Sign in to follow this  

Leaking fork seals

I have a 2010 kxf 450, the fork seals seem to leak regular, ive had them done 4 times in a year. I bleed the air out every ride, and after transporting etc. so excess air is not the problem. Any one else have this problem...............

Do you ride in mud a lot?

Your fork seals are actually two seals. An oil seal and a dust seal.

You can slide the dust seals down and clean the area behind them just like any other service on the bike. This could potentially extend the life of your oil seals (the ones that leak) since the debris getting between the oil seal and the fork leg is what is causing the leak as it gouges/tears the inside sealing lip of the oil seal.

that and hosing mud off regularly will help make them last longer. if you do that and use OEM seals and assemble everything correctly then that will give you the longest life.

of course you havent mentioned how much riding you are doing either so if you ride every day then you could be piling the hours on too.

i had a problem with seals leaking last summer, they might have had 7 hours on them. i slid the dust seals down and cleaned them as best i could with carb cleaner and compressed air. then i took a .005 or so feeler gage and slid in between the oil seal and fork leg and worked it around. DO THIS GENTLY! some oil will flow out, this will help flush the goop out also... after using the gage, wipe everything out real good and slide the dust seal back into position.then clean the fork leg off and wipe with wd40 or some other light oil. another thing, be very careful when power washing your forks, you can blast dirt and grit past the seals everywhere. :smirk:

Make sure your forks are properly aligned on axle,seems to be very critical on these bikes. My seals were seaping realigned tubes and axles leak gone. Follow directions in manual,i also will Take a very small screw driver and wedge in in the opening where it clamps the axle to make sure it floats and does not bind when im aligning them.

I've noticed this happening to my 2010. Coming off Honda's I rarely had any leaking seals (maybe twice in four years on honda). I've cleaned the dust seals and that helps, but I'm having to go to sanding. The lower fork tubes seem to get dings in them pretty easy and as we know it doesn't take much to bust a seal that way. Anyone else have this problem?

I use regular kyb oem seals in all my rebuilds, and never had one leak afterwards, unless the took a hit. When changing seals it is very important to carefully inspect the lower tube for nicks and dings. If you miss just one little ding the seals could leak. Another thing people don't think of is your seal driver can actually cause a scratch in the tube if it is not smooth and burr free. I have seen that happen.

If you miss just one little ding the seals could leak.
And what do I do if one day I find a ding??

You have to polish any high spots with fine sand paper or emery cloth. A slight depression usually won't leak but a high spot will. I have seen many dings in tubes from roost etc, as long as you polish the high spots you will be fine. When inspecting your tubes use your fingers to check because you can often feel a nick or burr that you can't see.