Vet MXing a FX 450 Berg?

Hey all, I'm a 47 yr old Mxer returning to dirt after 2 1/2 yrs. I've got rods in my back from an accident and my finishing in front days most likely are over. I'm just out to have some fun racing with my buds again. I recently dusted off my 06 KX450 and entered a couple of mx races, finished towards the back of the pack but had a blast anyway. I'm looking to get a F.I. bike and maybe something a little different. After some research I came across the Husaberg FX450. Now I know this isn't designed as an MX bike, but it sure looks sweet and sounds as if it has nice usable power. If I buy a 2010 it comes with some after market goodies, mainly suspension work.. A friend of mine moto's a CR450X (with suspension and exhaust mods) and loves it, as a matter of fact he won a vet 50 mx class last weekend. Have any of you MX'd the FX450? and what are your opinions? I'd be doing some play riding as well. I'm 6'4" and 225 lbs, will I be able to fit bar risers and does anyone make a taller seat? Thanks for any input/advice, Happy riding :excuseme:

The bike actually is designed for GNCC type racing and "hobby motocross". I always read the REM race reports on the MXA site and they have a 50 + class rider, I think his name is George Kohler, who loves the Berg FX 450. They say its his first choice to race.

Like rj133 said the bike was never really designed to race MX but I could see it. I really enjoy my bike and will probably take it to the local MX track to play around once the suspenion is properly set up for my weight.

Thanks guys, I'm just looking for a fun bike to ride and basically "Hobby MX" for fun. I just don't want to be out horse powered but was hoping with the suspension work and a pipe this bike would be competitive in ole guy MX ; ) "Most" of the guys in the vet mx class around here, or the guys I'm able to race with anyway, aren't riding their 450F's any wear near what the A, and B MXer's are..

Any info on tall guy set up?, I've read it can be cramped for taller riders and am hoping with bar risers(will standard one's work?) and a taller seat (is one available?) that would solve these issues.. I went with the KX as it fit a tall guy pretty well and at that time sold my old YZ426 and never looked back.

Are Sprockets and Brake pads fairly standard as far as getting for the Berg? Are there any maintenance issues that are a pain?

Thanks again for your help and Happy Riding!!

I looked up George Kohler, reading this gets me pretty excited, there must be a reason why he chooses the FX450, maybe it's just a blast to ride :smirk:

(you know that's the kind of stuff I want to hear..Ha ha, the bike just looks so cool and different, I've always cheered for the underdog in any situation, MX in this case... On top of that, NO ONE around here has one :lol:, why do I always want to be different?...lol)

Thanks for the info :excuseme:

"MXA's George Kohler can ride any bike in the MXA stable—his personal choice is the Husaberg FX450".

This pic is from REM Glenn Helen from the last year or two I'm guessing, man would I love to pic his brain and find out his set up..:lol:

GeorgeKohlerFX450.jpg

Any info on tall guy set up?, I've read it can be cramped for taller riders and am hoping with bar risers(will standard one's work?) and a taller seat (is one available?) that would solve these issues..

Husaberg does have tall seats for sale, I've seen them at my local shop and online.

Done Deal :lol: Heading to Springfield MO next Sat Nov 7th to pick up my 2010 FX450 :smirk:, I'm ready to leave NOW!!! Gotta wait as we are leaving tomorrow morning for a race in Ponca City Oklahoma this weekend that one of my sons has been running their fall series in. Thanks again for your input :excuseme:

that is a bike with no linkage in the rear would not be good for motorcross

it will not have a neutral feel even under power

Greg - you will love the FX!

I rode YZ / WR Yamaha's for many years, and the FX is much more roomy all around. I recently swopped rides with a buddy on a 2010 YZ450F just to compare the feel, and the YZ made me feel really cramped - Bars too far back and knees too high up - really uncomfortable sitting and standing...

There are various settings for the 'Berg handlebars so you should not need to buy any aftermarket goodies to find a comfortable position.

Enjoy!

Greg - you will love the FX!

I rode YZ / WR Yamaha's for many years, and the FX is much more roomy all around. I recently swopped rides with a buddy on a 2010 YZ450F just to compare the feel, and the YZ made me feel really cramped - Bars too far back and knees too high up - really uncomfortable sitting and standing...

There are various settings for the 'Berg handlebars so you should not need to buy any aftermarket goodies to find a comfortable position.

Enjoy!

That's cool, I like hearing that:cheers: I owned a 98 YZ 400 and an 01 YZ426, I went to the KX after riding one, just felt roomier, If the Berg is somewhere in between, that would be great. How did your YZ bud like your Berg?

I believe this bike will work for me as I'm not a serious Mxer any more, I'm just too beat up physically, but I still want to bang bars with my buds for fun and have something I'll enjoy play riding on as well as an occasional hare scramble.

Here's a link on the race kit offered on the 2010 FX450, I think this will get the bike were I need it to be :lol:

http://blogs.dirtrider.com/6722640/industry-buzz/husaberg-fx-450-race-kit-promotion/index.html

I'll post some pics after I pick it up. I'm hoping I can ride by next week as I tweeked my ole body pretty good at Saturday's practice at Ponca City... On a positive note my Son Josh finished the Ponca City Fall MX series 2nd in 450B and Open Outlaw, I'm proud of him, he gave 100% and that's all I can ask :excuseme:

I'm hoping I can ride our 43rd annual Turkey Run, 2 hr Hare Scramble on Nov. 21st.

http://www.jeepscycleclub.com/

if you like a fairly fast 4 mile loop and are near south central KS, this wood be a fun race to come to.

Again, thanks for the input,

Peace Brothers, and happy riding :smirk:

How did your YZ bud like your Berg?

The YZ bud was a dud. He said the Berg felt too "wide" for him and that the bars were too far forward. Duh... Also, he did not like the power and the handling. I said he should stick to the YZ, gr8 bike, etc. Go figure. I only met him once and we never rode again together.

I was happy to give him back his steed, and I think he was jealous of mine!

The YZ bud was a dud. He said the Berg felt too "wide" for him and that the bars were too far forward. Duh... Also, he did not like the power and the handling. I said he should stick to the YZ, gr8 bike, etc. Go figure. I only met him once and we never rode again together.

I was happy to give him back his steed, and I think he was jealous of mine!

Ha ha that's funny, I'm really excited to ride this bike. From what I've read the FX450 has mellower/usable power than the current F.I. MX bikes, and that's what I'm looking for, not to mention the E start :excuseme: . Also with the Factory Connection suspension set up for me, that will help as well.

I remember when my son's first got their new 09 F.I. KX450's, they were like "these things are stupid fast"..lol At their level, they make use of it, and can hang on...

Like I said, I'm not a serious MX'er anymore and just want a fun bike to ride in many conditions. I have several experienced vet MX/hare scramble buddy's that are excited to see and test this bike, and I'll gladly let them.

I'm also looking forward to getting input from my 450B MX racing son's on this bike, Here's a pic of them from this summer at a local SX race on their KX450F's battling for the lead in the 450B class, Josh 21 yrs old in Blue and white and Justin 24 in black and white, I'll have to get some pics of Josh throw'n some whips on the FX450 as I don't whip....lol

Thanks again for your input. :lol:

Two Brothers Racing and having fun, how cool is that.. :smirk:

40941_155882977762205_143500245667145_529877_4789519_n.jpg

Thought I better update for those interested...

Made the 9 hr round trip Saturday, I'm always up for a road trip : )

Finally got to see the FX450 up close, wow, what a beautiful machine!!

Dwight and the guys at 417 Power sports in Springfield Mo are Just Great!!

We went down for the Berg and also brought back a 04 CRF150F for my girl friend...lol, she's got an xr100 but we'd already been talking about a 150, fits her better and she loves it. Back to the FX450, got'r home and took the first 15min break in ride, 1/4 throttle and all, still need to do a couple more and then an oil change. Hoping to get that done this week... I jammed up my back pretty good while practicing in Oklahoma the weekend before going to get my new bike. I'm still pretty sore so my Brand new FX450 is just sitting waiting for me to ride it.... it's killing me...Ugh!!! It may be a few weeks (I hope that's all) before I can really get a good impression of the bike... Sorry no Action pics yet, Just one of the FX in my truck on the way home.. I'll post again as soon as I really get to ride it :thumbsup:

Thanks again for your help and input :p

IMG_20101106_140220.jpg

Edited by Gregg628

Well, maybe I should have stayed off the MX track, or at least not try to be a young daredevil, especially considering my previous back surgery. got the call from the Dr's office this morning as I'd had x rays done last Thurs after my "incident" on my other bike the weekend before. I have a L-2 compression fracture and some movement around the other vertebrates that were fused with rods in 08. They are going to do Kyphoplasty to try and repair it. I don't see the surgeon until next Thurs. I probably should have given it up and maybe should. But as soon as I felt good enough to ride, I did, and may again, can't help it. I love off road riding and racing.... For now my new bike will sit until I see what the outcome of this is. My MX days may be over, but I my have the perfect bike to just go have fun on. If I can ride, I will, even if it's just play riding, I hope I can. :p

I'll resurrect this thread when I have a chance to Ride the beautiful FX450

Thanks again for your input:thumbsup: