Sign in to follow this  

Training for GNCC race

I've been training for the Klotz Ironman GNCC race on October 24. Just wondering what you guys do to train on the bike.

I have been trying to ride for 90 minutes straight at race pace without stopping, then stopping for gas and a drink, followed by a casual trail ride for another hour. I've been trying to focus on consistent lap times (around 10 minutes where I ride) and keep breathing/heart rate under control.

I plan to hit the bicycle on some local trails during the next two weeks too, but my knees are telling me to rest. I don't want to overdo it.

Another issue is wear and tear on the race machine. The more I ride, the higher the chances of breaking something on the bike right before the race and not being able to fix it in time. I have another bike I could train on, but it is drastically different than the one I'll be racing on.

If I can do the 90 minutes straight, stop, and then go for another hour do you think that's enough for a 2hr race with traffic and unfamiliar trails?

This will be my second race. I raced the event last year and DNF because of mechanical problems. Had a blast though.

No. I trained on a 14 mile loop and did 2 laps non stop for the CanAm in NY and I needed to get to 3 loops. Oh well, next year. I spent 6 weekends doing this and I will train harder for next year. More longer rides, maybe in the 50 -60 mile range.

We have rode with a guy that runs top 10 in the open A class at GNCC's. He sudgested riding a longer track. (ours is roughly 10+ min laps at race speed, 15 for me, approx 8-10 mile laps) Make 2 laps and then run it backwards 2 laps before stopping. Changing direction really does change every thing. Our "practice track" is pretty much private, so we don't have any fear of running over anyone.

You've only got a few weeks left so I wouldn't ramp up your training to much right now. Your doing a lot more than most amatures already. Make sure you chill and rest up a few days before the race.

I think you'll be pretty good for a 2 hour race if you are consistently running 90 minutes, non-stop, now.

Don't slack off though. For me, when I get to where I can go an hour and a half nonstop every other day, I need to pick it up the week before the race. If the race is on Sunday I'll go two loops on Friday for a total of 3 hours at speed with a break for gas. I race enduros, not GNCC. Even that is not really enough, just enough to allow a finish with some dignity.

I hear you on the bike wearing out. You just got to keep up on it.

Endurance wise, I feel like I could train on the bike every other day, but my joints won't let me. Arthritus in my knees and tennis elbow say no way. I can usually go once a week and be close to 100% everytime i get on the bike. I'll be resting the 3-4 days before the race for sure - maybe a 12 mile bike ride/hike on the course on Friday before the race when they open it up.

I don't have a chance to ride the open style, 4-wheeler type fast trails that are seen in GNCC races as often as I'd like. I have noticed that the tight & rough single track I have access to at home is more taxing on the body. I seem to move the bike around alot more and I think it's more physically demanding.

Has anyone tried one of those 5 hr energy drinks? Not the monster/red bull/rockstar crap. Something with actual vitamins that won't make you shake and crash later. I had half of one once and felt pretty good, but have never ridden with it. I think it had B 12 or something. I was very productive and didn't get tired working, but didn't feel any different. Looking for your experiences.

The single track is definately more demanding. We have a 20 mile loop here that takes an hour and a half to get through.

I feel out of my element when the trail opens up. I've also tuned my suspension to work better on the tight slow stuff.

The race this weekend had several wide open stretches across fields. I'd catch or pass people in the woods only to have 3 or 4 come past me in the fields at what I thought were really unreasonable speeds.

Fortunatley at 47 there is a class for old slow guys.

Can't tell you anything about the energy drinks. If it sounds too good to be true......

You could mix your bike training with some stamina training. Did anyone here ever try Bodypump?

I did the ironman in 08. Could not believe the number of spectators! Might go again this year.

As for training, allways plenty of opinions. I used to do only long distance cardio training. Running and road bike mainly. Worked ok. But then after watching the infomercial for p90x at 2am I gave it a try. Its a 90 day program I started 90 days before the Baja 1000 last year. Finished 4th solo bike at 52. It works.

I am now a believer that having a stronger core is key. You won't get that without specific exercises. Also by building up all the muscles in your bod not just the ones you think you use on a bike you end up a better athlete which will pay off on the motorcycle. Push ups, pull ups, squats. That works.