Sign in to follow this  

pw50 throttle cable replacement

I picked up a throttle cable for my pw50. However, all I got was the first part, from the throttle housing to the split. I went to change it last night and I dont know how I am supposed to seperate the cables there. I dont want to mess anything just yankin on it, or prying the boot off to see whats going on?

I am doing away with the injector pump, and I read a little about a single cable throttle cable, but I dont know where to get one and were leaving for a trip on thursday 10/14, so I need to get this figured out status.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by krook250

maybe some pictures will entice someone to help me out.

the cable with the barbell you can see is the new cable.

IMG_0321.jpg

I dont want to just pry at that boot, it's hardned up, but I dont have the time for me to mess it up since I'm leaving thursday.

yeah, i found a good thread on dirtrider.net. I just wanted to make sure before I went messing things up.

Just an update for anybody looking in the future.

If your just trying to replace the front part the cable, from the throttle housing to the split, you have to remove the cable from the oil pump and the carb. That will give you enough slack to get the white plastic collar out to the front of the tube. Separate the the oil pump and carb cables, attach to the new throttle cable, resemble all of it and let her go.

I went through all of this to get the bike ready for a camp trip to let my 3 year old start riding. After one quick whiskey throttle, he was done. I was rebuilding the motor at the same time, took the gasket kit with me to the camp trip, and the damn kids threw it in the fire. So I reused the base gasket and the head gasket is metal, so if survived the fire. But the exhaust o-ring was gone.

So even with the throttle stop screw, having it out far enough to give it enough go, once it got on the top, it zoomed and was a bit much for the little guy. fresh motor, with fresh bore, the bike is running good.