jabtronic

Australian DR-Z owners thread?

3,730 posts in this topic

Im in Sydney - commute from Wahroonga to City most days. 2010 SM.

DRZ-SM= Ideal commute bike, there's no such thing as a traffic jam!!

DRZ-SM= Ideal commute bike, there's no such thing as a traffic jam!!

:thumbsup::p Thats right! except i try behave as best as possible as to avoid unwanted attention!

Anybody know if it is a requirement to have a battery for rego in QLD? Also does the stop light have to be activated by both brakes or only one?

I'm guessing a battery isn't needed (as long as lights work when bike is running) and that the stop light needs to be hooked up to both front and rear, but thought I'd check first.

Jabtronic , If you can afford it , I would have them both operate the stop light when you pit the bike . The less they can question the better your chances with some of those guys . If you wanted to go batteryless then I would do it after you get your rego sorted , in case they have issues with no lighting without the engine running . I have pitted 2 bikes for rego changes , from state to state and single seat rego for the DRZ , both times they didnt give the bike a second look and just checked all my paper work . The only thing they wanted to verify was that the frame and vin numbers matched all the records . Has your bike ever been registered ? If it has it can help a lot if you can provide proof of any previous registration , then it is just paperwork and stamp duty . I would give a licensing department a call , then they can tell you what you really need and it will only cost a call , greg

Im in the sutherland shire in sydney. Destickered black 2009 SM. You can generally hear me before you see me hooning around the area :p.

Peoples with JD jet kits. What needle do you run, blue or red? I'm finding it hard to choose because our winters and cool and summers are warm.

Blue needle :p and play with the clips.

4th clip for warmer weather apparently.

Just regurgitating some info I've read elsewhere.

Sutherland isn't far from Wollongong. Do you get up to Stanwell tops much or go up Macquarie pass?

The amount of info on these forums is just amazing, I'm still discovering a heap of mods to do and things to check.. I've already lost count of how many times I've had to go downstairs to check if a particular part or feature is on my bike. :thumbsup:

A few things so far...

I've noticed the factory hole in my airbox measures roughly 3.5x3.5, so I'm interested to inspect the FCR carb soon and find out what the jetting is like.

My gearing is 14/52, I havn't read of anyone else running a high rear sprocket so I guess mine isn't factory.

I'm having a hard time finding somewhere to put a battery, I think I'll just end up getting the smallest 12v batt I can find from Jaycar etc and will mount it in the airbox? A 1.3Ah battery should be suffice to power an simple alarm right? (remember mine is kickstart)

Also on the kicker enginer the EU/AU PAIR Valve/Solenoid Removal is NOT needed :p

Blue needle :thumbsup: and play with the clips.

4th clip for warmer weather apparently.

Just regurgitating some info I've read elsewhere.

Sutherland isn't far from Wollongong. Do you get up to Stanwell tops much or go up Macquarie pass?

Thanks ill give it a try as I'm still using the emn. Never done MAC pass but I do ride the nasho through to stairwell tops very often. Assuming the weather is good one or twice a week. I love giving all the sports bike riders a run for their money on my dirt bike but they don't seem to like it when getting over taken by someone on red Ps. Hehe :p

The amount of info on these forums is just amazing, I'm still discovering a heap of mods to do and things to check.. I've already lost count of how many times I've had to go downstairs to check if a particular part or feature is on my bike. :thumbsup:

A few things so far...

I've noticed the factory hole in my airbox measures roughly 3.5x3.5, so I'm interested to inspect the FCR carb soon and find out what the jetting is like.

My gearing is 14/52, I havn't read of anyone else running a high rear sprocket so I guess mine isn't factory.

I'm having a hard time finding somewhere to put a battery, I think I'll just end up getting the smallest 12v batt I can find from Jaycar etc and will mount it in the airbox? A 1.3Ah battery should be suffice to power an simple alarm right? (remember mine is kickstart)

Also on the kicker enginer the EU/AU PAIR Valve/Solenoid Removal is NOT needed :p

The STD battery fitment is under the left side panel , above the rear wheel , doesnt yours have one ? In your pic I can see something that looks like the battery box , but the muffler is in the road . If it doesnt , there was a thread where someone did put a battery in his airbox , so it can be done . greg

The STD battery fitment is under the left side panel , above the rear wheel , doesnt yours have one ? In your pic I can see something that looks like the battery box , but the muffler is in the road . If it doesnt , there was a thread where someone did put a battery in his airbox , so it can be done . greg

I do recall however that Eddie and Bronco did not recommend doing this beacuse it reduces the volume of the air box to much. If you pull the left rear side cover off the should be three empty bolt holes where the battery gets fitted.

My bike didn't come with a battery, the headlight runs directly off the regulator.

It's currently pulled apart for cleaning/inspection but I've chucked the airbox back in for a quick pic..

DSC_0899.jpg

As you can see there's no mount or holes on my subframe for a battery box. I suppose I could maybe weld some brackets off the side and cut away at the back of the side plastics. I'll have to see what size the battery will be.

I'm from little old Adelaide.

Ride a 2010 SM.

Just getting some more experience on it before i start trying anything crazy like track days.

Can anyone recommend an exceptional mechanic in sydney who can rebuild my drz motor, I live in the sutherland shire but dont mind travelling to find someone who is pro (kinda like eddie but I doupt that will happen lol)

Hey Toggles - Do you ride much? I have not seen a single 2010sm in Adelaide apart from mine...was beginning to think Im alone with the KTM's and CRF's here.

Im North of the city though , and commute towards Holden.

Can anyone recommend an exceptional mechanic in sydney who can rebuild my drz motor, I live in the sutherland shire but dont mind travelling to find someone who is pro (kinda like eddie but I doupt that will happen lol)

What did you do to it?

Or just after some upgrades?

I've only just realised that I will never be able to rego my kicker because it does not have a compliance plate :p

Damn I feel like an idiot now. I should have researched this before I bought it :thumbsup:

I guess my only option now is to find an E model frame (doubtful), sell it (or part it out) and buy an E instead :mad::bonk:

What did you do to it?

Or just after some upgrades?

Just after some go fast goodies mainly bb and cans but I'm not competent to do it myself.