Sign in to follow this  

major engine failure

Has anyone else had their engine fail? 2009 DR650 with approximately 12,500 miles. Not sure what happened yet. The dealer is working with Suzuki to see if it is a warranty repair. So far all I know is that there is a hole in the case near the starter and they told me there was a "major failure". I won't know more until Tuesday.

I was riding along the road in 3rd gear (I think) when, all of a sudden, there was a grinding in the engine/transmission and the back wheel locked up. I pulled the clutch in and skidded to a stop. I tried to shift the bike into neutral but it was stuck in gear. The engine would not turn over at all. I was able to push the bike with the clutch in but there was a clunking noise as the wheel/chain turned.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Thanks.

You were probably in third gear .... seems like there have been many posts on the subject is some of the forums. It seems that Suzuki has a hit-or-miss problem with third gears in the DR-650's. And i guess from what some of the people are saying, Suzuki doesn't want to admit it. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. that's was my guess since third is used for third, fourth and fifth. i thought they supposedly fixed that issue with the newer ones. guess i will have to wait and see.

For all of the DR650s on the road or in the bush, the few that have had a problem doesn't mean the majority are susceptible.

Good fortune of still having your warrenty . I hope you are riding soon . My 2007 DR650 just turned 8000 miles and the only major problem I had was my starter .

The OP did say "3rd gear (I think)"......might not have been.

I'm sure I was in 2nd when mine went which made me think selector fork...

yes, unfortunately in the same boat.

2009 model with 36 7_ _km on the clock.

mine was a 5th gear explosion which destroyed everything, except the head... was in 3rd at the time tough...

had done all the servicing etc myself, so suzuki's best offer was 50% dealer prices for the parts.

managed to find another dr (01) and am in the process of completely overhauling that motor to fit it into my dr.

got a bike of spares, already reduced to a box.

had done all the servicing etc myself, so suzuki's best offer was 50% dealer prices for the parts.

What a crock. I didn't think that was legal. Dodge tried stuff like that with their ATF +4 transmission fluids that no one else could make, forcing everyone to take their vehicles to Dodge and pay dealer cost for a scheduled transmission service. Courts took care of that, and forced Dodge to approve aftermarket ATF +4 transmission fluids.

Short story: The dealer can't force you to have them do all service as a condition of the warranty. Unless they can show evidence that you DIDN'T do the proper servicing, they need to honor the warranty.

Is that why they call then stealerships?

Short story: The dealer can't force you to have them do all service as a condition of the warranty. Unless they can show evidence that you DIDN'T do the proper servicing, they need to honor the warranty.

That may be the case in the US thanks to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (I think that's what it called) but in other countries it's mandatory to have the services performed at a manufacturer approved repair center in order to retain the warranty.

Thanks, Lukas. I keep forgetting that this is a worldwide forum. Good to know. I just remembered a memo that I got from a fellow Dodge owner that explained Dodge's position on the ATF issue. I guess every once in a while the US Congress does something right. Not very often, but sometimes.

so, bought another non running dr for spares, barrel and engine casings

sold some of the parts i don't need, had the motor rebuilt with the 50% discount on parts suzuki gave me

had the motor gas flowed and balanced too.

total cost R13 000 or US$1 850 incl labor

suzuki wanted R23 000 or US$3 285 for parts alone (new casings, barrel piston, bearings etc etc) excl labor.....

bike's got 900km since rebuild and all looks good so far.

going to have it dyno tuned after 1000km and a major service.

running a TM40, free flow pipe, cut airbox, standard air filter.

will post a copy of the dyno graph.

Edited by Ganjora
type like a twat.

Well I am going to post an update although there isnt anything new in my case. I finally was able to squeeze a bit more information out of the dealer as to what happened. Sorry this won't be a good description: It seems that the shifter rod broke and contacted the rod, the rod was bent, internals destroyed, hole in the engine case. The dealer told me last week that they have some parts but are still waiting for parts that are on backorder and this is going back to mid October (3 months). I tried not to push the issue for fear that the result would be worse service, so now I am stuck waiting for the bike. As long as it is fixed properly I guess I will be happy. The parts and labor are still going to be covered under warranty as far as I know.

Might have been better to be out of warranty?

1) buy another second hand DR, you have 15 years of bikes to pick from

2) clear a few hours

3) swap engine over

4) 👍

5) optional: sell remaining parts and end up about even

Well I am going to post an update although there isnt anything new in my case. I finally was able to squeeze a bit more information out of the dealer as to what happened. Sorry this won't be a good description: It seems that the shifter rod broke and contacted the rod, the rod was bent, internals destroyed, hole in the engine case. The dealer told me last week that they have some parts but are still waiting for parts that are on backorder and this is going back to mid October (3 months). I tried not to push the issue for fear that the result would be worse service, so now I am stuck waiting for the bike. As long as it is fixed properly I guess I will be happy. The parts and labor are still going to be covered under warranty as far as I know.

Wonder if 3rd drive gear is in a handful of pieces?

Might have been better to be out of warranty?

1) buy another second hand DR, you have 15 years of bikes to pick from

2) clear a few hours

3) swap engine over

4) :smirk:

5) optional: sell remaining parts and end up about even

I don't think a rolling frame would bring in that much money. Just adding it up for what all the parts would be wroth minus the motor and i can only come up with like a thousand bucks. One that runs with a good motor is going to cost at least 3 grand. So if the motor blows I'm thinking it would cost 2 grand minimum to get out of the woods with a running motor. Then you got the hassle of swapping out the motors and selling all the left overs off.

Bottom line...Suzuki should be doing a re-call on these bikes.

One that runs with a good motor is going to cost at least 3 grand.

Bottom line...Suzuki should be doing a re-call on these bikes.

Sorry but what are you on? your saying a 1996-2000 model is going to cost >$3000? :smirk:

You can pick up a decent bike for under $1000. Sell the rims, harness, starter motor, plastics, fuel tank, forks, shock, swingarm and dump the rest and you'll recoup most if not more on the original price

As for swapping the engine over that takes the best part of what 3 hours? i've not done it myself but having a look it seems you disconnect carb, remove chain from front sprocket, remove pegs and levers, disconnect clutch, remove the engine mount bolts and slide it out. Piece of piss

3k?????

I gave 2k for mine and once I got it home and clean, I thought I paid way too much. Lots of little issues. One should be able to find them all day long for 2 if one looks hard enough.

Calling for a recall seems a bit overboard. A hand full of blowed up bikes over 15 years is hardly enough got get excited over. Sure it sucks if yours blew but the grenades are by far the minority. The base gaskets were an issue but not much ever seems to be said.

Bullittman

Depending on what state you're in there may be a lemon law that "might" help you get the bike replaced. At this point I'd certainly contact Suzuki directly about it. NO way should you be without you bike anywhere near that long. I would have pushed hard for a replacement engine from day one.

dyno not 100% accurate, new knobbies on the bike so apparently around 10% lower reading.

dr650.jpg