Australian DR-Z owners thread?

I'm in Armidale NSW. It's great riding country and luckily with a farm I have 4000 acres all to myself. At the moment it doesn't have the number plate/tail light bracket or mirrors cause I'm using it off road only, but I can swap tyres and ride around town. I need a second set of rims though, changing tyres with levers only gets pretty tedious.

Once you ride the DRZ after farm bikes everything feels very slow indeed. I love it.

P1060850.jpg

I gather most of you SM guys have insurance? I'm considering insurance for mine (fire & theft at least). Who would you recommend to go with?

Looking around online I've found AAMI to be pretty cheap (for me) $400 full comp or $160 for Third party + fire & theft. Some places (NRMA) want $1000+ for full comp.

Shannons appears to be a popular choice however won't insure me (under 25).

Apparently QBE is a cheap provider also.

Either way I've already ordered a GPS tracker from DealExtreme http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=897262 and will get a Vodaphone prepaid SIM that lasts 365 days until needing to be recharged http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal/prepaid-mobile/365day/index.htm. Considering the value of my bike it may not be worth getting insurance if I am able to track my bike if it ever gets stolen. The GPS option will only cost $84 + $20 for the first year and $20 in prepaid topups every year after :p

Jab that looks alright to me. Whats your driving/riding experience and how old are you? Im 25 with 1 year riding experience/no driving experience and I had to pay 1600 when I was a learner with no experience and the next year it was just over 1000$ full comp on a 2009 drz including 2000$ of mods. QBE was cheapest for me insuremyride wanted 16-1800$ from memory+, swarn and others were 2000$+. Im guessing you have driving experience hence the better price over my insurance costs. I mainly went full comp because the price difference between fire and theft wasnt much of a big deal. Also if you join netrider which is like 10$ or something small to join up you can get a 5% dicount with QBE as they are a motorcycle club.

I'm 23, no accidents etc. I've have had my car license since 2004 and had my motorbike L's the whole time, I only just recently did the test to get my motorbike P's.

I forgot to mention the cheapest quote I got was actually $377.95 for full comp from Swann Insurance and their pay by the month option works out to be exactly the same price.

Hi guys, Brisbane here. Anyone have an MRD/SSW exuast on their Aussie 'E'. Just wondering if it will fit as the USA E is different.

I don't see why it wouldn't but i'm not motorbike guru. Had no problems fitting it on my 2009 sm. Your best bet would be to email them Grantr. It's dave@mrd-racing.com. He's normally pretty prompt at replying and very helpful when I dealt with him.

Hi All.

I ride a 2010 SM in Adelaide. Bought it new recently and running it in.Loving the bike thus far (950kms) but hate the exhaust sound , really asthmatic sound to it. Got an FMF powercore 4 slip on but it's way too loud so the stock exhaust is back on. Changed the mirrors to wider lighter units , fitted barkbusters and a unifilter. Must admit , Ive not seen many SM's on the roads around these parts. Got the bike to commute on , do the hills on weekends and pretty much go anywhere.

Well there's my 2cents worth , enjoy your ride jabtronic.

Hi guys, Brisbane here. Anyone have an MRD/SSW exuast on their Aussie 'E'. Just wondering if it will fit as the USA E is different.

I have the MRD on my E. I had a few hassles getting it to fit. Where it bolts to the front of the subframe was about 2mm to wide so it pushed the can back over the rear wheel. A quick grind and it was all good.

Funny thing is today I finally finished my build project and started the bike. Last week I fitted the SM wheels from the TT 475 with a 320mm front rotor and steel brake line. It started and ran nicely. I am still having a clutch issue where it will not disengage properly making taking off and stopping a bit difficult. I still managed to go for a 25km ride and just as I pulled up at my garage door the engine stalled because I could not get it into neutral fast enough and as I squeezed the front brake lever it went all the way to the bars. I looked down and saw fluid going every where. My nice and shiney new brake line had moved and had been rubbing on the rotor. Thank fully it broke when it did and not trying to stop from 100. Looks like I gotta get the clutch out again and figure out why its not working and replace the front brake line. But the MRD sounds awsome and the pops on decel are quite loud but I don't mind them. Get one as soon as you can.

As for insurance there is also Insure my Ride but you have to have a clean record for five years to get cover. Insurance is hard for me because I lost my license for 12 months speeding a few years ago.

Long live the Z and go aussies!!

Hi,

New to DR-Z and new to Thumper Talk.

I own a 2010 Sm model and use it for commuting in Melbourne. I have never seen another one in Melbourne (I'm sure there are plenty around).

There can't be a better bike built for commuting than this. It's light easy to throw around and it will go ANYWHERE!!

I just love the thing.

As for insurance, I'm 36 good driving record and I got full coverage with QBE for $350.

I'm in Armidale NSW. It's great riding country and luckily with a farm I have 4000 acres all to myself. At the moment it doesn't have the number plate/tail light bracket or mirrors cause I'm using it off road only, but I can swap tyres and ride around town. I need a second set of rims though, changing tyres with levers only gets pretty tedious.

Once you ride the DRZ after farm bikes everything feels very slow indeed. I love it.

P1060850.jpg

finally, someone else in Armidale, i'm going to UNE at the moment. DRZ will be my next bike.

finally, someone else in Armidale, i'm going to UNE at the moment. DRZ will be my next bike.

I know some folks in Armodale too.:p

I gather most of you SM guys have insurance? I'm considering insurance for mine (fire & theft at least). Who would you recommend to go with?

Looking around online I've found AAMI to be pretty cheap (for me) $400 full comp or $160 for Third party + fire & theft. Some places (NRMA) want $1000+ for full comp.

Shannons appears to be a popular choice however won't insure me (under 25).

Apparently QBE is a cheap provider also.

Either way I've already ordered a GPS tracker from DealExtreme http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=897262 and will get a Vodaphone prepaid SIM that lasts 365 days until needing to be recharged http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal/prepaid-mobile/365day/index.htm. Considering the value of my bike it may not be worth getting insurance if I am able to track my bike if it ever gets stolen. The GPS option will only cost $84 + $20 for the first year and $20 in prepaid topups every year after :p

$199 full comp for mine this year QBE, might have to change the policy slightly with all my mods now.

Hi,

New to DR-Z and new to Thumper Talk.

I own a 2010 Sm model and use it for commuting in Melbourne. I have never seen another one in Melbourne (I'm sure there are plenty around).

There can't be a better bike built for commuting than this. It's light easy to throw around and it will go ANYWHERE!!

I just love the thing.

As for insurance, I'm 36 good driving record and I got full coverage with QBE for $350.

I've got insuremyride for about $200 pa

Another aussie chiming in. I'm in NW Sydney, commute most days if possble on my 08 SM.

i am in melbourne . and ride a 08 E

Nice to finally hear from another Victorian. I know there are more of you out there.

I'm just outside the Barossa Valley, South Australia. 09 E.

$199 full comp for mine this year QBE, might have to change the policy slightly with all my mods now.

Hi All, Craig here ,from Narangba,( South east Coastal Queensland):p

The 2010 sm was about $230 full comprehensive insurance when it was stock..( Suncorp)

I think I would have to take a loan if I was to tell the insurer of all my mods ..:thumbsup:

Im in Sydney - commute from Wahroonga to City most days. 2010 SM.