Kickstand review for CRF150RB

I used to be the total 'save every penny and do everything yourself' kind of guy. Then I got married (which is awesome), and I just don't have time to screw with crap. Now I'm the "buy the best one first" type, so I don't have to do things twice. So, with my wife's blessing, I bought a brand new leftover CRF150F instead of a used one. 😏 (It helped that the local shop was unloading them below cost.) I'm used to a kickstand because of my WR205F, so I searched on here and got what seemed to be the best kickstand for my CRF150F, the ProMoto Billet (Pro Moto Billet, or PMB, for the searchers). Everybody raved about it. Here's my experience.

The machining finish is very nice.

The Design looks very good. It's a little on the heavy side, but other than that, clean looking.

Unfortunately, it's a piece of crap. And their service was just as bad. Oops. Sorry for the spoiler. It didn't install easily, and it did not work after being installed.

Installation took an excessively long time, when it should have taken less than five minutes with half of it getting tools and putting them away. Why did it take too long? The bolt holes didn't line up properly. The lower hole needs a spacer, and they provided one that had the hole drilled in it off-center. I'd presume that's for adjustability, or to allow for tolerance stackup. Unfortunately, something wasn't within tolerance, and that hole was too small for how poor the alignment was. It took over five minutes just to get the bolt started and not cross-threaded. Then, to get the bolt in, I'd have to turn it 1/2 turn in, then back out 1/4 turn so the spacer would unwind. Over. And over. And Over. And not just quick turns, painstakingly slow turns, in and out, cutting threads into the spacer with the bolt because of the binding.

Ok, so I can tolerate a little pain in the butt on installation. I'm not going to be taking it off very often, if ever. And it works well....well, ok, it works well in my garage. But the base is too close to the center of the bike, so if the dirt is soft or in the least bit not level, it does not hold. This is a pit-only stand. I'd suspect any desert rider would be cursing it every time they had to search for a support rock, or push the bike to find a hard level surface to get it to hold up. Heck, it almost fell over on me in the groomed hardpack pits!

Ok, so I can tolerate the stand being mediocre when it comes to stability. This is my track bike (can you tell I'm a fat ol' man, putting a kickstand on a track bike???), and I'm only using it in a groomed pit. But, it'll still serve it's purpose. I was disappointed that the stand hits the number plate so hard when it's up, pushing the plate out. I can take it, though. It works well enough, and doesn't get in the way on the track. Or does it?

Yes, it does get in the way on the track. And anywhere else you might see your swingarm move. The darnmed thing hits the swingarm, and now I've got scratches in my brand new never crashed swingarm. (Yes, it hits the swingarm despite slamming in to the number plate every time you kick it up!) And yes, I double-checked to make sure it was not loose, and ensured it was positively installed with full contact on both mounting points. There is no way this stand can be used on my brand new bike without modifying the bike or the stand.

Alright, now I'm disappointed. I paid an extra $50 to get what was supposed to be the top of the line, and it's unusable. So I email them and tell them about it, and ask what they'll do. They did not respond. I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to mistakes, if a company owns up to it and makes it right. PMB didn't even write me back.

Score Card (scale 1-10):

Looks: 9 (doesn't look perfect, but darned near)

Design: 8 (It should be a little lighter)

Function: 5 (not stable for off-road use, but fine for pits)

Installation:3 (PITA!)

Fit: 0 (unusable)

Customer Service: 0 (non responsive)

Bottom line: I've got a pretty piece of aluminum scrap in my garage. And I had to wait 2 days before it shipped, so this was from a fresh, recent production run. Which means that if anybody else orders one they have no reason to expect better. I'll probably try to file it down to fit, if I ever have time. In the meantime, my beautiful wife runs to me with my stand every time I return to the pits. 😛

um wrong bike post says CRF150RB not L/F

Did you read the part where I wrote "fab"? Obviously it's a CRF150RB and the bike is the picture is a CR85 modded to fit a CRF100 (built) motor. The point is the KX85/100 big wheel was the only 16/19 bike to come stock with a kick stand. If you weld on a piece of 3/16" steel with two threaded holes, the kick stand will work perfect. The 150R has a perfect spot to weld it on right behind and slightly above the foot peg. What's nice is the bracket can un-bolt and it's only about $60 for everything: stand, mount (bracket), sparring, bolts. So if you or someone you know can weld, this will work great. I'm building a dual sport CRF150RB and I going to put one of these on it.

Newly married? Good for you. Big congrats.

Would have helped your review if photo was included of stand / bike being reviewed. I'd like to see how upright the bike is on the stand. But thanks for the detailed info in any case.

Wow, I got a Promoto kickstand for my 450. I love it. Went on like a dream. Now it does keep the bike pretty upright, so that is the thing I don't like about it.

Am looking for a stand for my new 150 RB. Glad I read the review here. Will have to give it more thought about which one to get.

As far a no reply from the company? Get used to it. Declining standards accross the board in the US of a.

Newly married? Good for you. Big congrats.

Would have helped your review if photo was included of stand / bike being reviewed. I'd like to see how upright the bike is on the stand. But thanks for the detailed info in any case.

Wow, I got a Promoto kickstand for my 450. I love it. Went on like a dream. Now it does keep the bike pretty upright, so that is the thing I don't like about it.

Am looking for a stand for my new 150 RB. Glad I read the review here. Will have to give it more thought about which one to get.

As far a no reply from the company? Get used to it. Declining standards accross the board in the US of a.

PIC of it installed??? I loaded my bike in the truck and saw the scratched swing arm! I threw the kickstand into the garage and went riding. Since I feel compelled to give a company a chance to fix mistakes, I waited to write this until I gave them a chance to fix it...which they didn't. So no, I'm not going to put the thing back on just to take a pic.

As for declining standards, well, that's basically how I choose stores these days. Screw the price, I need my toys to work right the first time! I barely have time to play, and would rather watch a movie with my wife than turn wrenches. I did plenty of that in my 20's, and since I didn't get to meet wifey until my mid 30's, and I'm over the wrenching (even though I used to like it). I got lots of wife time to catch up on 😏 .

My company gives the best customer service in its industry, and I aim to buy my toys from those who have the same standards.

PIC of it installed??? I loaded my bike in the truck and saw the scratched swing arm! I threw the kickstand into the garage and went riding. Since I feel compelled to give a company a chance to fix mistakes, I waited to write this until I gave them a chance to fix it...which they didn't. So no, I'm not going to put the thing back on just to take a pic.

As for declining standards, well, that's basically how I choose stores these days. Screw the price, I need my toys to work right the first time! I barely have time to play, and would rather watch a movie with my wife than turn wrenches. I did plenty of that in my 20's, and since I didn't get to meet wifey until my mid 30's, and I'm over the wrenching (even though I used to like it). I got lots of wife time to catch up on 😏 .

My company gives the best customer service in its industry, and I aim to buy my toys from those who have the same standards.

I was just going to say ... check the swingarm for WEAR from the Promoto kickstand. Had one on my wife's bike and it did quite a number on it.

Switched immediately to the Trailtech version ... much better.:excuseme:

I know your frustration after experiencing it first hand as well.

This is with the Promoto ... BEFORE the change.

I'll try to get one up later with the Trailtech.

*** I don't recommend this one unless they have 100% resolved the swingarm rubbing issue. This was a brand new bike built up, and I noticed the rubbing on the "old bike" (same model) that it was removed from.

P1010815.jpg

This is with the Promoto ... BEFORE the change.

I'll try to get one up later with the Trailtech.

*** I don't recommend this one unless they have 100% resolved the swingarm rubbing issue. This was a brand new bike built up, and I noticed the rubbing on the "old bike" (same model) that it was removed from.

P1010815.jpg

Wow, very nice setup.

Were you satisfied with the stand in use as far as the bike being upright?

Also do not understand the 'old vs new' issue. Why the difference?

Thanks

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

well this really sucks. My daughter is going to start riding trails this year so I think I'm going to need to put a kick stand on my bike to make things a little easier. It would be nice to be able to flop down a kick stand when she needs help.

I rode with a buddy last week and he just put on a pro moto billet stand on his YZF450 and absolutely loves it. Not to mention the thing looks sweet. But I'm not paying $150 for something that's going to trash my swing arm. I guess I will shop for other brands.

Anyone have a picture of what the trail tech looks like in the folded up position? Does it tuck in behind the side plate like the pro moto billet?

I left the bolt spacer out, and milled about 1/8" off of the whole kickstand inner face, and it works now. Mine was a very poor fit, to require milling to use. It smacks the number plate loudly every time you kick it up, but I can deal with that.