Zrxers' tt600

oh yeah forgot, nice bikes fellars.

I had a 83 Tenere from new rode it every where, 1600km trips no worries, beachs, enduro/ desert racing in the pilbar, 300km trips to colledge, had a ball but sold it in 87, still regret it.

hi, a question guys, this "webcam" cam suppliers you all talk about?

When I google webcam, all I get is computer crap.

Another thing, Ive never seen those twin leading shoe front brakes you guys have on your tt600's, (must be a USA thing?) are they any good. I'm thinking of ebaying one to replace my tt250's single lever one

Here ya go. http://www.webcamshafts.com/

As far as the double-leading shoe drum brakes on our TT600s, they work quite well. I know a lot of guys upgrade to a disc system but for the type of riding I do with the bike, the shoes work just fine.

Of course I'm not racing or doing much high speed with it, mainly woods trails and logging roads where speeds rarely exceed 40-50 MPH.

Choise thanks for that fellars, more info to look into.

I have an 81 IT175 parts bike in the shed & the front hub looks nearly identical to my TT250's even the speedo drive, I reckon the TT600 Front brake will interchange (I'll let you know when I do it).

If you say the TT600's double front leading shoe brake works quite well on your bigger heavier more powerfull bike, it should work really well on a little 250.

By the way, 50mph is about 80kmph, I wouldnt want to run into a tree at that speed, glad to hear you take it easy.

Thanks again for the tip.

Thanks for the reponse on the other thread

I wonder how they would work on the XT600

How did they work on any of the TT600

the EX250 Ninja carbs is what i am talking about

I would like to get my 1986 XT600 running better

It just seems to be turning more and more into a slug

The stock carbs work pretty good on these things especially on a stock engine. Have you pulled them off to see if there's any crap in the bowl or jets? Make sure the secondary slide moves freely up and down in the bore.

Another thing to check is the timing. The CDI controls the timing on these bikes and when they go south so does your timing advance. Makes them feel like a slug big time.

Back to my carb thing. I tried the Grizzly 600 2 into 1 intake. Bolted up just fine but absolutely no room for the carb. I had a 38 Mikuni flatslide I was using as a test fit but no dice. A single carb just won't work without fab work and as I said earlier, I'm not gonna change anything on the bike.

Bergman, I guess I'll go your route and set up the stockers as best I can.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Okay, I'm not really into tearing this engine all the way down to repair the main bearings right now but I do want to start riding this bike now. So, I have a complete XT engine that's been sitting on the shelf for a number of years--it spins over nice, shifts through the gears just fine and the main bearings don't appear to have any play.

Started pulling the bike apart but didn't get very far as my lower back was giving me a bad time.

XT600 engine.

DSC02385_zps40da7d16.jpg

A few pics of the bike--just because.

DSC02384_zps68dda15f.jpg

DSC02386_zps005a9a84.jpg

DSC02387_zps38393093.jpg

Got the XT engine installed.

DSC02388_zps792b0b57.jpg

I found out something I wasn't aware of--the TT and XT flywheels (rotors) are different.

TT:

DSC02393_zpsefe12376.jpg

XT:

DSC02390_zps8aa8a116.jpg

TT stator top, XT bottom.

DSC02392_zps5ff316da.jpg

Hopefully have this thing running today.

Good luck!!  Do you have the xt 600 cdi unit too?? BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ed. I don't have the XT cdi but everything (except the charge wires) plug right in and it has excellent spark.

Unfortunately it won't be running today. In my haste to get everything together, I overlooked an exhaust stud hole that evidently had a broken stud at one time and someone tried to repair it with dismal results. So.....I'm going to order some top end gaskets and swap over the hot rod top end from the original engine.

If the gaskets get here in time I'll get back on it next weekend.

Thanks Ed. I don't have the XT cdi but everything (except the charge wires) plug right in and it has excellent spark.

Unfortunately it won't be running today. In my haste to get everything together, I overlooked an exhaust stud hole that evidently had a broken stud at one time and someone tried to repair it with dismal results. So.....I'm going to order some top end gaskets and swap over the hot rod top end from the original engine.

If the gaskets get here in time I'll get back on it next weekend.

With the hot-rod top end will you be able to do wheelies in all the gears?? Ha Ha Ha!!!

don't worry,they were slugs  when new and ALLWAYS will be

Well, I could have saved some wasted time and aggravation if I would have just pulled the original bottom end apart and repaired the crank.

Started pulling the top end off the XT engine and broke a head bolt off in the cylinder--no biggie, I'm not using it anyway. Removed the head and started on the cylinder. Began with the small 5 or 6mm allen bolts on the cam chain side and they both broke off in the main case. So at this point, not even swearing or anything, I quietly picked up my tools and pushed the bike back into its resting place. ?

I'm going to go ahead and repair the original bottom end now. lol. My machinest has a rebuilt crank ready to go with a Carillo rod he's been trying to get me to buy so I guess it's time. ?

With the hot-rod top end will you be able to do wheelies in all the gears?? Ha Ha Ha!!!

My 600s wheelie-ability improved dramatically when I disconnected and/or capped as many of the twin carbs extraneous vacuum hoses as I could..

I remember taking it for a test drive expecting some improvement since I knew there'd be more vacuum pulling on the jetting-but it just about went over backwards on me when I gave it the same amount of throttle as I was used to doing!

Looking at the photos in this thread I'd say the air cleaner needs to be de-restricted anyway you can and switch to a K&N or some other high flowing air filter