1997 RM 250 Lighting

Hey everyone I own a 97 Rm 250 and would like to get it wired up for headlight, brake light, blinkers... pretty much for night riding and possibly street legal it for some trails that require driving through towns for a couple miles. Anyways is there anyone who has done this to an rm250 before? If so what stator and lighting coil was used to power everything, I just got this bike and I'm pretty sure the stator will have to be changed out. I work for Scott and Acerbis so I have the headlight(12V 35/35 watt) and brake light.

If there's anyone who could help me out on the electrical part and maybe some tips that would be kick a**.

Thanks

I am not sure if either of these companies make stators for our bikes (I have a 98) but you are more than welcome to check them out:

RickyStator.com

TrailTech.com

Ricky Stator offers a 30w lighting coil with their RM stators and I don't feel that it is enough wattage to run everything that it would take to make your bike street legal. I also had a bad experience with one recently--hopefully it was just a fluke...

I spoke with Stealthy http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/lighting/lighting-coils/suzuki-lighting-coils/suzuki-rm-125-04-08-rm-250-94-97-lighting-coil.html today and they offer a UK made stator with a 60w lighting coil that seems to get good reviews. I may go this route very soon :smirk:

Other than that I don't know of any more options for your bike. I just wish the E-line's were still out there as they pump out major wattage :excuseme:

Stealhy does offer a head/tail light kit which plugs into the power jet circuit, if you have one. Don't expect to ride at night though it would be passable for street legalization in most states.

I have one of those stators, its shit dont buy one.

Care to elaborate? I'm pissed off enough at stators right now that I'm thinking about ditching RM's altogether or spending big bucks on a Suzuki stator without a lighting coil...

Care to elaborate? I'm pissed off enough at stators right now that I'm thinking about ditching RM's altogether or spending big bucks on a Suzuki stator without a lighting coil...

One word - Unreliable.

In england suzuki sold 50 limited edition road legal RM250 in 2007, my bike is one of these. They came with all the road legal bits including one of the lighting stators. The original lighting stator broke in less than 10 hours which was replaced which was faulty and never worked. I sent the second one back and they claimed there was no fault, well the bike runs perfectly with a standard stator and does not spark with the lighting stator so how can that not be a fault!!!!

My bike currently has the lights tapped into the waste voltage from the standard MX stator and the luights are just as good as with the lighting stator plus the fact I have the peace of mind I am using a genuine suzuki part.

^ That sucks, but thanks for the info I appreciate it :excuseme:

oh man, this makes me pretty excited

I'm not a big dirt bike rider, and old enough to know better, but the kid in me loves a raw 2-stroke MX bike on the street

I am also trying to figure out a way to run lights, a tail, and brake light on my 1998 RM125

does anyone know if the RMX250 lighting coil from any of the years will fit on an RM125 or RM250?

One word - Unreliable.

In england suzuki sold 50 limited edition road legal RM250 in 2007, my bike is one of these. They came with all the road legal bits including one of the lighting stators. The original lighting stator broke in less than 10 hours which was replaced which was faulty and never worked. I sent the second one back and they claimed there was no fault, well the bike runs perfectly with a standard stator and does not spark with the lighting stator so how can that not be a fault!!!!

My bike currently has the lights tapped into the waste voltage from the standard MX stator and the luights are just as good as with the lighting stator plus the fact I have the peace of mind I am using a genuine suzuki part.

Tell us more about this way of getting lights. Many of us would like to add lights on our RM's

here's another suggestion: does your 1997 rm250 have an electronic power jet in the carburetor?

the 99-00 rm125 stators have 2 extra wires coming off that presumably run the electronic power jet in the carburetor. The 96-98 models do not. So by running the 99-00 stator in the 96-98 RM125's, you actually get a couple extra wires that can be used to power lights.

can anyone comment on if this would work?