Sign in to follow this  

Wiring Key to Killswitch. (TTR50)

I need to know how to get rid of the key all together and just have the killswitch to turn the bike on and off, without draining my battery.

Edited by Zakrad_u

I have to ask, why? The kill switch is a safety device, like an E-stop on industrial equipment. Imagine little Johnny tips the bike over and has the rear tire spinning on his leg. A well meaning neighbor runs over and either a) hits the red button shutting everything down or 😏 struggles to extract Johnny from a running bike or vise versa because he doesn't know where the key is.

I have to ask, why? The kill switch is a safety device, like an E-stop on industrial equipment. Imagine little Johnny tips the bike over and has the rear tire spinning on his leg. A well meaning neighbor runs over and either a) hits the red button shutting everything down or 😏 struggles to extract Johnny from a running bike or vise versa because he doesn't know where the key is.

Ya.... why on earth would you want to remove a kill switch?

Read the post. Not removing the kill switch. Making the kill switch a "key" eliminating the existing key.

Sorry, that's how I read this.

1. Remove / Disconnect the key switch.

2. Replace it with a jumper wire.

This wont drain my battery?

... Technically not having akillswitch.
Read the post. Not removing the kill switch.

I read the post quite a few times. I obviously didn't understand the question, sorry.

Is there a way I can wire my key to my killswitch and not have a key. Technically not having akillswitch.

I still don't understand the question.

You want to wire your key to your kill switch? Do you mean you want to wire your key switch to your kill switch, so that you don't need a key?

I could probably help you. I've worked on bikes for a long time. But I don't really understand the question or perhaps don't understand what you're getting at.

You have a key, a key switch and a kill switch. You want to remove the key? So you technically don't have a kill switch? What are you trying to get rid of, the key, the key switch or the kill switch?

On my bikes, the key switch *IS* simply another kill switch. It's wired the same way and works electrically the same way. A kill switch shorts the coil so that a spark can't be produced in the sparkplug. The key switch does the same thing. Turn the key "off" really turns the circuit "on", or electrically closes the circuit, createing the short, preventing the spark from being produced.

Read the post. Not removing the kill switch. Making the kill switch a "key" eliminating the existing key.

Making the kill switch a "key"? What does that mean? The key switch is a constant switch, either open or closed depending on the position of the key. The kill switch is a momentary switch, only closed while pressed.

Edited by markgoodall

He wants to eliminate the key switch and just use the handlebar-mounted kill switch to turn the bike on and off.

Wow, I sure didn't interpret that from his question:

Is there a way I can wire my key to my killswitch and not have a key. Technically not having akillswitch.

Wow, I sure didn't interpret that from his question:

Ok well other people could understand it.

Just need to clarify that only having a killswitch with a jumper on the key wires wont drain my batttery?

Ok well other people could understand it.

Actually, no. I guessed wrong the first time, then modified my answer. Your original post actually stated your intent both ways.

Just need to clarify that only having a killswitch with a jumper on the key wires wont drain my batttery?

See the attached the TT-R50 schematic, above. If you leave your kill switch in the RUN position, the CDI will draw power and run the battery down.

If you leave your kill switch in the KILL / OFF position, it interrupts the exact same circuit as the key switch.