My review of the VORTEX X-10

This is for anyone who wants to know what the settings are like on the vortex x-10.

I got my x10 on and was out riding all weekend June 28 - July 1. I played with every setting. I spent 4 days doing track and trail riding.

I also put an M4 pipe on so it is hard to test just the ignition.

Here is what I and my friend found. He is more experienced than I am, racing for 20 years. The following were the agreed conclusions we found doing test runs on all the setting on the track(mix of crushed gravel and sand) and in the trails(bog, mud, hard pack, roads, HUGE HILL, rivers, and A LOT OF technical ROCK RIDING).

Setting 1(MX) - good on flat open dirt road trails, ok on the track but nothing major. Give a bit more power on the upper end over stock, but you are going to playing the clutch to blast out of corners.

Setting 2(SX) - again good on dirt roads, a little better on track than setting 1.

Setting 3-4(Traction 1-2) - This is nice if you are in some mucky conditions or want some grunt to do hill climbs(I tactored up a 300 foot 50degree pitch hill like it wasn't there. No clutching. I couldn't do it in Setting 1)

Setting 5 - This is a great setting for technical trails. I hit one trail that is a mix of bog, mud, hard pack dirt road, and A LOT of technical rock riding. This setting really makes the hit smooth and manageable. Wasn't impressed with the track I was on in this setting.

Setting 6(MX2)- Increased snap coming out of corners on the track. I would not use this setting for tight trail riding. It would tire you out fighting the hit.

Setting 7(SX2) - WOW! :D This is my favorite on the track. It will help blast you out of corners that have short distances coming into jumps. I did one particular lap where I came out of a sharp left on to a table top. I hit the gas in 2nd gear about 3/4 throttle like I normaly would. I cleared the table top(50 feet). I never cleared that table top when the bike was stock hitting as I just described. The bike just blasted out of the corner. It really freaked me out because I wasn't ready for it, but it was some cool when I landed it and took off into a straight whoop section.

THIS IS NOT A TRAIL SETTING!!!

Setting 8-9(Traction 3-4) - These two are really good for pulling in soft dirt and hill climbs. The power delivery to the rear tire is smooth and just hooks up. If you want to get a hole shot, set this as setting 2 and then flip up to MX1 once you are into the race.

I took this in the bogs that we were riding through. Man I was throwin' mud about 20 feet in the air. ? Buddy behind me didn't appreciate it too much. hahaha

Also there was a section of the track where you hit whoops and then have to brake at the end of them to hit a sharp right that is all soft sand. I hit the gas hard right at the apex of the turn and the bike just literally sling shoted out of the corner. What a great feeling being laid over like that and the bike fires out like it was shot from a gun.

Setting 0 (trail 2) - I didn't play with this too much so I can't really give an honest review of it. It is probably similar to trail 1 but with a bit more grunt and hit.

I hope this helps anyone who is trying to figure out what the settings are like.

:D

The differences were not huge. Sometimes I thought it might have just been in my head. That is why I had my riding partner, a very experienced rider, test it out too. The steps between each setting is subtle, but when you start comparing settings like 1,2,or 3 to the upper settings it does become noticable.

I am going to test it out again with the stock pipe this weekend and write a comparision with the vortex on a stock bike.

I will tell you this. There is a SIGNIFICANT difference with the vortex over the stock ignition, and that is not in my head.

Like I posted above,

Did you notice an exhaust tone change?

I also like setting 4 & 9. It makes the bike alittle on the sedate side but,hooks up really well and still responds

better than stock.

Trail settings are also sedate and alot like the stock ignition,but still alittle better than stock.

I run setting 4 or 9 in the morning,then the SX-7 or MX-2

Alot of these curves has to do most with throttle opening and how much fuel,If I understood R-Rohrich right.

Some of these settings (seems to me)revs further than other's according my my Pant Dyno. :D

Have Fun.

Oh by the way,,I'm still running stock gearing.

?

• 4 months later...

yzrider, the cdi box has a selector dial which you adjust with a small bladed screw driver, the eyeglass type works perfect for this. You adjust the cdi dial to which ever desired mapping you want. Once this is done, the selector switch, that is on the handle bar, will now have your selected setting in the down position. The up position is always the same, a MX setting, which actually seems very close to the old stock cdi, but better.

• 6 months later...

Yeah, thanks for the review. I for one will really be interested in your test with the stock pipe.f

Does anyone know if they went back to the "old" mapping on the votex? I seem to remember some time back that someone got a new vortex, couldn't tell much of a difference between the settings, contacted the factory, and they sent him a new one with the old mappings that he could distinguish between the settings with. Just curious if yours is the new or old mappings.

This post is really old, 07/2003. At the time of the post I was not considering to buy one. I have had mine though going on 11 months I guess, going from the date of the post. I like it quite a bit. It gives me some advantages sine I ride some desert and some MX. It is kind of expensive and may not be suited for everyone. I have heard, and I do not know this for sure, so you would have to confirm with MTRacing, that they are no longer putting as many traction and MX setting as they had in the past. I heard the settings are more SX. Don't hold me to this though

P.S. I guess that if you change your signature it goes back to all of you previous posts and updates them as well. At the time of the original post in 07/2003, I did not have the Vortex, or half the stuff that is in my signature now

• 2 years later...

Hey guys. This is a really old post I'm bringing back to life....but it's cause I actually did a search! I have one question. The reason for my search was that I just got an 06 with an x10 ignition. I was looking for what each # does when you select it on the x10 box.

My question is that are the curves still the same on my 06 box as what is described in this post. I also looked up vortex website and couldn't find any info.

Thanks for the help.

BFS

FYI the latest maps are as follows:

1 - Best overall power

2,3,4,5 - Traction

6,7 - Aggressive Power

8 - Vortex 2004 WR250F Map

9 - Std '05 YZ250F Map & Cam Timing

10 - Std 03 WR250F

All maps have rev limit increased to 13,600rpm