never to less it is a differant system.

if you still need it easier you can try one of these easy pull adaptors.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/192/4222/ITEM/Moose-Racing-Replacement-Cable-for-Easy-Pull-Clutch-System.aspx

If you didn't notice the difference with the Honda, do you think Ktm's just have lighter springs in the clutch? Or are the new Hydros just better? I'm still going with the cable route for now.

they are two different systems, (KTM and the magura for my old cr,) with different master and slave cylinder sizes.

physics 101

basically with simple machines, the more distance traveled to do the same amount of work will take less force.

if you disingage the clutch over a short distance of pull on the lever, it will require more force (harder,) to pull the lever in.

if you disingage the clutch over a longer distance of pull on the lever, it will require less force.(easier pull.) (a lever is a simple machine.)

with hydrolics it is very much the same in the distance, work, force concepts but you do it with the master cylinder and slave cylinder piston sizes. with a hydrolic system you will keep most of you energy lost to friction, not all, but you still need to do the same amount of work with your hand at the lever, which pushes in the master cylinder piston. that piston pushes fluid, and that fluid pushes the slave cylinder piston. if you can decrease the master piston diameter so that it pushes less fluid over the same amount of lever travel it would increase the distance and decrease the force to do the same required work.

"Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand and i will move the world." :Archimedes

changing the piston size in the hydrolic set up is not practical, but with the cable set-up you can buy that "easy pull adaptor" and it will increase the distance, (at the lever,) and decrease the force.

also keep in mind that when installing this type of product that your lever will bottom out at the handle bar when the setup would require more distance pulled on the lever so that the lever below is pulled the same amount as before. so the clutch pressure plate will not push out as far as it did before. thios may cause clutch drag issues. so it is a balnace between making the lever easier to pull but still disingageing the clutch all the way.

hopfully that helps. i guess i kind of rambeled on there.

Edited by hawaii500_1999
corrected from lose of energy to keep energy.
  • Like 1

If you didn't notice the difference with the Honda, do you think Ktm's just have lighter springs in the clutch?.

I'd considered that idea also but to be honest i"m not sure. I cant really remember any of the cable clutches Ive used being as light as a hydra though, my Honda road race bike uses a cable clutch and its heavy also.

I'm also extremely interested in this subject as I have a 98 cr250 with stock cable setup and aftermarket lever. The pull is not unbearable or anything, don't have hand problems, but I found the magura hydro clutch kit for $220 and plan to buy it asap this spring. I want to make it as buttery smooth as possible, and yes I just installed a new cable and lubed it as well...I believe I've discovered the best that a cable clutch will get and I've heard mixed things about the magura. Mostly I've heard great things from people who own it, and negative comments from people who do not, or have just had a single experience with one. They claim 30% less pull and that would justify the switch in my mind if it is true because not only is it less pull, but cable lubing, cleaning, and adjusting is a thing of the past also.

I ride 60% MX and 40% trails, and boy does my clutch get used on both, especially this past weekend in some brutal mountain trails. Again, stock isn't unbearable, but hydro would be a night/day difference in my mind.

Edited by BlackCR25098

Magura makes kits, I haven't heard great things about them.

now you have, they are great, they auto adjust, smoother and much more consistant pull

• Like 1

I have the moose easy pull on my 01 250 and its easily comparble ot the magura hydr clutch on my wr300. Mainly the pull is smoother on the wr but its almost the same pull on my cr with the easy pull.

Save the money and go the cheaper route would be my advice.

I have the moose easy pull on my 01 250 and its easily comparble ot the magura hydr clutch on my wr300. Mainly the pull is smoother on the wr but its almost the same pull on my cr with the easy pull.

Save the money and go the cheaper route would be my advice.

cables do not and never will self adjust and maintain consistency every time

Put a magura on my rm250 made a huge difference well worth it in my opinion have had it for a couple months now, not a problem with it. Install was easy works great.

Put a magura on my rm250 made a huge difference well worth it in my opinion have had it for a couple months now, not a problem with it. Install was easy works great.

Good this is what I like to see. I did some searching about the magura on cr250's and found a ton of great reviews. Back to being excited for ordering one this spring! :smirk:

Like I said in the 500 pics thread, I put a Gen 2 Magura on my 500AF and it is absolutely fantastic. Feels like maybe a third of the pull needed, no fade during your ride/moto and no problem getting the clutch pulled in if you're tired. The slave cylinder mounts in the same hole as the cable of course. Easier IMO to mount than a cable since you don't have to adjust it, well, other than the lever for where you want the clutch to engage. 12 out of 10!

IMG_0324_web.jpg

IMG_0322_web.jpg

Edited by HrcRacing27

I put a Magura on my 91 cr250, and loved it! Buttery smooth, one finger pull. When the cable on my 02 starts getting tough, I plan on putting one on there as well. Hydraulic lines can break, cables can break, be prepared either way :smirk: